Am I gonna need English credits or what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldandapager

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of English classes. I took AP lang and lit in high school and earned good scores on both. I haven't taken a single English class since then, and don't really plan to, unless it's vital. If this provides any context, I'm a poli sci major, and write for my school paper, so I'm assuming that med schools would consider me proficient in English. But, I'm worried that the med school requirements are stringent. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Check with schools your applying to. I'd say to take it just to be careful and not limit yourself to a few schools.

This may depend on the medical school. It was my understanding that most schools wanted to see some form of English or writing intensive class taken at a university. It is possible one of your poly-sci classes would count.Though, I know some schools are willing to let AP credit satisfy their requirements.

I was in a similar situation as you and ended up just taking the more advanced freshman English class. Good GPA boost if played correctly.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend doing some research on the schools you want to apply to. Some will accept AP. Some won't. It really varies. If you are just starting college, I'd put the English classes off until you know better what schools you might be looking at for medical school. If you are about to apply, find out now, because you may need to take two English classes as a senior.

I personally took them as a sophomore because I figured I'd apply somewhere that wouldn't accept AP credit, and I did. But I wasn't that opposed to taking English classes.

Some schools accept AP,
Some accept any writing-intensive class,
Some implicitly accept AP (fulfill requirements for graduation of your program),
Some want two semesters of university english writing classes.

Good luck!