Am I going to have any problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtritt2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is standing about 3.6-3.7 from the University of Nebraska. I have pretty good extra activities and would probably interview pretty well. The practice MCATs that I've been taking have been about 28 or 29. I'm just really hoping to get out of Nebraska. I'm pretty sure with those stats I could easily get into UNMC (state schools). But I have my heart set on getting out of this state. Is this going to be much of a problem? Getting into private schools?

Thanks

Mike tritt

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Out of curiosity...what are the reasons why you wish to exit Nebraska..?

I, personally, wouldn't put too much stock in those practice MCATs. I find that people generally do better on the real thing when the pressure is on and their focus is at optimal levels. If you're a good standardized test taker and are able to concentrate fully on what you're doing, then you're MCAT score should be higher than your practice. At least that's how it was for me.

Anywho, apply to as many out-of-state schools you possibly can that has admissions stats similar to yours. Preliminarily, schools like BU, Finch, GW, Georgetown, Tulane and other private schools generally have admissions stats that mirror yours.

I'd look into buying Princeton Review's "Complete Book of Medical Schools 2000". It's an excellent resource because it lists every med school in the US, their admissions stats from 1999, and the costs, location, tendencies, curriculum, etc, etc.

And I can understand why you would want to leave Nebraska if that is the only state you've lived in your entire life. Getting out and experiencing new things and places is important in developing yourself into a more well-rounded individual. You won't get any beef from me about wanting to leave...but apply to UNMC anyways. Good luck, and Godspeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other Privates that accept a high percentage of out-of-state but were not listed are: NYMC, GWU, AMC, and Einstein.

If you are an URM, apply to Harvard, Columbia, and the rest of the top 25 schools.

SEEK OUT-OF-NE -- MEAT

MEAT, do all of the top 25 schools recruit URM? How about the UCs, I'm a CA resident.

What's URM?