Am I competitive for these DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailor000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for reading this post.

Briefly,

Undergrad. cGPA: 3.2, sGPA:3.0

Boston SMP: 4.0

MCATs: 32 and 31.

pretty much generic premed EC's. Also have >100 hours of volun. hours from international volunteering experiences. >100 hours shadowing (M.D.)

The list of schools that I'm applying this year:

PCOM, MSU, MSUCOM, NYCOM, OUCOM, GAPCOM, UMDNJSOM UNECOM, and TCOM.

The things is, I don't have a DO LOR yet. I'm thinking of shadowing one, and if possible, get a LOR from him/her. Is it true that I can update the adcoms with a LOR from a DO later in the cycle (eg. after interview)?

Thank you for your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Double check to see if TCOM has a TX bias.

Hi,

thanks for reading this post.

Briefly,

Undergrad. cGPA: 3.2, sGPA:3.0

Boston SMP: 4.0

MCATs: 32 and 31.

pretty much generic premed EC's. Also have a couple hundred hours of volun. hours from international volunteering experiences. >100 hours shadowing (M.D.)

The list of schools that I'm applying this year:

PCOM, MSU, MSUCOM, NYCOM, OUCOM, GAPCOM, UMDNJSOM UNECOM, and TCOM.

The things is, I don't have a DO LOR yet. I'm thinking of shadowing one, and if possible, get a LOR from him/her. Is it true that I can update the adcoms with a LOR from a DO later in the cycle (eg. after interview)?

Absolutely! Double check to see if TCOM has a TX bias.
Thanks! It's good to know.

But, I'm also interested in knowing whether I can submit a LOR from a DO later in the cycle (post interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
As a public medical school, TCOM is required by law to fill 90% of its seats with Texas residents. Usually it's a bit higher; however, I think you are very competitive and could easily be one of those lucky few OOS.

Don't know about the LOR, sorry. I don't see why you couldn't.

As a public medical school, TCOM is required by law to fill 90% of its seats with Texas residents. Usually it's a bit higher; however, I think you are very competitive and could easily be one of those lucky few OOS.

Don't know about the LOR, sorry. I don't see why you couldn't.

Agreed, TCOM is pretty strict about OOS. A LOR isn't "necessary" from a DO, but at least shadow one so you can say you're familiar with what DO's do.