Am I insane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwineLake98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, I was accepted to UB through the Early Assurance Progam (translation: no MCATs). I'm pretty convinced that I don't want to do private practice (I want to be in a hospital setting), and I don't know what specialty I'm looking at, but right now I'm thinking along the lines of internal medicine or immunology. The thing is, I'm a Biochem major, and I really enjoy it. I'm one of those weirdos who likes structures and mechanisms. I don't want to not use my science background. My parents had talked me out of the MD/PhD because they didn't want me in school that long. I'm not sure I want to be in school that long, either. I had been telling myself I should just go to med school, and if I want a PhD, I can go back and get it, but everyone I talk to says that won't be easy. I want to practice medicine, but at the same time, I could someday forsee wanting to be a research physician or maybe even wanting to teach. I think I would actually enjoy the PhD process, but with the way the MD/PhD is structured, I'm not sure I'd handle having to go do that work when everyone I started med school with was going into the clinics. Plus, it would mean taking August MCATs, and I don't at this point have any publications to boast about on an application (I may by this summer). Needless to say, I am a little confused right now. What do you guys think? Anyone else in a similar position?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, what's your concern?

MWillie said:
Wait, what's your concern?

Yea, sorry, I kind of rambled there...
I'm guessing I'm wondering whether or not I should take the MCATs and apply for the MD/PhD program. Am I limiting myself in the future by not having both degrees?

Members don't see this ad :)
SwineLake98 said:
I'm guessing I'm wondering whether or not I should take the MCATs and apply for the MD/PhD program. Am I limiting myself in the future by not having both degrees?

I would not think so. There are many MDs that head excellent research labs and practice medicine. MDs also teach academeic medicine at medical schools or in residency programs. If you look at research position openings in labs within the biomedical field the requirement is generally PhD or MD. So when it comes to research and academic medicine they are considered nearly equivalent.

getunconcsious said:
So tell your parents to go to hell. I did! :D
then i hope you are financially independent, not to mention not needing them in your life for any kind of support or relationship :thumbdown:

SwineLake98 said:

i would say probably not. you don't need a PhD to do research - there are plenty of MD's who do research as well (my dad is one!). i'd say if being able to do research is your only goal with regard to your PhD, you probably will be ok without one.

Psycho Doctor said:
then i hope you are financially independent, not to mention not needing them in your life for any kind of support or relationship :thumbdown:

Yes and Yes! I need no one! :smuggrin: "I am a rock...I am an island"

Wasn't there some kind of report out recently showing that it was easier for M.D.'s to get grant money than Ph.D.'s?

An M.D. can practice medicine or can practice medicine. The drawback is that medschool+residency is longer than a Ph.D., so it doesn't make as much sense if you know you want to do research.

It's true that you don't need an MD to do research and having an MD gives you no advantage whatsoever in obtaining grants for basic research. If UB has an MD/PhD program, you might try to get into it through the back door; do research between your first and second year of med. school and impress them so much that they'll let you transfer into the MD/PhD program. I shared a lab with a guy who did exactly this at another university (got into the Early Assurance MD program without taking the MCAT, then applied to the MD/PhD program after he was accepted). He ended up with an MD and a PhD - paying only one year of medical school fees - and he got out of taking BOTH the GRE and the MCAT. I was kind of proud of him.

Scottish Chap said:
It's true that you don't need an MD to do research and having an MD gives you no advantage whatsoever in obtaining grants for basic research. If UB has an MD/PhD program, you might try to get into it through the back door; do research between your first and second year of med. school and impress them so much that they'll let you transfer into the MD/PhD program. I shared a lab with a guy who did exactly this at another university (got into the Early Assurance MD program without taking the MCAT, then applied to the MD/PhD program after he was accepted). He ended up with an MD and a PhD - paying only one year of medical school fees - and he got out of taking BOTH the GRE and the MCAT. I was kind of proud of him.

I was actually thinking of looking into whether or not this was an option (applying after the first year...I know some schools only let you apply to the MD/PhD after you're in the med school), and I guess that way I've been there for a year and can make a better decision as to whether or not I'm willing to take on the extra 3 years. I was always under the impression it was easier to get funding for research with a PhD, so thanks for shedding some light, guys!

O/T: myodana -- are you a dancer?

SwineLake98 said:
and I guess that way I've been there for a year and can make a better decision

Exactly. You're probably overthinking this whole process right now. There is no way to anticipate if you will still want/need a PhD after med school gets underway, so as painful as it is to wait, that's just what I'd do. Lord knows you wouldn't be the first person to walk into med school with a clear plan, and then scrap the whole lot. I went from my PhD into med school thinking I wanted to remain academic and do translational research, but after seeing the clinical side of things I've shifted my goals to the point where my PhD was largely a waste.

Like Dave once sang, "and if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing,
you may find you're missing all the rest."

SwineLake98 said:
as to whether or not I'm willing to take on the extra 3 years.

Three if you're lucky. Depending on the institution, 3 can turn into 4 can turn into 5 pretty readily. Next thing you know you're staggering down the graduation aisle in 2014.

SwineLake98 said:
I was always under the impression it was easier to get funding for research with a PhD, so thanks for shedding some light, guys!

It might depend on who you're writing grants to. I have always heard (from rather bitter PhD's, no less) that you stand a significantly better chance at NIH with the "MD" after your name. NSF might be a different story, and one can only guess about the myriad other sources of funding out there.

Crake said:
The drawback is that medschool+residency is longer than a Ph.D.

You're forgetting the pesky little post-doc that is attached to the end of the PhD. A PhD can run 5+ years easily, and post-docs can approach the same. All of a sudden 10 years have passed and you're just now starting your first assistant prof job. Oops! Also, med school and residency have defined lengths, which makes them INFINITELY less soul-crushing than the open-ended PhD and post doc processes (read: intellectual and emotional pillagings).

P.S. And yes, you are insane. :rolleyes: