• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Am I competitive for T30 schools?

BigBoi4545

2+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm planning to apply next cycle, and I'm in love with a T30 school. I am planning out some more ECs to pursue next year, but I may not have time to improve on them as much as I want to. Are there any glaring holes in my app, or any ECs that I need to do before I apply? This is what I have so far:

GPA: 3.86 (2Ds in freshman year, straight 4.0 since).

MCAT: Took a practice FL, got a 518: hoping to emulate this on the actual exam.

Background: White male (North African) from CA

LORs: Should be great: I set the curve in several of my classes, and my professors know me fairly well (I spent WAY too much time in OH lol).

Research: Should have ~800 hours (2 REUs), w/ 2 poster presentations.

Volunteering: 200 hours of clinical volunteering in the US (plan to get another 50ish next year), and 100 hours of clinical volunteering in a clinic in my home country (North Africa)

Shadowing: Planning to do 50 hours of shadowing docs in various specialties during the next year

Work: Summer Mentor for under-served high school kids (all first-gen and low-income) to convince them to apply to college, and help them navigate through the college application process. 400 hours.

Worked as a tutor for various programs at my college (~100 hours)

Planning to work in the AmeriCorps during my gap year in a clinical capacity

ECs: I started a website to track the BLM protests that are currently happening around the US with some friends (including somebody that is fairly high-profile), with the intention of helping protesters stay safe and informed. The website has been featured by several news sites.

Currently leading a chapter of an org that is dedicated to delivering food to senior citizens, although it isn't a huge operation (6 volunteers).

Volunteering at my mosque doing various tasks (such as food distribution) during the pandemic (70-100 hours.)

Planning to volunteer for a homeless shelter for the entirety of the next school year (hopefully around 150 hours)

Working on creating a college-matching website with some friends during quarantine. I love helping high school students with college applications, so this was a natural outlet for this passion during quarantine.

Captain of intramural soccer team for 1.5 years (we suck, but it's a lot of fun to have something to do that is non-academic)

Founder of Chemistry Club at my school (mostly centered around tutoring other kids in my OChem class with a fellow student)

Vice President of IT for AMSA at my school (1 semester)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I'm planning to apply next cycle, and I'm in love with a T30 school. I am planning out some more ECs to pursue next year, but I may not have time to improve on them as much as I want to. Are there any glaring holes in my app, or any ECs that I need to do before I apply? This is what I have so far:

GPA: 3.86 (2Ds in freshman year, straight 4.0 since).

MCAT: Took a practice FL, got a 518: hoping to emulate this on the actual exam.

Background: White male (North African) from CA

LORs: Should be great: I set the curve in several of my classes, and my professors know me fairly well (I spent WAY too much time in OH lol).

Research: Should have ~800 hours (2 REUs), w/ 2 poster presentations.

Volunteering: 200 hours of clinical volunteering in the US (plan to get another 50ish next year), and 100 hours of clinical volunteering in a clinic in my home country (North Africa)

Shadowing: Planning to do 50 hours of shadowing docs in various specialties during the next year

Work: Summer Mentor for under-served high school kids (all first-gen and low-income) to convince them to apply to college, and help them navigate through the college application process. 400 hours.

Worked as a tutor for various programs at my college (~100 hours)

Planning to work in the AmeriCorps during my gap year in a clinical capacity

ECs: I started a website to track the BLM protests that are currently happening around the US with some friends (including somebody that is fairly high-profile), with the intention of helping protesters stay safe and informed. The website has been featured by several news sites.

Currently leading a chapter of an org that is dedicated to delivering food to senior citizens, although it isn't a huge operation (6 volunteers).

Volunteering at my mosque doing various tasks (such as food distribution) during the pandemic (70-100 hours.)

Planning to volunteer for a homeless shelter for the entirety of the next school year (hopefully around 150 hours)

Working on creating a college-matching website with some friends during quarantine. I love helping high school students with college applications, so this was a natural outlet for this passion during quarantine.

Captain of intramural soccer team for 1.5 years (we suck, but it's a lot of fun to have something to do that is non-academic)

Founder of Chemistry Club at my school (mostly centered around tutoring other kids in my OChem class with a fellow student)

Vice President of IT for AMSA at my school (1 semester)
No you are not competitive until you get a MCAT score

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.