Am I in TROUBLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
long story short: I took 2 classes (winter quarter) at a comm. college while I was taking a 2 yr. break from UG. I took the classes out of interest and paid out-of-pocket, no fin. aid. That was 8 yrs ago and I pretty much forgot about it until one of the courses turned out to be a pre req at one of the schools I applied to. Problem: those 2 courses are not mentioned on my AMCAS. I have no reason to be dishonest, as I received A's in both classes. I just didn't really think about it. I have never used those classes for transcripts or anything. What should I do? Do I take a quickie online course to fulfill the req or do I come clean with the admissions people and hope that they don't crucify me? I really need help! What is the worst thing that could likely happen if I come clean now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should send the transcripts to the school you're going to, since you're required to submit transcripts of any additional course work you've done before matriculation. I'd hope they'd be understanding since you did fine in those courses, however I'm not 100% sure. You might want to contact your pre-med advisor.

I would forward your transcripts to the schools your applied to along with a brief explanatory cover letter. Since your grades were good, there was obviously no motivation for you to intentionally hide this info & your explanation should be sufficient. I can't imagine you would be seriously penalized for a trivial oversight if YOU are the one to bring it to light and attempt to rectify it. The only problem (possibly) would be if this information came from a source other than you. Since you had A's in these classes, though, it's hard to see their omission being viewed as an intentional misrepresentation which would materially affect your chances for admission. In other words, I don't think this is a big deal.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Honesty is definitely the best policy for stuff like this. I don't think the omission is going to get you in lots of trouble, but lying about it in any way certainly would. When you send in your final transcripts, just send them with a note like the person above me mentioned including your phone number and email address (even though they should already have it) asking them to contact you if there are any problems or questions.

I was in a similar situation to the OP.

When I was in middle school and high school, I always took summer courses to prepare for the next year. In addition, I got a C in first-semester OChem at my university...so I took it again during the summer to prepare myself for second-semester OChem and got an A. However, that class was 10 years ago, and the classes that I took in middle school and high school are obviously much older than that. Plus a lot of these classes are courses like "SAT Prep" and "Algebra II," considering I took them in high school.

I was unaware that this was a problem until I saw posts relating to it on SDN. I, too, had nothing to hide, so I wrote to the schools at which I was waitlisted/interviewing/etc. and they all told me to submit the transcripts. I don't know if it has hurt me (yet?) but it's better to be completely honest in your situation. I just hope that I don't have my one D.O. acceptance retracted because of it, nor do I want it to jeopardize my waitlist status. In the end, though, I'm glad I decided to make the decision, and hopefully it works out in my favor.

long story short: I took 2 classes (winter quarter) at a comm. college while I was taking a 2 yr. break from UG. I took the classes out of interest and paid out-of-pocket, no fin. aid. That was 8 yrs ago and I pretty much forgot about it until one of the courses turned out to be a pre req at one of the schools I applied to. Problem: those 2 courses are not mentioned on my AMCAS. I have no reason to be dishonest, as I received A's in both classes. I just didn't really think about it. I have never used those classes for transcripts or anything. What should I do? Do I take a quickie online course to fulfill the req or do I come clean with the admissions people and hope that they don't crucify me? I really need help! What is the worst thing that could likely happen if I come clean now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I say come clean and have an official transcript from that community college sent to the schools you applied to.