Am I considered a first generation college student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRIRACHA26

SHRIROKU
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my family moved to the United States from India when I was in 6th grade. Both of my parents went to college in India and got their bachelors, which are worth absolutely nothing here. I've tried to get some answers on this but the definition of first-generation differs from one school to another. Some schools say it is more like a self-identification " For example, if a parent attended a four-year college in a different educational system outside of the United States; if a student has only had close contact to people with minimal college experience" while some schools determine your status based off your parents having a bachelors degree period. I'm not sure what I would put on AAMC and AACOMAS apps. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

So my family moved to the United States from India when I was in 6th grade. Both of my parents went to college in India and got their bachelors, which are worth absolutely nothing here. I've tried to get some answers on this but the definition of first-generation differs from one school to another. Some schools say it is more like a self-identification " For example, if a parent attended a four-year college in a different educational system outside of the United States; if a student has only had close contact to people with minimal college experience" while some schools determine your status based off your parents having a bachelors degree period. I'm not sure what I would put on AAMC and AACOMAS apps. Please help!
No

Reactions: 1 users
Not to hijack this thread, buttttttt I always enjoy hearing what Goro has to say about things.

I legitimately had not thought of this until now, because I guess I never understood the definition of first gen student until I googled it. If both my parents went to get an associates and both dropped out (around 1 year total each), am I a first gen student?

Are you the first in your family to go to college? No

Are you the first to graduate from college in your family? Yes