Am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MS-III that is very interested in doing an allopathic EM residency. I scored a 211/86 on USMLE and a 597/87% on COMLEX. Am interested in EM programs in CA or AZ. I need some advice on whether or not I should pursue this route at all? Thanks, any input would be great because I have absolutely no idea what is competitive and what isn't..

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to saem.org (and join if you haven't already!). In the student section there is a link to a paper that was published in their journal that describes the factors most often taken into account by EM residency programs. USMLE Step 1 and/or COMLEX is not high on that list. EM rotation grade, interview, and core clinical clerkship grades are the most frequently cited factors.

Good luck,

- H

Would you not apply to residencies if they said their cut off for the USMLE was 212 and the COMLEX was 598?

I would apply to as many places as possible for you and cut down on your interviews from there.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd try to broaden your geographic area if possible. THose numbers will get you a residency somewhere...especially with decent grades and great letters, but there are only 2 programs in AZ and Cali's got several, but you probably should be appling to 20-30 programs and then declining interviews when you've got more than enough.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I am definitely going to apply for a broader geographic area, but I really do want to be in CA or AZ. I know that my USMLE scores are not that great, but am unsure of COMLEX, but not sure if the MD residency programs even care about COMLEX. So I was just trying to get feedback about the scores. If anyone else has anymore input, that would be great.