Nov 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So here's the rundown. I'm currently a junior at UT-Austin and plan to apply to medical school in the Summer. I currently have a 3.7 GPA and a 30Q [11P, 8V, 11B] MCAT score. I work in a research lab here on campus and already have a couple of pubs. I hold an officer position in one of the organizations here and am fairly active in volunteering.

What I want to know is, what are my chances of getting into any of the medical schools here in Texas? My top two choices are UT-Southwestern and Baylor [surprise surprise] followed by any of the UT system schools. But of course, any medical school will do as long as I get in.

One irk that I have is my MCAT score. I feel that it's not as competitive, especially my verbal score. If I had a choice, I wouldn't take it again because I just don't want to have to go through all that one more time. But if I have to, I will.

Please give me any feedback. Thanks!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
It's my opinion that you could have a good chance of an acceptance to one of the Texas schools. If you will have 2+ years of research and won't be happy without the best possible shot at UTSW or Baylor, then retake the MCAT if there's a reasonable chance of scoring 3+ points more.

I suggest you get in some physician shadowing prior to applying, as Texas schools like to see that. Aim for at least 50, but ideally 60-80 hours split among 2-3 docs, of which at least one is primary care. Also, hopefully your volunteering includes both clinical as well as nonmedical community service.

Feb 11, 2010
Status
I hear (and I maybe wrong) that ut southwestern is big on research... given that you have two pubs I would think you would be a good candidate...

OP
J
Nov 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks Catalystik! I've been meaning to get in some doctor shadowing in, but I'm not quite sure how to get that started. Do I just contact a physician and ask if I can shadow them or is there another way?

I've also heard that UTSW and Baylor are big on research, so I'm hoping my research experience will help me get in.