am i crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holycow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so..i have taken about 3 practice tests. i started off at a 6 on my kaplan diag for PS. Then i studied my butt off for a month and a half, and took another exam. Got a 5. What the heck! i was supposed to go up not down! Then took another one..got a 9. Was happy. Then took another one, and i went back to a 5. What the heck is going on? Someone please help me..what am i doing? and i have only one month left!

any advice is appreciated! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, no one can tell you what exactly you are doing right or wrong from your post alone. If you feel you understand the broad concepts, and have had sufficient practice of those concepts, then your scores seem to suggest lack of focus during testing, poor time management perhaps, lack of critical thinking.

Most of the questions on the MCAT can be deduced from the passages alone, and even the wording of the questions and the answer choices. If you are trying to do too much math, or feel as though you are guessing a lot, I suggest you make sure you are not complicating matters.

Perhaps you aren't yet comfortable with the concepts and formulas yet. If this is so, it would do you well to do many stand alone practice problems.

I'm sure others may have other suggestions as well.

a 6,5, 9, and 5...........are they the total scores? If they are, I wouldn't take the August one if I were u.........what you need to work extreme hard on right now is your reading abilities.....and that takes really long to improve (months)....It looks like you were "tricked" by the test on the questions and answer choices........The MCAT is about "upper level" reading comprehension and reasoning.......that is why so many people have a hard time with it including myself...........it is really tempting to take the MCAT to see what it's like........However, the results might be devastating and may cause you to be unmotivated later on..........I'm really sorry by saying all of that but this is my honest opinion and it also applies to me.........I'm in the 20s and having doubts if I'll be able to score high enough on the Aug one....because the damn MCAT just got harder

quadmanturbo said:
a 6,5, 9, and 5...........are they the total scores? If they are, I wouldn't take the August one if I were u.........what you need to work extreme hard on right now is your reading abilities.....and that takes really long to improve (months)....It looks like you were "tricked" by the test on the questions and answer choices........The MCAT is about "upper level" reading comprehension and reasoning.......that is why so many people have a hard time with it including myself...........it is really tempting to take the MCAT to see what it's like........However, the results might be devastating and may cause you to be unmotivated later on..........I'm really sorry by saying all of that but this is my honest opinion and it also applies to me.........I'm in the 20s and having doubts if I'll be able to score high enough on the Aug one....because the damn MCAT just got harder

no, you misunderstood. They are just for the Physical science section. I was just frustrated that my score on the physical sciences section has been fluctuating so much. So far my highest score has been a 25. 9PS, 9VR, 7BS. you think i can pull that up to a 30 in time for the real deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
holycow said:
no, you misunderstood. They are just for the Physical science section. I was just frustrated that my score on the physical sciences section has been fluctuating so much. So far my highest score has been a 25. 9PS, 9VR, 7BS. you think i can pull that up to a 30 in time for the real deal?

probably... your 9 on VR is a good base to work off of... the PS and BS takes time, but they can and do move as you study more (unlike the VR). Take a real AAMC instead of a Kaplan, that will really tell you where you are :thumbup: If you get in the mid 20s or higher you are in good shape with over a month left...

totally........... u r a few questions away on each section to break a 30.......I took the 3R in April and got a 30 but backed out from the April test because I didn't feel confident enough......now I gotta tak the aug one no matter what.......I'm working hard on reasoning all of the answer choices before I pick the best one..........