Am I Competitive for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean jones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am an internal medicine resident at a top 20 medicine program. I have mediocre board scores - step 1 200/step 2 200.

How competitive would I be for EM, if I am already board certified in IM? Will completing another residency affect my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

sean jones said:
Hey. I am an internal medicine resident at a top 20 medicine program. I have mediocre board scores - step 1 200/step 2 200.

How competitive would I be for EM, if I am already board certified in IM? Will completing another residency affect my chances.
Fatty Mc Fattypants would suggest a search is in order here.

See the FAQ.. of course its a little different since you already have experience. Truth is this though... for a regular person 200 is real low but I think you prob could and would match somewhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
sean jones said:

I would talk with the PD at your medical school and the institution you're at now in order to review your entire application and get advice. Board scores are a piece of the puzzle, and while yours are not impressive, they should not stop you from getting into EM if you have other aspects of your application that are strong. If you're about to complete IM at a top 20, and have done well, that should help.

Good luck. If EM is what you love, do what you need to do to get there.