Jun 20, 2017
Stats:
Graduated from Northwestern University in Spring of 2016 with a 3.1sGPA(ish) including BS classes lol..
Took a year of DIY post-bacc at a local public university and got a 4.0 with 34 credits spread (12 first, 22 second) including Physics/Chem retakes + upper level Bios which raised it to almost 3.4.

EC's from college:
various research (wet lab/a core/light psychology on students) + volunteered lightly in a clinic + weekly at a hospital
leadership in a club
week trip abroad (lol, I know...)
couple other small things

After 4 months of moping around I finally have a good job (clinical research) that will last until September 2018.
Obviously, that's great if I apply in June and get in.

1. What MCAT should I shoot for? I plan to start studying once I get comfortable at work.
2. By the off-chance I get fired, then what...? I know this is a big "if" but I have really bad anxiety I will start getting help for. I used to be able to interact with patients like no big deal, but it's pretty bad now, especially when trying to recruit patients. How can I improve this ASAP?
3. If the second doctor I work for (the first will not need me after September) doesn't keep me around and I don't get in, what should I do?
4. Is my application missing anything? I feel like this job will include shadowing (even surgeries), patient interaction, and research. I do want to volunteer in a homeless shelter. I really WANT to do this, just hope it doesn't come off as box checking?

About the Ads

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
With a solid MCAT you would be good for some md schools (especially those that reward reinvention) another year of post bacc would help a lot though.

Reactions: Fete and StupidAF

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I was in a somewhat similar situation to you; had a higher graduating GPA but took less post bacc credits. I scored >90 percentile and have had a reasonably successful cycle thus far. I think you ideally want to shoot for 512+. The above poster is right though, aim high on this thing. Having a set score really limits studying IMO. I was gunning for a 512 for a while and noticed it allowed me to just throw topics out as unnecessary to learn. I ditched that attitude and scored higher.

Good luck OP. Congrats on what you've accomplished thus far. Coming back isnt easy.

Reactions: StupidAF
Sep 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It sounds like you need some shadowing and volunteering experience. You should try and shadow multiple doctors in different specialties if you can. For volunteering, med schools love when you volunteer with underserved populations. For example, I volunteered for 3 hours each week at an after school program as a tutor for elementary school students in a rough neighborhood. I would recommend doing something like that. I would also recommend volunteering in a hospital (at least 100 hours). Most hospitals have volunteer departments and positions with varying levels of patient contact.

OP
S
Jun 20, 2017
Thanks for everyone's help. I could get reduced ass tuition from my job but given that I have to take the MCAT, I could only do a quarter or two tops at night (so again, not many classes). Should I do this? This would be a hard post-bacc program (percentile-based grading). I don't think this would be possible if I wanted to apply this next year.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
Stats:
Graduated from Northwestern University in Spring of 2016 with a 3.1sGPA(ish) including BS classes lol..
Took a year of DIY post-bacc at a local public university and got a 4.0 with 34 credits spread (12 first, 22 second) including Physics/Chem retakes + upper level Bios which raised it to almost 3.4.

EC's from college:
various research (wet lab/a core/light psychology on students) + volunteered lightly in a clinic + weekly at a hospital
leadership in a club

After 4 months of moping around I finally have a good job (clinical research) that will last until September 2018.

1. What MCAT should I shoot for? I plan to start studying once I get comfortable at work.
2. By the off-chance I get fired, then what...? I know this is a big "if" but I have really bad anxiety I will start getting help for. I used to be able to interact with patients like no big deal, but it's pretty bad now, especially when trying to recruit patients. How can I improve this ASAP?
3. If the second doctor I work for (the first will not need me after September) doesn't keep me around and I don't get in, what should I do?
4. Is my application missing anything? I feel like this job will include shadowing (even surgeries), patient interaction, and research. I do want to volunteer in a homeless shelter. I really WANT to do this, just hope it doesn't come off as box checking?

Why aren't you being proactive and seeking treatment for your "really bad anxiety" immediately or really, why the delay in the first place?

Don't focus on 'what ifs" that might happen a year from now. Instead, simply know that you'll simply move onto something else productive that is medically related, such as volunteering for the homeless, or volunteering at a hospice or nursing home or volunteering at a hospital or volunteering at a free clinic.. But knowing that you can have a relatively seemless move from one thing to another means that there's no rational reason to worry now.

OP
S
Jun 20, 2017
Ok...well then ask that! :D
/
What is your home state? Are you in a lucky state and will apply to instate schools?

Are you open to any MD or are you only gunning for top meds
Open to any MDs. Since I live in Chicago, I'm assuming in-state schools are my best bet.

OP
S
Jun 20, 2017
Why aren't you being proactive and seeking treatment for your "really bad anxiety" immediately or really, why the delay in the first place?

Don't focus on 'what ifs" that might happen a year from now. Instead, simply know that you'll simply move onto something else productive that is medically related, such as volunteering for the homeless, or volunteering at a hospice or nursing home or volunteering at a hospital or volunteering at a free clinic.. But knowing that you can have a relatively seemless move from one thing to another means that there's no rational reason to worry now.
I know... The reason I haven't sought treatment for my really bad anxiety? My really bad anxiety lol.

Example: A crown fell out my mouth about a year ago. Got a temp. It eventually broke and I went back to the dentist and told them I need to get out ASAP so I got another temp for months. I finally went back today after my second temp broke and sat in the parking lot for an hour. I'm finally getting my permanent one.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
I know... The reason I haven't sought treatment for my really bad anxiety? My really bad anxiety lol.

Example: A crown fell out my mouth about a year ago. Got a temp. It eventually broke and I went back to the dentist and told them I need to get out ASAP so I got another temp for months. I finally went back today after my second temp broke and sat in the parking lot for an hour. I'm finally getting my permanent one.
Tomorrow morning, call and make an appt!

And, yes, your instate meds may be your best bets. With your gpa issues, i would think the minimum MCAT you should have is a 510...but it would be better if you had at least a 513

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student

Get help for your anxiety as soon as possible. Seriously. It will help you so much, including on your MCAT.

The Knife & Gun Club

MS - 4
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Status
Medical Student
Stats:

EC's from college:
leadership in a club

You should be shooting for the best MCAT possible. But you're stats are not a totally train wreck.

If you apply broadly to both MD AND DO then you have a solid chance of getting an acceptance somewhere. Key is to be honest with you essays, and work hard to explain why you want to be a physician.

My stats weren't terribly dissimilar to yours (3.2/3.4), and that was from a school that was lower ranked than NW. Managed to get a few MD acceptances.

Shoot me a PM if you want more specifics.

benjamin94559

5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
You're not doomed. My gut tells me if you get like a 515+ on your MCAT you'd be competitive at basically any school with that post bac and gpa trend.

About the Ads