Am I in good shape so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theimplication

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN. I need your helpful input. I am currently finishing my sophomore year of undergrad at a state school in Michigan, and I wanted to know if I would be on track to being competitive at schools like U of M (hopefully being in-state helps).

Note: This is not what my current app would look like, but how it would look when I applied if I continued everything else without adding anything else for the next year.

• Employment at family business for 8 years (roughly 6000 hours)
  • Habitat for Humanity for 19 months (I could get this up to roughly 100 hours)
  • Research in genetics for 17 months (this will be probably close to 1000 hours)
  • Shadowing various physicians (Family medicine, radiologist, etc, hope to get up to around 150 hours)
  • Various intramural sports (freshman year and up)
  • Volunteer at hospice for 14 months (hope to get around 150-200 hours)
  • Volunteer at food delivery service in my hometown for 14 months (meet around twice a month, so roughly 50 hours)
  • I may put down this next one: Volunteer at free clinic type thing for about 2 years, but they meet very infrequently so roughly 50 hours or so.
  • Member of astronomy club for about 18 months and vice president of same club for about 14 months (I also may likely end up being president soon)
  • Hobby: About 8 years of amateur astronomy (I have multiple telescopes, books, and spend a lot of my time searching the sky)
And ending my sophomore year, I currently have a 4.0 GPA.

Sorry for the long post, but I am just looking for the advice of others to maximize my chances for medical school over this next year. Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you're in good shape. Now focus on keeping that 4.0 (or as close to it) and crushing your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're solid! Keep up the pace, murder the MCAT, and you'll be well-suited for IS schools and also competitive for top programs :thumbup:

Thank you both for the encouraging words! So should I just continue with these ECs and get as many hours as possible, or add something else?

You have a wide variety of experiences. Do what you like to do -where you feel
most involved and helpful. You are in good shape for the end of sophomore year! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
So is it safe to say, assuming I do very well on the MCAT, I would have a reasonable shot at a few top schools?

So is it safe to say, assuming I do very well on the MCAT, I would have a reasonable shot at a few top schools?
Of course. Just keep the GPA going strong, keep racking up EC hours, and maybe get in some publications or distinguished honors with the research, and I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive for top schools. That is, of course, assuming you're socially competent and don't scare off adcoms at interviews :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
That last part made me laugh :laugh:

Sorry for all the questions, but I have another. Is there anything on that list not worth continuing? I'm now (as of yesterday) president of the astronomy club, but everywhere I go on SDN, people say club leadership is a waste of time. Opinions?

Maybe I should just stay off SDN until I apply lol I'm just trying to maximize my application for "mid-tier" schools. I have a love-hate relationship with this site lol

That last part made me laugh :laugh:

Sorry for all the questions, but I have another. Is there anything on that list not worth continuing? I'm now (as of yesterday) president of the astronomy club, but everywhere I go on SDN, people say club leadership is a waste of time. Opinions?

Maybe I should just stay off SDN until I apply lol I'm just trying to maximize my application for "mid-tier" schools. I have a love-hate relationship with this site lol
Tbh I wouldn't change anything. You've got a good mix of things. One of my professors always told us to have three types of EC's: those you do for fun, those you do for academic pursuit, and those you out of altruism. You seem to have em all covered. As far as club leadership, as long as you're not doing it for the sole purpose of 'getting leadership experience,' and take up leadership roles out of genuine passion, I'd say it's a plus. It shows you're passionate about your interests and that you take the initiative to step forward and lead, an often overlooked part of being a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users