Am I considered a first generation college student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

This probably sounds stupid but I wanted to know if this qualifies me as a first generation college student.

My parents migrated from India before I was born. My mom only has a high school diploma from India and my dad has a "bachelor's" degree which he got in 2 years in India.

I am the first person in my immediate and extended family to go to a US college and wanted to know if this would allow me to say I am a first generation college student on apps.
Also, do these first generations have a minor advantage, no effect, or negative impression to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Your dad has a bachelors degree, so the answer is no. You might be the first in the United States, but that doesn't say much. Stop trying to find little stupid "edges" to get marginal advantage and instead work hard on your grades and extracurricular so your application doesn't depend on pity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your dad has a bachelors degree, so the answer is no. You might be the first in the United States, but that doesn't say much. Stop trying to find little stupid "edges" to get marginal advantage and instead work hard on your grades and extracurricular so your application doesn't depend on pity.

Settle down, he just asked a question lol. No need to be rude. If you're going to be mad at anyone, take it out on AMCAS for having the check box in the first place.

But I agree, if your dad has a bachelors degree, you aren't a first generation college grad.

Reactions: 4 users
Settle down, he just asked a question lol. No need to be rude. If you're going to be mad at anyone, take it out on AMCAS for having the check box in the first place.

But I agree, if your dad has a bachelors degree, you aren't a first generation college grad.
I'm not mad. I think you've read more than there's to read.

That definitely sounds mad to me, IMO.

Anyway, I think it's a valid inquiry and is definitely not about trying to find "little stupid 'edges.'" He needs to know because it's asked explicitly on AMCAS.

Reactions: 3 users
If your parents didn't get a degree in the U.S. that means you're a first generation college student. At least that's what my advisor said.

If your parents didn't get a degree in the U.S. that means you're a first generation college student. At least that's what my advisor said.
That's obviously wrong, a college degree = going to college..... But it would be harder to verify if that's what he was getting at.

That's the problem right there. Would anyone think some kid whose parents have MDs or PhDs from Germany are really "first generation?" Obviously not.

That's the problem right there. Would anyone think some kid whose parents have MDs or PhDs from Germany are really "first generation?" Obviously not.
True, but if a parent works at a job that only requires a GED/CC classes, I can see how it'd be tempting.

that's true..... haha But my parents' degrees weren't "transferable" so maybe that's why she said it?

I'm sorry, but your advisor is .. wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
True, but if a parent works at a job that only requires a GED/CC classes, I can see how it'd be tempting.
Half of recent college graduates in the US are estimated to have jobs that don't require a bachelors degree. Your job choices are yours (sort of), but it doesn't take away your college. You're still an educated person, which usually implies that you have a different way of carrying yourself and influence on your kids.

A first-generation college student is usually defined as a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) have not attained a bachelor’s degree or ever gone to college. This would subsequently make that student the first in the family to go to college and graduate with a bachelor’s degree. Your father holds a bachelor’s degree therefore you are not a first generation college student. The first generation question is asked because your parents educational attainment does have an impact on what kind of life you’ve had and the quality of education you have received. I wouldn't call this an advantage, med schools just take this into consideration.

My parents both received associates degrees - I was under the impression that I wasn't a first generation college student, is this wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other question, do you just list this on your parents educational info in AMCAS or is there somewhere else I should be listing this as well? I didn't select disadvantaged because I don't think I quite fit that criteria.

You're first gen. My dad got his AA at a technical college, but I marked myself first gen. and I was only asked to clarify once during an interview

One other question, do you just list this on your parents educational info in AMCAS or is there somewhere else I should be listing this as well? I didn't select disadvantaged because I don't think I quite fit that criteria.
Under the Parents and Guardians section, I just listed their degree level and the school. They should be able to infer from that section. However, I also mentioned it in my personal statement when detailing my background.

Under the Parents and Guardians section, I just listed their degree level and the school. They should be able to infer from that section. However, I also mentioned it in my personal statement when detailing my background.

Awesome, thanks!