Am I fit for a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cargirl110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my second time applying for medical school. I have a 3.54 BCPM and 3.5 AO. My first MCAT attempt was a 24M. My second attempt was a 30N. I have good research and clinical backgrounds. The first cycle I withdrew all my apps because I knew my MCAT was too low. The second cycle, my AMCAS was not verified till mid-October because I was in an accident with my boyfriend and ended up in the hospital for a month. The only interview I received from my state school is most likely going to result in a rejection. I am wondering if I am fit for a SMP because during my senior year of college, I battled a certain disease and I ended up with two C's and one D. I explained this in my PS. However, since I had practically all A's and few B's prior to senior year, my GPA only went to down to a 3.5 despite those three bad grades. I am tired of wasting time. Do I

1. Retake mcat and reapply
2. Reapply without taking retaking mcat, but reapply VERY EARLY
3. Apply to a SMP program

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Second one

Your MCAT is not bad nor is your GPA. SMPs are generally for people who have low GPAs and high MCAT. While you could do an SMP, the risk assocaited with it is not worth it for you.

SMPs carry with them a high risk if you do poorly. Since you are basically an average candidate now, apply early and broadly and you should find that you have luck

I am just scared that those three bad grades will hurt me. Even though I applied late, my stats were better or the same as many people who received interviews from places such as NYMC, Albany, Drexel, etc. I know other factors could be different such as ECs and whatnot, but I am really trying to figure out if it is something in my application that is hurting me, such as those grades or my GPA or MCAT, or if applying late was the only factor that really did hurt me. I am seriously considering retaking the MCAT, although I really don't want to.

Does anyone have anything more to add please?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just scared that those three bad grades will hurt me. Even though I applied late, my stats were better or the same as many people who received interviews from places such as NYMC, Albany, Drexel, etc. I know other factors could be different such as ECs and whatnot, but I am really trying to figure out if it is something in my application that is hurting me, such as those grades or my GPA or MCAT, or if applying late was the only factor that really did hurt me. I am seriously considering retaking the MCAT, although I really don't want to.

Does anyone have anything more to add please?

I suggest you put an mdapps together so that people can see your "package" and then ask for feedback in the forums that get better traffic: pre-allo and maybe reapplicants. There are fewer people in postbac who have been accepted or been through an app process.

If you really want to do an SMP then go for it; but if you dont do well your chances will be forever ruined.

On the other hand if you do very well in your SMP courses, improve upon your ECs (a lot of SMPs have some great opportunities), and retake and improve your MCAT(you will easily improve your BS) then you could have a VERY attractive package.