Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belizee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 and am going to graduate this May with my B.S. in Biology and Chemistry. I have been interested in medical school for a long time, but haven't seriously considered going for the last 5 years. I am posting here just to see if pursuing this would be a complete waste of time for me. My GPA is quite low (2.8) and transcript has some pretty ghastly scars on it. Long story short, my life fell apart my freshman year of college, and it wasn't until I went to therapy last year that I was able to emotionally and psychologically move forward. My last couple of semesters have been decent academically. This semester, I hope to finish with a 3.7 and last semester I had a 3.5. I also have two part time semesters in which I got a 4.0 and a 3.2, but those were 2 years ago, and the 1-point- somethings were 5+ years ago.

A few of notable things that I would include on my application:
Worked ~60hrs/week when I was doing poorly academically
Volunteered for 2 years at the local hospital for 4hrs/week
President of a school club- organized fundraisers and did some community events with habitat for humanity.
Worked as a private anatomy and chemistry tutor
Am a published writer. I am currently working on my first novel, and am also working on getting articles published with some larger periodicals.
Worked nights in a factory when I went to school part time. 3 12 hour shifts one week, 4 12 hour shifts the next. Was promoted 2 times and led teams of 2-5 workers.
Started a company, and worked there until I decided I wanted to complete my education. The company is still growing. A notable celeb has expressed interest in investing in it.

I am unfamiliar with the new MCAT, and I haven't done any prep for it yet. The temptation for me is to assume that I would do pretty well on it, given that standardized testing has always been a strong point for me, but seeing as I am not planning on applying until next year anyway I would have ample time to study and consequently feel justified in assuming that I would be able to get a fairly good score.

So tell me... do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno man, a 2.8 is pretty low. I'm not sure on what the prospects would be, but if I were you, I'd shoot for a spanking high MCAT score and then apply DO. Also, I wouldn't just assume that you'll do well on the MCAT because you perceive standardized testing as a strong point for yourself. Several of my buddies fell prey to that mindset this past year. It's a whole other beast from other standardized exams and you should always assume that you'll have to put in long, long hours of prepping.

Grade replacement + decent MCAT (505+) = DO

This is the formula I recommend for you my good sir. Be prepare to spend a year or two fixing your GPA. Retake all C/D/F courses