no

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PieceOfGum1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
no

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to prioritize your coursework. Low GPA will mess you up more than a late MCAT. What about writing the MCAT next summer (June/July) while applying?

Yeah, I do need to prioritize my coursework. I guess the thing is, I don't even want to waste time worrying about the MCAT this semester if I know I'm not going to take it in January. It's really important to me that I get as close to a 4.0 this upcoming year, so I can make up for my poor GPA from my freshman year, so if I'm not taking the MCAT in January, I want to worry more about doing well in all my classes and maybe putting more effort into my extra curriculars.

If I take another gap year, I could push my MCAT in August after an entire summer of study, or even push it back to next January (and take the second gap year if I push it back). It all depends on whether it's feasible for me to take the MCAT this upcoming January or not. I can't take the MCAT next summer (June/July), because my spring semester will be even busier than my Fall semester, with more credits and challenging classes, so I definitely will not be able to adequately study during that semester.

Do you think it's possible for me to self-teach the Orgo and Physics sections this fall? I'm basically learning from scratch - I did very poor in Orgo and haven't retained any knowledge; same for the one semester of physics I did take. And I do not trust my Bio or Biochem knowledge; I know I will still need to do lots of review for them. If I can't take the MCAT in January, I should basically start preparing to take another gap year.

Honestly, I would take the two gap years and push your MCAT to next August. That way, you can do your best and take it step by step. I wish I did that.

Definitely don't try to take it this January. I would suggest focusing on school throughout your senior year, and then studying over the summer of 2019 and taking it at the end (maybe in August?). One summer of diligent studying should be plenty of time. That way you can still apply for the 2019-2020 cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not take a practice test first to see how far you have to go to reach whatever your goal is? It's hard to predict exactly how much prep you'll need in each of the subjects without it. I recommend the free NextStep 1 test (compared to other test companies that offer free tests, it seems the closest to the actual test and scoring).

It was to my understanding that if I take the MCAT at the end of the summer (August 2019), it will be too late for me to apply in the 2019-2020 cycle, which is why I would have to take a second gap year.

Nope! I have quite a number of friends who have taken/are taking their MCATs this August and are applying this cycle. It'll put you at a disadvantage to be applying somewhat late (the application opens in June), but it's really not the end of the world. I know plenty of people who have applied later and still got in. Also, some schools will allow you to apply without an MCAT score and allow you to send in the score later.