Am I capable of becoming a doctor/med student (Life decision, please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruckerparklegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would truly appreciate the help of everyone on here because I know how helpful and courteous you all can be but I need the harsh truth. Here goes:

My goal has always been to become a physician and it's something that my mom wanted for me (which drives me towards working harder bc of the sacrifices she makes for me). However, I was never in any accelerated programs except for AP in high school, and despite changing up studying styles numerous times in college while seeking tutoring and help from professors, I didnt do well in my undergrad science courses (sGPA = 2.96, cGPA = 3.6; got a D in Orgo 1, C's in Bio 1 +2, biochem, B's in rest of MCAT science courses except for physics (A's). MCAT score = 501; so I am currently taking post-bacc courses to boost my sGPA but these courses are extremely difficult and despite coming to class prepared and studying daily as if I have an exam the next day, I struggle with understanding concepts in class. Despite going to office hours also, whenever we do in-class problems, I feel like everyone understands everything so quickly while it takes me time, and I always feel lost. I felt this way throughout high school and undergrad, believing me to think that I am not smart enough to excel in med school. Don;t get me wrong, I put in so much hard work but always come up short in my hard sciences despite having a 4.0 with non-sciences (social sciences, psych, health, gen eds ,etc.).

Although only 1 month into my post-bacc program, I already feel like the practice problems and homework in my biology courses are difficult and might end up lowering my cGPA when the purpose of the post-bacc was to increase it. I want to be at a level where I can excel in med school because I know how much worse it is in med school, but if I can't excel now, is it worth it? Should I switch careers? I have this dream and I feel like I've given it my all, so should I face the fact that I am not capable enough to become a doctor? I thought that studying hard sciences more sharply + retaking the MCAT would allow me to have a change at applying soon, but now I'm not so sure. I really believed the quote that "you can do anything you put your mind towards", but now I just wonder if I am not capable. As a Christian, I do NOT want to fall into that "God has a plan for everyone" excuse, nor do I want to quit, but I wonder if this just isnt for me.

I would greatly appreciate honest advice, and I promise I can take the hit. This is a major decision of my life that I want to hear about from fellow people in my area. Thank you, I would greatly appreciate all your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
(sGPA = 2.96, cGPA = 3.6; got a D in Orgo 1, C's in Bio 1 +2, biochem, B's in rest of MCAT science courses except for physics (A's).
Your cGPA is passable. Your sGPA definitely needs improvement. Sounds like the post-bacc could help with this. It also couldn't hurt to retake some of those classes you did poorly in, if you are so inclined.
MCAT score = 501
This definitely needs to be retaken, as I'm sure you already know. Don't rush it, this will be a long process.
I feel like everyone understands everything so quickly while it takes me time, and I always feel lost. I felt this way throughout high school and undergrad, believing me to think that I am not smart enough to excel in med school.
I've felt this way since the third grade and it doesn't go away. However, I am a strong proponent of the "fake it till you make it" mentality.
might end up lowering my cGPA when the purpose of the post-bacc was to increase it. I want to be at a level where I can excel in med school because I know how much worse it is in med school, but if I can't excel now, is it worth it? Should I switch careers? I have this dream and I feel like I've given it my all, so should I face the fact that I am not capable enough to become a doctor?
Give the post-bacc more time, you may actually find that you do much better than you were expecting! I would suggest that you really leave it all on the field this semester, and then you can start making decisions about your preparedness for medical school.

By the way, figuring out how to study correctly requires bold, persistent, experimentation (to borrow from FDR). Don't equate studying more with studying better. Figure out how you best absorb the material and attack from that angle. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.