Am I CRAZY/wasting money doing this?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufblondi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submit my application in the next week is there ANY chance of getting in anywhere? I know it is very late in the cycle...I was going to wait until next cycle to apply, but I really do not want to take a year off from school. I have not taken the DAT yet, however I have already registered for it. I would take it in the next few weeks. Also, I only have a 3.4 overall gpa, 3.2 science, and a 3.8 non science. Are my stats too low to even give me a slight chance at NYU or BU? No way to bring my gpa up...I have over 130 credits so a few more A's are not going to do anything to it. Would you do it if you were me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

ufblondi said:
If I submit my application in the next week is there ANY chance of getting in anywhere? I know it is very late in the cycle...I was going to wait until next cycle to apply, but I really do not want to take a year off from school. I have not taken the DAT yet, however I have already registered for it. I would take it in the next few weeks. Also, I only have a 3.4 overall gpa, 3.2 science, and a 3.8 non science. Are my stats too low to even give me a slight chance at NYU or BU? No way to bring my gpa up...I have over 130 credits so a few more A's are not going to do anything to it. Would you do it if you were me? :confused:

i would wait. many schools have application deadlines around the corner (if they've not already passed). DATs in a few weeks? Even tomorrow would be quite late. it takes AADSAS about 4-6 weeks to process your application. I suggest you save your money and apply in May. Goodluck.

Your stats are fine, but your application is late. If it absolutely kills you to wait a year, then go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is you don't get in anywhere and are out the money. The best that can happen is you'll find yourself in dental school.

The one problem I see with your application is that it MUST be complete by the school deadlines, and that means you have to have the DAT score to the schools by their deadline. For example, my school has a Feb 1 deadline (I believe), which would be pressing it if you are taking the DAT in 5 weeks. ESPECIALLY since you haven't submitted your AADSAS application.

If you are intent on applying, then take careful note of the school application deadlines. Those are really going to determine where you can apply, at this stage in the game, for many schools. Some schools have early deadlines, and some later.

You've got to figure that AADSAS will take 3 weeks to get to the schools. Secondaries will take another 2-3 weeks, and then they'll review your file and give you a decision on interviews. The next open interview dates at that point may be in March or April, *if* there are any open dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll edit it to say that in my opinion, you should take the DAT in the spring and submit your application ASAP in the next cycle. That is, be one of the first next year. That way you'll have your choice of schools to pick from when applying, rather than being limited by a late application, random interview slots, classes 3/4 full, and still having to take the DAT. Just my thoughts.

It's a gamble. Ultimately you are going to have to decide if you are comfortable with the risk. I know people who have done just what you are suggesting and were accepted, but I would imagine there was a good bit of luck involved.

If it were me, I would just work and travel for a year and apply next cycle. But if you have a spare $1500 sitting around that you want to throw into the AADSAS slot machine go for it.

you will need to score high on your DAT's to have a chance. It's way too late in the cycle now to apply without your DAT scores sent in. Also, if you submit your application next week, it won't be sent to the dental schools until mid january (AADSAS is SLOW), which gives you little or no chance at getting in unless you absolutely stand out.

ufblondi said:

I would wait if I were you. It is too late in the cycle.