Am I in big trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start school in the fall, I will only have two of my three Hepatitis B shots.

I'm really worried and paranoid that they're going to not let me start school. :scared:

What are my options? Should I just get the third shot right before school starts? :(

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Before I start school in the fall, I will only have two of my three Hepatitis B shots.

I'm really worried and paranoid that they're going to not let me start school. :scared:

What are my options? Should I just get the third shot right before school starts? :(

Please help!

I doubt your school will prevent you from matriculating because of your situation, as long as you are actively taking measures to meet their requirements, but get it directly from the horse's mouth. I think your best bet is to have a conversation with your medical school very soon and tell them your current situation with respect to your HepB series; let them guide you through what needs to be done.

Don't worry, I was in the same boat a year ago (as were dozens of people at my school). I was paranoid about every little detail prior to day 1. I submit to you that if you get the 3rd shot when you're ready for it, and then get a titer a month or so later, and it's positive, you'll be fine. I called the school & they comforted me. I suggest you give them a ringy-dingy and see what they say. The school really does need your money (in most cases), so they should work with you. My school is still waiting for my MMR titer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason I'm worried is because they want the immunization forms completed right when we start orientation.

I'll give them a call tomorrow with an update.

Undoubtedly, there's an overachieving premed on the wait list at your institution who, having had all three of his hepatitis shots, is covetously eyeing your seat with his beady little eyes.

...relax. It won't be a big deal at all.

On a side note, how could you possibly get Hepatitis B as a first-year medical student? Do they let you on the wards that early?

I agree with the other posters that you should just let the school know you will be getting the third one sometime in the first year, and you'll be fine.

On a side note, how could you possibly get Hepatitis B as a first-year medical student? Do they let you on the wards that early?

I agree with the other posters that you should just let the school know you will be getting the third one sometime in the first year, and you'll be fine.

I was thinking the same thing. I think they just have everyone get it before school starts so that they don't get to 3 months before rotations, when they're making sure everyone is up to date, and find out that they have to vaccinate 100 students.

OP... I don't want to sound rude, but seriously, you neeeeeeed to relax. If you're this worked up about something so silly, then you are going to have a hard time making it through the stresses of medical school. Also, if you are really that worried about something, don't bother posting it on SDN, just call the school.

i thought most ugrad colleges require proof of hepb immunization.