Am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessCKNY

Crown Royal Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK. Here are my stats...

MCAT-9v,10p,9b first time and 8v,10p,10b second time

GPA-3.58...sci 3.58 AO 3.57

I think I have fairly decent EC's although I haven't been published, and managed to fill in all 15 spots.

I have yet to request letters, but I think they should be fairly strong except for my non-science one (can't find original writer, so have to scramble for substitute).

I have been told that my personal statement is typical and won't hurt nor hinder my app.

So does this American-born Vietnamese girl have a chance? I decided to apply for 37 schools...yeesh! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are competitive.

I wouldn't apply to so many schools - you'll get a secondary from almost every school to which you apply and won't have time to fill out every one of them - most people get frustrated and tired of them with only 10-15. Not only that, you'll be paying an average of $75 per secondary. I've seen several people apply to that number of schools and they NEVER return all (or even most) of the secondaries. So why pay the extra $30 per school??

Yeah, but I was having a horrible time deciding which schools to not apply to, since they all claim to have same average GPAs and MCATs with just a few schools that are higher or lower.

Can you think of any schools (outside of CA, which is where I am from) that are impossible to get in to (aside from ones that accept only in-state)?

Also, which schools are notorious for sending out secondaries even if they don't intend on accepting you? I know Mayo (not to offend anyone that goes there) has somewhat of a bad track record in that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont listen to them. Apply to LOTS of schools. Your mcat scores are low and your gpa is average. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere, but if you dont apply to enough schools you may not get in this year. Sure you will save a few dollars, but if it takes you an extra year to become a doctor, you are losing atleast $100,000. Trust me when I say to apply everywhere!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by PrincessCKNY:

Also, which schools are notorious for sending out secondaries even if they don't intend on accepting you? I know Mayo (not to offend anyone that goes there) has somewhat of a bad track record in that regard.•••••In the box on the 2nd page of the MSAR describing each school, there's a line that either says:
"School application fee to all applicants" or
"School application fee after screening"

I've noticed that most private schools send out to all applicants, while the state schools (at least in CA) screen first.
:)

Hmm...maybe I'll stick w/ the schools I've got, see which reply, and take into account which schools send out secondaries to all applicants when deciding which secondaries to answer.

Thanks everyone! Wish me luck when I send out my app either tomorrow or the day after!

Definitely apply to plenty of out of state private schools as well as the UC's. I think you will be a competitive applicant. Do try to give your recommenders some advance notice on writing you LOC's.

Oh I definitely have given them notice. I've prepped all of them about it for about two years now, except for my non-science writer. I've established contact w/ them just by visiting, sending cards, etc. and made sure that they are willing to write me a strong letter of rec.

I just came across a mishap recently w/ my non-science letter where the lady that was supposed to write it stopped teaching at my school AND got married and changed her last name. I released the hounds and tried to find her w/ no luck. Maybe I'll tell you guys what her name is and someone will know her by random luck...

Maiden Name: Katherine Turley
Married Name: Katherine Jacobson

When I spoke to her a year ago, she lived in Irvine, CA. :confused: