Podiatry Am I competitive for Podiatry school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi I would love your opinion on my chances of getting into podiatry school.
I have a 3.1cgpa, 2.34sgpa but taking 8 credits of science classes which I have an A in and will probably keep it that way so by the end of December my sgpa will be 2.67, 495 MCAT but retaking to get 500+ in January. -Is that too late to apply? Should I apply with my 495 now and update after? I wanted to apply later so that my stats would be much better and also for possible scholarship if I do well on my MCAT (500+)
I have over 400+ hours as a medical scribe in the ER
Shadowed a podiatrist for 20 hours,
volunteered at a crisis center for 60 + hours
volunteered at dementia nursing homes for 100+ hours
have done psychology research for two years
taught at little medical school- teaching elementary school children about the body systems
Was a TA for a psychology outreach course at the university.

I'll be applying to all 9 schools! Do you think I have a chance/when would you recommend applying? Thank you again!
You will get the best response to your question by posting in SDN's Pre-Podiatry Forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA is too low. Keep taking higher-level bio classes and bring it up to 3.0 at least.

You won't survive Pod school with your current stats. January-March is not late; the deadline for AACPMAS is on June 30th of each year and there are times when a student applies a few weeks before and still gets in (granted their stats are stellar).
In your case, I would advise bringing that sci GPA up. 495 is fine but retaking the MCAT and scoring close to 500+ will increase a chance for a scholarship. Your ECs are great.

Check out the threads in the Pod forum; they can help with your chances as well and feel free to ask more there or by sending me a PM. We do our best (as pod students) to help anyone in the pod forum. Good luck!

I have an upward trend in my science classes in my last two years and taking 8 credits this semester as well! I will also be taking classes next semester around 8-12. If I do get a 500+ on the MCAT do you think it will compensate for my low sGPA? (Along with recent science class grades). I really want to get into NYCPM, Barry, Temple or Scholl. Do you think with my stats I could? Thank you so much for all your advice!

What specific biomedical science classes are you taking that contribute to the upward trend in your sGPA?

Have you talked with anyone at any of the nine pod schools about your application? Anyone=students, admissions officers, faculty, alumni?

So what is your projected Sci GPA end of next semester? Out of those programs, your best shot is probably at Barry and Scholl (granted your sci GPA improves around a 3.0). NYCPM/Temple usually take a 3.2-3.3 GPAs and around 497 MCAT on average. Scoring high on the MCAT will def increase your chance for an interview. IMO, there is no point rushing into this; do well in the classes now and apply when you know you can make it out.

It would be 2.7+ next semester which would end around May first week. I was hoping to apply in February with my new MCAT score. I know my sGPA is low and that's mostly because they were taken in my first two years of college and I went to a top 20 University and had some family health problems in my first year. Will admission officers take that into account? I have improved as a student in the past two years.

Improvements are always welcomed by Adcoms; but the 2.7 is still lower than average accepted gpa for every program.

You can see the average GPAs here: https://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/New-Applicant-GPA-Average-2015-2018.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.