SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Am I in the minority? Qbank HARDER than USMLE world..

Discussion in 'Step I' started by SticknRudder, May 15, 2007.

1. SticknRudder

SticknRudder Throttle Up Baby! 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2002
    After reading all the reviews about UW being a better indicator of Step 1 material, I finally took the plunge. I had done about 600 questions of Kaplan Qbank before I purchased UW and have been getting killed on the nit-picky details of the fascinomas that Kaplan loves.

After doing about 100 questions on UW, I really feel it's a much more fair, much more to the first aid, step up, BRS phys/path level of testing on general concepts.

They do say (Kaplan, that is) that 40-50% of the board is "general concepts", so my discovery that USMLE World questions seem to center on the concepts is encouraging.

I'm not sure what the bashing of UW is about in the other thread, but I've found it pretty good so far.

Don't let me fool, anyone....the questions are damn hard, but if you think about it for awhile using basic concepts, you can find the connection. That hasn't been my experience with 30-40% of Kaplan questions.

In case anyone is on the fence about UW, like I have been for the past couple weeks, I thought you'd like another opinion....

Good Luck All!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. goodies

goodies Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2005
    NY

no, you definitely aren't the only one. i feel the exact same way. i finished the entire UW bank and started doing qbank... and only got like 58% on my first block of 50!!!!! wtf. i thought the qbank questions were VERY different from the UW style... qbank tests on a greater level of detail compared to UW. i hope the real thing isn't like that.

4. goodies

goodies Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2005
    NY
    i just took another set of 50 on qbank to see how i would do and i got 10% higher than before. i guess it depends on what random questions you get in your block of 50. but i still think that they're less concept-oriented than UW

5. bjackrian

bjackrian Senior Member Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I agree that QBank seems harder after doing UWorld. They really do want a lot more little details than Uworld and the NBMEs seem to want. My estimated scores from NBMEs are roughly 30 points higher than my estimated score based on QBank so far. We'll hope NBMEs are more representative. :)

6. domer621

domer621 MS4 5+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I feel the same, especially with regard to Micro questions. The Kaplan questions are terrible.

I did find the UWorld biochem q's tougher than Kaplan's, though.