Am I competitive at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
25 MCAt (6V, 10P, and 9B) and 3.45 GPA (3.7 in last two years)
Everything else on my apps are great Great EC's, Great LORs

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kumar28
25 MCAt (6V, 10P, and 9B) and 3.45 GPA (3.7 in last two years)

I would definitely take the MCAT again and try to boost your verbal score. Do this by doing TONS of practice passages (from Kaplan or whatnot) and by reading from relatively difficult journals related to various science and humanities fields (journals you might access through a proxy from your local university or library)

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends on what your other circumstances are? If your not a native english speaker then a low verbal score can be overlooked. I would aply to lower tier schools and see what happens. If you don't get in then retake the MCAT and try to pull up the verbal score. That's what kept me out last year amd I studied a ton and improved. Improving a few points on the sciences shouldn't be that hard either if you study hard. I wouldn't say that you are competitive as far as GPA and MCAT goes but med schools look at more than numbers. Just try and see what happens. If not then retake and study in a different manner than you did last time. I would recommend taking tons of practice tests. ;)

HEY Kumar28,

I do not want to be the bearer of bad news, but in all honesty, I don't think you are a very competitive candidate. Now, unfortunately, I am only basing this on the numbers you provided. I understand that you have other great things in your app but I know schools really look at the MCAT and GPA.

Last year, I applied to 33 schools. I only got 1 interview and I was waitlisted at that school until the end of August. I am now reapplying even though I did so real late in the game. I have a 25 MCAT and have taken the test 3 times. My GPA is 3.7. MY EC's are very plentiful, my LOR's speak volumes, but I think its true that the poor MCAT will not be overlooked.

I would recommend that you try to re-take the test. Try to uP your verbal score. Also, if English isn't your 1st language I think the adcoms may give you some slack. Also, not to inflame the crowd, but if you are an URM then I would say to apply with the 25. 3 of my friends that got 25's and are URMs are currently in med school...at good schools too.

I truly wish you the best. Feel free to PM me if you like!!!

Good luck:)

HEY Kumar28,

I do not want to be the bearer of bad news, but in all honesty, I don't think you are a very competitive candidate. Now, unfortunately, I am only basing this on the numbers you provided. I understand that you have other great things in your app but I know schools really look at the MCAT and GPA.

Last year, I applied to 33 schools. I only got 1 interview and I was waitlisted at that school until the end of August. I am now reapplying even though I did so real late in the game. I have a 25 MCAT and have taken the test 3 times. My GPA is 3.7. MY EC's are very plentiful, my LOR's speak volumes, but I think its true that the poor MCAT will not be overlooked.

I would recommend that you try to re-take the test. Try to uP your verbal score. Also, if English isn't your 1st language I think the adcoms may give you some slack. Also, not to inflame the crowd, but if you are an URM then I would say to apply with the 25. 3 of my friends that got 25's and are URMs are currently in med school...at good schools too.

I truly wish you the best. Feel free to PM me if you like!!!

Good luck:)

i wish you the best too kumar28...

I think you have to look at taking the MCAT again as the others have suggested....

seeing how you have had an increase in your GPA will show adcoms that you are on an upward trend... when you say you have GREAT Ec's what does that mean? (were you conducting peace missions in africa?) :eek: ... if you have some really 'great' and unique stuff, then you can always talk about that if you get an interview... (that is if...)

another thing is you can look into applying to state schools and see what you get!... (they like residents)

holler, heel I sincerely appreciate your honest reply's. I believe taking the MCAT again is probably my best bet. I have received admission into KCOM however. Would you go there? I know DO's are on the rise and they do have the same practicing rights. KCOM also has great residency placements. Honest opinions please??

KCOM is an excellent medical school, even compared to allopathic ones. I'm not sure how much you know about the DO system (I assume you know quite a bit since you must've interviewed at KCOM), but you can't make your decision unless you're well informed. I suggest you go take a look at the pre-DO forum. DO's are equal to MD's and can practice in all 50 states. They can match into allopathic residencies, though they have a harder time doing so. If you don't really care about the MD after your name (and most people don't), then I would suggest you take the KCOM offer and kick ass there.

hi kumar,
my personal (honest) opinion is that although DOs have the same practiicing rights, it think there is a bit of a stigma attached to going to DO school instead of an Allopathic MD place. I know there are people who truly prefer the DO approach, but you don't sound like you have such a personal preference. my recommendation would be to focus on attaining *at least* a 29-30 on the MCAT and reapply if you don't hear from Allo schools this year. If you don't want to put in this effort or don't care about MD vs. OD then go to KCOM.
Good luck.
chloe

Originally posted by kumar28
holler, heel I sincerely appreciate your honest reply's. I believe taking the MCAT again is probably my best bet. I have received admission into KCOM however. Would you go there? I know DO's are on the rise and they do have the same practicing rights. KCOM also has great residency placements. Honest opinions please??