Am i freaking out way too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FC Omar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i applied and everything, to 20 diferent schools, if you really want to know all 20, well:
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Midwestern University-Arizona
Loma Linda University
Western University of Health Sciences
University of Southern California
University of Colorado
Howard University
Nova Southeastern University
Midwestern University-Illinois
Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
University of Detroit Mercy
Creighton University
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
New York University
Temple University
Meharry Medical College
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
University of Southern Nevada, Utah Campus
Virginia Commonwealth University

so far, all i have heard are 3 rejections (LLU, ASDOH, and NOVA). all schools i applied to last year.

i have sent out all the materials, and except for an extra letter that i gotta get for unlv, everything was there.

all the schools were designated jul2, and my last LOR (other than the one for unlv) was mailed 9/24 (damn slow school)

my stats were 3.22 sgpa, and 3.44 cgpa. DAT on 3rd attempt was 19 PAT, 18 AA.

i dont want to spend another year in a lag year, i already graduated in 09 (BA education). Literally, its scaring the **** out of me so much i almost feel like i need to start really considering my other back up plans.

Am i freaking out too much? please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you change this year from last year? Are you prepaired to do a masters/retake dat? Hope you get in this year.

I think some schools might even send out interviews as late as January through march, anyone want to confirm that?

So, there is still time.

Plus, LLU is looking for religious applicants. ASDOH has a very specific kind of applicant they are looking for, and from what I hear NOVA as well. You might not fit their mold.

Also, your stats are a bit on the lower side I think. You have a BA in education, are you working right now? Maybe try to find a job in your field and do some dental related community service on the side just in case, so your application improves for next year.

Or look into masters?

PS some of those schools JUST STARTED reviewing apps ... I wouldn't lose hope for a few more months. :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools might even send out interviews as late as January through march, anyone want to confirm that?
Confirmed. Even early submitters/completers get interviews post-dec and post-dec acceptances.

DAT retake isn't really an option. You're only allowed to take the DAT 3 times in your life.

Yes you are freaking out too much, and yes you should always have a backup plan.

You can take it again, but you have to petition with ada. They may or may not let you take it.

I think your best bet, if you do not get in this year, is to do a masters or postbac program to get your gpa up.

Is this your first or your second time applying? or third?

The reason I suggeted a masters is if he doesnt get in - he can petition the ADA to let you take it again but you need a good reason - I think completing a masters is a good one. They will believe he will actully do better that time around and prob allow him to retake. But like everyone said - it's still early in the application cycle.

Dont spread false info UK

You can take it again, but you have to petition with ada. They may or may not let you take it.

I think your best bet, if you do not get in this year, is to do a masters or postbac program to get your gpa up.

That's not what i heard. I heard that its pretty easy to get an approval for a retake.

yeah, but realistically speaking how many ds will give it another look when an applicant can't improve the scores where all he or she has to do to concentrate on one exam with all kind of help, in terms of DAT preparation material/resources, is available....

Someone already mentioned that it is good time to visit plan b or c.......

Good luck......

So i applied and everything, to 20 diferent schools, if you really want to know all 20, well:
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Midwestern University-Arizona
Loma Linda University
Western University of Health Sciences
University of Southern California
University of Colorado
Howard University
Nova Southeastern University
Midwestern University-Illinois
Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
University of Detroit Mercy
Creighton University
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
New York University
Temple University
Meharry Medical College
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
University of Southern Nevada, Utah Campus
Virginia Commonwealth University

so far, all i have heard are 3 rejections (LLU, ASDOH, and NOVA). all schools i applied to last year.

i have sent out all the materials, and except for an extra letter that i gotta get for unlv, everything was there.

all the schools were designated jul2, and my last LOR (other than the one for unlv) was mailed 9/24 (damn slow school)

my stats were 3.22 sgpa, and 3.44 cgpa. DAT on 3rd attempt was 19 PAT, 18 AA.

i dont want to spend another year in a lag year, i already graduated in 09 (BA education). Literally, its scaring the **** out of me so much i almost feel like i need to start really considering my other back up plans.

Am i freaking out too much? please let me know.

Did you contact any of the schools you applied to last year to ask what was lacking in your application? Or even the ones you've heard back from this year? They might have some input...

When you're a re-applicant, I've heard they want to see what you've changed/improved on since the last application cycle. At the very least, did you change your personal statement? Hopefully it wasn't a negative statement in one of your LOR... that's always a red flag.

Anyway, I don't think you should freak out yet! Maybe if you find out something that you were missing you can work on it and update your schools before any more give you decisions. Like if you need more shadowing or something, you can put in some hours? With 20 schools, hopefully at least a few will be willing to give you a chance! :xf: gluck! :luck: