Am I bound to this job legally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cadet133

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I was offered a job and I accepted via email. I was only shown salary and benefits. Never signed a formal letter and never signed contract. I recieved a contract 2 weeks later and Im now having second thoughts. If I back out can they pursue legal action?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently I was offered a job and I accepted via email. I was only shown salary and benefits. Never signed a formal letter and never signed contract. I recieved a contract 2 weeks later and Im now having second thoughts. If I back out can they pursue legal action?

IANL, I think you’ll be fine legally; however, will be black listed for the job/hospital/group. I’d find a reason to turn it down, and communicate with them. No contract no commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
No you arent but there are other consequences as above.

The fact that you think you could somehow be legally bound by an email is a great indicator that you should hire a lawyer to help you understand your contract.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

A recruiter I worked with in the past me told me that in this particular situation, the answer is a straight NO.

If you were already legally bound they wouldn't have had to send you a contract

Reactions: 1 users
If you were already legally bound they wouldn't have had to send you a contract

Incidentally, it's how I also cancel plans I originally made a week ago. I said yes...but no contract so I'm not obligated.