Medical Am I competitive for DO? And low tier MD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on SDN and I am hoping to get some insight on the competitiveness of my application to DO and MD schools.

Here are my stats:
cGPA- 3.82
sGPA- 3.75(AACOMAS), 3.79 (AMCAS)
MCAT- 502 (126/124/124/128) *considering a retake, family member passed away right before test which caused me to put studying on hold
Non traditional Caucasian female applicant
4,000+ hours of paid clinical research
5 hours shadowing DO
60 hours shadowing in Europe
4 hours shadowing clinical psychologist
Worked in 2 different undergraduate labs
120 hours of clinical volunteering
LORs: 2 MDs, 1 supervisor, 2 SFs and committee letter
2 posters, working on a publication
Several leadership positions during undergrad
Live in New England

Is my application competitive enough with a low MCAT? Should I consider a retake? I have already submitted a bunch of secondaries and have only received one interview invitation, should I add more schools?
Your MCAT isn't stellar, but you otherwise have a strong application. The last application cycle had an applicant average of 506 and the average student who enrolled in medical school had an average of 511. Keep in mind that people below that get in. I would say you would have a problem if your GPA was 3.2 and your MCAT 502, but you still have a chance. I would still recommend retaking it though.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your goal. If your goal is to get in this cycle no matter what, I would not retake and I would apply to both MD and DO. You will get plenty of DO interviews and if you don’t get into an MD, you could go DO and start your career.

If you for sure want to try for MD, your best option would be to retake the MCAT and try and score 510+ to give yourself the best shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, my exam was canceled twice and I already had submitted my primaries so I felt pressured to take it even with the poor circumstances. But I do appreciate your advice, if I could go back I wouldn’t have taken it!
I’ve been looking around your posts on SDN and it looks like you’ve been a huge help to applicants who need someone to look over their school lists. Would you mind looking over mine?

DO:
VCOM SC and VA
LECOM FL (interview in September)
Campbell
Nova
NYITCOM
UNECOM
Marian
Touro NY
*considering adding PCOM, Rowan, and LECOM Elmira

MD:
Wright State
Loyola
Uniformed Health Services
UMASS (MA resident)
Meharry
Albany Medical College
You're lethal for those MD schools except U MA. Try U WV, Loyola.

Delete NIVA and Rowan, add LECOM.E, ACOM, KCOM,

@Goro @TheBoneDoctah Thank you both so much! I will look into these schools. I looked for appointments to retake and it looks like the are all taken for September; I’ll keep checking several times a day and hopefully I’ll find something. But if not, would a retake in January be even considered this cycle?
January is too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.