Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

AM I CRAZY

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FSUMED, Mar 23, 2001.

1. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

OK, I am going to tell you my situation and want all you experienced folks to tell me if I am crazy. I am a premed at Florida State majoring in Exercise science. I didn't decide this until midway through summer between freshman and sophomore year. I am in my spring term of sophomore now. I am currently taking Biology II and Chemistry II and the lab that goes with Chemistry, also taking my remaining history class, and nutrition. I plan to graduate in 4 years and then enter meds school like any normal person. This means taking MCAT April next year.
    So here is my plan for classes:

Summer: Organic 1, Bio II lab, Psychology, and First Aid.
    Fall: Organic II, Physics I, Athletic Training, Anatomy and Physiology I, and Family development
    MCAT Spring: Organic II lab, Physics II, Anatomy II, Applied Exercise Physiology

So am crazy for think I am cram all this in and do well on the MCAT. I like to think I am pretty diligent person and I can handle the classes on top of studying for MCAT, and I seems like most of the material I will need for MCAT will be covered by the end of my fall term(the rest in physics II). I also and playing catch up on volunteer activities, and getting recommendations. I have done well so far(A's in Chemistry I and Lab, B in Bio I, A in Bio I, lab), and my might be looking at a B in bio or Chemistry this semester. Does anybody think this is doable besides me?

------------------
    Patrick

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yes. I have found that my toughest semesters in Ugrad (in terms of course load) are often my best semesters (in terms of GPA). When I have too much time on my hands, I tend to get very lazy and not study as much as I should. Your schedule seems challenging but definitely not impossible. Good luck.

[​IMG] ST

4. Headndaclouds

Headndaclouds New Member

Fall: Organic II, Physics I, Athletic Training, Anatomy and Physiology I, and Family development

okay as of this moment I am taking almost or close to the same schedule that you will be taking. Anatomy will take a lot of your mental time memorization like muscles orgin,insertion, action..... I would not recommend this schedule unless you are in the first place a strong student and only want to have time to study.

------------------
    barl

5. BlueBoy

BlueBoy Member
    10+ Year Member

I remembered when I studied for the MCATs, my life was suspended. I took a light courseload that quarter of school and was happy that I did. I took the Berkeley review prep course. Though going to the lectures helps a lot, you will still need to do a lot of work on your own. Doing well on the MCATs is important, and I would not underestimate the time committment to study for it. And if you need to be doing volunteering and other things, I think you will have a difficult time, but certainly not impossible. If you have the drive, motivation, and stamina to handle the demands, more power to you. And putting off applications a year is not such a bad thing either. Many people take a year off to do fun things or medically related activities to make them a stronger applicant.

BB

6. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the adivse so far guys. I understand it is going to be a rough semester, but it seems like it will be a little bit easier in the Spring, and I am also depending onthe fact that since I will still be in the classes I wont need AS much review for MCAT. Does this make sense? As far as time goes, I plan to quite work starting in the fall and devote all my engery to studying, a couple activities(one must stay rounded), and a couple hours of week of volunteer work. I am also going to check into some medical missions, and I am hoping to intern in a camp for overweght children in Massachussets summer 2002. So I will have some stuff to put in the app there too. Do you think anything done the summer that you apply is too late? Keep the advice coming! Thanks guys

------------------
    Patrick

7. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh yeah...I forgot. IF you guys think my spring semester is going to be too full, would it be to my advantage to take MCAT in august and take the summer off and devote it studying...I am applying to schools in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina, adn Georgia, and it seems like August MCAT are not a big deal down here. I realy want to worka t the camp in MA, perhaps I would find time to study, a couple hours a day, but not likely, so that would probably not be doable if I decided to test in August...what do you guys think?

8. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

You'll be okay with that schedule I think. I've found that my hardest semesters are the one's I do the best in because I know I have to work hard and study. Take last fall, I had Physics I, Organic I, Genetics, Geography, and Art Appreciation (yuck) and I pulled the best semester of my college life!! (4.0) I think that working hard inspires you. I'm not sure if I would recommend that type of schedule while you study for the MCAT, which is one of my mistakes. Now I have Physiology, Organic II, Physics II, Statistics, and a religion course all while studying for the MCAT. I've managed, and the MCAT looks promising. So I wish you the best. Always remember work hard! You may not have a life now, but years down the road its worth it.
    I always like what Mark Twain said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off your bowliness. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

Mossjoh

9. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I had a very similar schedule, and I made it through. You can do it, with little problem.

Toran

10. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just out of curiousity...why aren't you applying to Florida schools. We have 5 of them and your chances are MUCH better in-state.

Your fellow Floridian and future GATOR (my parents live in Tally!),

Cobragirl

11. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The main reason that I am only applying to other states, is that I am not actually a Florida resident. And unfortanly, UF is a long shot for an out of stater, and FSU, and USF's med school dont even take out of staters. I could change my residency, but I feel like my odds are much better in Mississippi. You see, U of Mississippi Med school only accepts in staters, and only about 500 or so apply every year, so my odds in mississippi are better than the odds in florida. I love FSU and would like to actually go to this med school when the time comes, but I dont really am not sure if it is worth losing the chance in Mississippi.

12. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I see now....yes, you are better off applying in "your" state of residency.

As for FSU, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now anyway. I interviewed there in January but wasn't very impressed. Because the program is so new, they really don't have everything together yet. I'm sure it'll be a great program in a few years but until they get accreditation, I wouldn't take the chance (I'm sure they'll get it, but still...that's a HUGE risk when you're going to invest $100,000 of YOUR own money!). Not to mention the lack of "real" facilities, instructors, etc. I do wish them the best of luck...they were very nice and seemed like the class was close....but I'm still glad I'm going to Gainesville!

[​IMG] Go GATORS!

13. ali428

ali428 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Last Semester was the hardest I've taken so far, and was the best GPA so far. I definitely agree with everyone saying the harder semesters are better for their GPAs. I took Organic I, Physics I, Genetics, Physics Lab and Social Psychology. The three sciences made me work, but I did fine, missing a 4.0 by 5points in orgo, and 6 in physics. (it was heart breaking....) This semester's looking up...i've got an A average in everything (Orgo II, Physics II, Orgo Lab, Physics Lab, Abnormal Psych and Adolescent Development). Good luck FSU, you should do fine! [​IMG]