Medical Am I doing fine as a pre med? What should I improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a sophomore student at a Top 50 school majoring in Biology and minoring in statistics.
My ethnicity is Asian female.
Residence: NY
I came into college originally as a business major and switched major at the beginning of my sophomore year.
I had a 4.0 gpa at the end of freshman year but since I need to switch major I had to take biology course over the summer.
I got a B+ on the first biology course and decided to torture myself even more with 19 credit hours of class plus working over 15 hours every week in a breast cancer research labat the beginning of my sophomore year.
Then my GPA went down to a 3.5.
My cumulative GPA is 3.8. I don't really know how to calculate the science GPA yet but here are my grades:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 16.12.01.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 16.11.44.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 16.11.18.png

My activities + volunteering:
volunteer at an all free clinic for over 80 hours.
volunteer at a hospital near my school for 50hours(50 from last semester and this semester I am still volunteering). I volunteerd in the Critical Care Unit last semester and I am volunteering in the oncology department this semester.
hasn't shadow any doctors yet but I plan to do so over the summer, I will probably shadow a pediatrics doctor and a doctor in internal medicine.
70+ research hours in a breast cancer research lab(bench lab type),
VP for a women's power club
A member of AMWA on campus, plan to run for a position this semester.

Am I doing ok as for a pre-med candidate? Any suggestions?
I am open to all suggestions so please feel free.
Thank you so much in advance.
Yes, you're doing fine. You do need to learn how to time manage and not overextend yourself.

In terms of nonclinical volunteering, get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd start checking with your institution's prehealth advising office about their role with reference letters, then identify some professors who can write some great letters for you. Then network and attend recruiting fairs in search of students who can help you with their experience in the process. Don't overload your schedule unless you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.