Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if you know my past, it's not so good... Bad grades for 3 years. 3.07 science GPA (includes CC). Am I delusional to think I could make it up in one year? I absolutely hate the idea of taking 2 gap years including 1 to make up grades and the other to get acceptances. I go to a "top school" so I seeing people succeed with their dreams is soul crushing.. Someone two years younger than me is starting pharmacy school. Someone two years younger than me will get into medical school the same time as me.

I'm almost debating applying to Ross

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, if you know my past, it's not so good... Bad grades for 3 years. 3.07 science GPA (includes CC). Am I delusional to think I could make it up in one year? I absolutely hate the idea of taking 2 gap years including 1 to make up grades and the other to get acceptances. I go to a "top school" so I seeing people succeed with their dreams is soul crushing.. Someone two years younger than me is starting pharmacy school. Someone two years younger than me will get into medical school the same time as me.

Going to the Caribbean is stupid regardless of your competitiveness elsewhere. There are people 4 years younger than me starting med school right now, means nothing. Sorry, but you won't get much sympathy for possibly having to go through the trauma of spending more than 4 years after high school before med school to improve your grades. There are a ton of people here a lot older than you who are just applying.

Reactions: 2 users
I just interviewed yesterday with a guy who was in investment banking in nyc for 4 years and then quit, did an SMP, and is now applying to medical schools. If your heart is absolutely set on it, you have a shot. It might take some time, though. Don't worry about what other people are doing, screw them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress about what anyone else is doing, everyone's situation is completely different. If you've completed everything as one normally would (30 credit hours per semester) then 1 final year would weigh about 1/4 of your overall GPA, leaving a max at about 3.3. That's not entirely competitive, but not a complete loss either. Consider retaking a few classes you didn't excel in, as well as consider DO. If there is absolutely no other option... still don't go Caribbean.

Not delusional, but not realistic at this point.

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself.

If you want to be a doctor, you have to work for it. This will take a few years of GPA repair. Others have done it.

Ross? Only if you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt...but why do you think you can handle medical school as of now?

There are people who are already attending physicians who are younger than me. Don't let other people's success with their dreams crush your soul. Be happy for them and keep working towards your own dreams. Don't take a risky short-cut out of jealousy.

The DO route is much more doable than allopathic school. Grade replacement could be a life-saver. If you retake those F D C classes, it simply replaces them with your new grade, which definitely needs to be A's at this point, if you want this to be done in a year. If you get a bunch of A's, raise your sGPA, have the right EC's, and do pretty well on the MCAT, you can get into medical school. A lot of stuff right there, but it can be done.

Also, you need to drop the whole comparison thing. It's a super bad habit to get into, and it simply does no good. Absolutely no one out there is in exactly the same situation as you. The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were during your "not so good past" as you said. Be better than the person you were before. If it takes a few years to get into medical school, that will be time well spent deciding if this is something you actually want to do. (This is all stuff I have come to realize in the past year, and it has made the application process much less stressful for me.)

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you, friend!