Am I Completely Nuts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSurvivor1986

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

This is a long story so please bear with me.

What does everyone have to say about older adults wanting to become doctors? I was an excellent student in high school and I earned a full scholarship to a private college in the Mid Atlantic region to double major in accounting and pre-law. I did pretty well my first semester until a medical misdiagnosis made me really sick and I lost my scholarship. I dropped out of college and ended up in an abusive marriage that I escaped five years ago. I did a stint as an OTR truck driver and I then met and fell in love with a career Air Force man. We ended up getting stationed in Daegu, South Korea where he then gave me his GI Bill so I could attend college online. Here is where my current educational journey starts.

In 2016 I earned and AS in Accounting from American Military University. I graduated with a 3.97 GPA. I am now working on a BA in Transportation and Logistics Management with a concentration in Reverse Logistics Management. I am currently 12 months from graduation and my husband is trying to talk me into enrolling in a post baccalaureate pre-med program!

I did really well in the two science classes that I was required to take for my AS. Honestly, the academic program that I am in is extremely easy. I devote roughly five hours per week to 2 intensive eight week classes and I still get A's on everything. I write A level papers without even looking at the textbook

I had thought about going pre-med during my first college experience but I had emotionally manipulative parents who thought that their daughter absolutely needed to become an accountant to make the family proud. I come from a very poor family and my parents thought that me pursuing a medical career would take too much time. I'm now 31 and I want to pursue a dream that was basically denied to me as a high school graduate.

My husband is currently retiring from the Air Force and he is planning on supporting me completely with ANY graduate program that I pursue.

My overall goal with any program that I pursue is to help people. Right now I am torn between taking the risk and going pre-med or pursuing a master's degree in agriculture and opening a farm to raise food for low income veterans. I have financial support for any option that I pursue so my husband keeps telling me to go for it.

Logistics is a pretty dry major and I am looking for a little more excitement and more of an academic challenge. I LOVE science and I am actually quite well self educated on agricultural sciences.

What advice do you have for someone in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

This is a long story so please bear with me.

What does everyone have to say about older adults wanting to become doctors? I was an excellent student in high school and I earned a full scholarship to a private college in the Mid Atlantic region to double major in accounting and pre-law. I did pretty well my first semester until a medical misdiagnosis made me really sick and I lost my scholarship. I dropped out of college and ended up in an abusive marriage that I escaped five years ago. I did a stint as an OTR truck driver and I then met and fell in love with a career Air Force man. We ended up getting stationed in Daegu, South Korea where he then gave me his GI Bill so I could attend college online. Here is where my current educational journey starts.

In 2016 I earned and AS in Accounting from American Military University. I graduated with a 3.97 GPA. I am now working on a BA in Transportation and Logistics Management with a concentration in Reverse Logistics Management. I am currently 12 months from graduation and my husband is trying to talk me into enrolling in a post baccalaureate pre-med program!

I did really well in the two science classes that I was required to take for my AS. Honestly, the academic program that I am in is extremely easy. I devote roughly five hours per week to 2 intensive eight week classes and I still get A's on everything. I write A level papers without even looking at the textbook

I had thought about going pre-med during my first college experience but I had emotionally manipulative parents who thought that their daughter absolutely needed to become an accountant to make the family proud. I come from a very poor family and my parents thought that me pursuing a medical career would take too much time. I'm now 31 and I want to pursue a dream that was basically denied to me as a high school graduate.

My husband is currently retiring from the Air Force and he is planning on supporting me completely with ANY graduate program that I pursue.

My overall goal with any program that I pursue is to help people. Right now I am torn between taking the risk and going pre-med or pursuing a master's degree in agriculture and opening a farm to raise food for low income veterans. I have financial support for any option that I pursue so my husband keeps telling me to go for it.

Logistics is a pretty dry major and I am looking for a little more excitement and more of an academic challenge. I LOVE science and I am actually quite well self educated on agricultural sciences.

What advice do you have for someone in my situation?

Well first and foremost you need to decide if you want to do medicine or not.

If you do pick pre med, then you will have to choose between doing a formal post bacc program to finish your pre reqs (somewhat expensive) or a DIY post bacc at local colleges and community colleges to complete these courses (cheaper, a little more complicated logistically). I did the latter and was fine.

Tons of people come to medicine later in life. You're not nuts, just do your due diligence to decide if this is what you want. Shadow, volunteer, do whatever you can to get real exposure to medicine.

Good luck OP!