Am I Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspMedStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you apply very broadly you should be able to get in somewhere.. However this only applies if you have a DO letter. If not sit out this cycle, study hard and then re-take.

Hello to everyone! I am very interested in DO school, specifically PNWU in Yakima, WA. Could a knowledgeable, honest person tell me what my chances are please!?

3.65 cGPA
3.52 AACOMAS sGPA
23M MCAT (VR 6, PS 8, BS 9)
150+ hrs. primary care shadowing (peds, family medicine, internal medicine)
EMT 4 yrs.
2.5 yrs working in children's psychiatric hospital
Internship @ health insurance company
Many hours volunteered with underserved population
Born & raised in rural & underserved area in the NW

I feel my application is quite strong, and I have received secondaries from all MD schools I have applied to (UW-WWAMI, Colorado, Creighton, OHSU, etc.) However, my MCAT score isn't compatible with those schools. Also, I am wondering if I re-take the MCAT and get scores back in mid-October if I will still be in the race for admission this year. If that sets me back, I guess I'll have to take a year off.

I am open for advice/suggestions/constructive criticism! Thanks again!!

My advice would be to save your money when it comes to MD secondaries.. many schools have a cut off of 7 in each section. You may have a shot with DO schools if you are truly interested in that option.
If you really want to go MD, spend this year studying for the MCAT, improve your score to 30+ and apply next cycle.

some info on each DO school:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7658193&postcount=1