Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Statistics...
Freshman average: 80-82 (Can't remember, but it was catastrophic) (6 honors classes, 3.28 weighted)
Sophomore average: 85 (4 honors classes, 2 advanced [Intermediate between collegeprep/honors], 1 college prep, 3.39 weighted)
Junior average: 87 (1 honors class, 1 AP class, 4 advanced classes, 3.51 weighted)
Senior: N/A

Standardized Testing
SAT: 1770, 620 Math, 560 CR, 590 Writing, 8 on essay
ACT: 29, 26 English, 28 Math, 33 Reading, 27 Writing, 10 on essay.
AP US History: 5

Volunteer hours:
30 freshman-junior year through mandatory school program
At least 70-100 through altar serving
80-100 hours from this summer's volunteering at a hospital

This year, I'm taking AP Biology, AP European History and Honors Spanish and Honors Religion (Mandatory for Catholic School) and also advanced Pre-Calculus and advanced Senior English (I might transfer up to honors.)

I've heard the Allied Health Sciences major itself is quite selective itself, and I know that my GPA would not make the cut. Is it better for me to major in something like Physiology + Neurobiology (which isn't as competitive to the best of my knowledge) and take a Pre-med?

How do I, as a student sound? Am I decently competitive enough for good pre-med/health science programs at semi-competitive colleges? (40-50% acceptance rate approx)

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Submit your ACT instead of your SAT, rock the first semester of senior year and you'll be alrite for UConn type schools.

I also attended a Catholic prep, glad to see a fellow man of faith out there. Catholic schools sometimes get a tough grading rep, so that won't hurt.

Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Submit your ACT instead of your SAT, rock the first semester of senior year and you'll be alrite for UConn type schools.

I also attended a Catholic prep, glad to see a fellow man of faith out there. Catholic schools sometimes get a tough grading rep, so that won't hurt.
Catholic prep is great. I go to a Jesuit uni with a lot of them. Cool guys and well rounded - smart, athletic, etc.

Reactions: md-2020