MD Am I crazy to even be thinking about the possibility of reapplying after being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazed_and_Confused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware of the sentiment surrounding this topic. I was accepted to one OOS school and denied at my state school. I am very thankful for my acceptance and liked this school when I interviewed. I am going forward with everything to attend in the fall, but here are the stress inducing things that I can't stop from popping into my mind:

- the 100k more I will pay in tuition over 4 years as compared to my state school (causing me more financial stress)
- the fact that this school is in a major east coast city as compared to my hometown, a modest-sized midwest city -- obviously what comes to mind is a significant cost of living difference and all the transportation hassles (moving/housing, parking fees and/or living close enough to public transportation)
- that the school I was accepted to is in a rough, rough area of the city...as compared to being familiar with my city (lived there all my life minus college) and feeling safe there.
- being far away from supportive family and friends, which as I think about the next 4-8 years, may be really important to my success.

I am meeting with admissions at my state school to go over my application, which will affect my thinking. I was also going to straight up ask my chances of getting in as a re-applicant who turned down an acceptance. Good idea? FYI my state school has a large bias to in-state applicants, which is why I think I could have a chance.

When I applied, I just wanted to get in -- because I really want to be a doctor...but now I am second guessing everything. Tell me I am being a baby and need suck it up or that it may be worth taking a shot at reapplying at my state school.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll likely have even less geographic control once the time comes for residency applications. Might as well suck it up and get used to being in a different place now.

Also, while $100k is not insignificant, would you really rather save it and end up not a doctor at all?

Reactions: 1 users
No one said med school will be cheap, or easy. Take it and go! Sorry you're going to be out of your comfort zone, but that's life. Have fun with it! Look at it as an exciting new adventure and move forward.

If you don't go, I promise you will look back everyday thinking how foolish you were to turn down an acceptance in-hand! For one year constantly fretting and thinking "can I get into medical school?" Vs. kicking ass IN med school. You're blessed for that acceptance. Take it and go. I'd only turn it down if you think medicine isn't right for you and want to switch professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it or quit medicine. You will have even less control of your life in the next decade.

Give it some serious thought. And discuss with the people you trust.

You clearly don't want to be a doctor, so give up the accept and let someone who does want to be a doctor to a have your seat.

I am aware of the sentiment surrounding this topic. I was accepted to one OOS school and denied at my state school. I am very thankful for my acceptance and liked this school when I interviewed. I am going forward with everything to attend in the fall, but here are the stress inducing things that I can't stop from popping into my mind:

- the 100k more I will pay in tuition over 4 years as compared to my state school (causing me more financial stress)
- the fact that this school is in a major east coast city as compared to my hometown, a modest-sized midwest city -- obviously what comes to mind is a significant cost of living difference and all the transportation hassles (moving/housing, parking fees and/or living close enough to public transportation)
- that the school I was accepted to is in a rough, rough area of the city...as compared to being familiar with my city (lived there all my life minus college) and feeling safe there.
- being far away from supportive family and friends, which as I think about the next 4-8 years, may be really important to my success.

I am meeting with admissions at my state school to go over my application, which will affect my thinking. I was also going to straight up ask my chances of getting in as a re-applicant who turned down an acceptance. Good idea? FYI my state school has a large bias to in-state applicants, which is why I think I could have a chance.

When I applied, I just wanted to get in -- because I really want to be a doctor...but now I am second guessing everything. Tell me I am being a baby and need suck it up or that it may be worth taking a shot at reapplying at my state school.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate all the comments, except for the one above about me not wanting to be a doctor, of course. I have every intention of running with this opportunity, but I mean you can't blame me for having some moments of doubt about the future. I guess I need to stop reading forums about debt and loan repayment.

Thanks guys, have a good one.

I appreciate all the comments, except for the one above about me not wanting to be a doctor, of course. I have every intention of running with this opportunity, but I mean you can't blame me for having some moments of doubt about the future. I guess I need to stop reading forums about debt and loan repayment.

Thanks guys, have a good one.
No, you don't need to stop reading those. Sticking your head in the sand about finances isn't the way to come out on top. That said, you can't wander away in "what if..." thinking either, since this is considered a crossroads that you aren't wise to try and revisit (as a reapplicant with a past acceptance).

Yes, debt will be a burden. That said, you were dealt a winning hand and common wisdom says you should be ok assuming you don't expect to roll into residency in a new Audi TT. Read about finances to enable good management. Don't turn away a good hand, or worry too much about how you could be better off if X, y, and z happened.

Congrats.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, congratulations on getting accepted into medical school! Second, I completely understand why your are having doubts man, comfort and a good location is something that can probably make life easier, but you did get into medical school. This opportunity is priceless so please just do it and try to make the most of it. It won't look nice to reapply and schools will be asking you why you turned down an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user