Am I just being neurotic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aftomdhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am worried because I have not received any interview invites yet. My AMCAS application was verified July 8, and I had all my secondaries submitted by July 31 (except for a few MD ones that did not send secondaries until after Aug 1). My AACOMAS one took longer to verify (they lost TWO of my transcripts, and it was not complete until Aug 7). I am a re-applicant, and really worried. I have been working my whole life for this, and do not know what I will do if I do not make it. I applied to 26 MD schools and 9 DO schools.

Undergrad-Biology and Classics at Claremont McKenna college (uGPA 3.0, sGPA 2.9)
Grad-Masters in Molecular Biology gGPA 3.9
MCAT-24, retake 27 (8PS, 9BS, 10VR)
Idaho Resident
SES Disadvantaged 01
Speak Spanish, some Greek, some Latin
Combat vet of Afghanistan
Hospital Accreditation/Administration-4000 hours
Lab research-300 hours
Public Health Campaign-75 hours
Other Volunteer activities-1000 + hours
Stroke Analyst in rural hospital-600 hours (observed several neurosurgeries and other clinical experience)
After school program for disabled children-100 hours
Bio and Chem tutor-200 hours
ROTC-1500 hours
NCAA DIII Cross Country athlete
Boy Scout counselor-First Aid and Rock Climbing-600 hours
Combat First Aid instructor-150 hours
Hospital Candy Striper-500 hours

Please help or give suggestions on whether I should apply for more schools.

Members don't see this ad.

OP why did you only apply to 9 DO schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Your ECs are great, but your GPA and MCAT will sink you at most MD schools.

See where this interview season takes you, but if you don't get it, apply more widely DO next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am worried because I have not received any interview invites yet. My AMCAS application was verified July 8, and I had all my secondaries submitted by July 31 (except for a few MD ones that did not send secondaries until after Aug 1). My AACOMAS one took longer to verify (they lost TWO of my transcripts, and it was not complete until Aug 7). I am a re-applicant, and really worried. I have been working my whole life for this, and do not know what I will do if I do not make it. I applied to 26 MD schools and 9 DO schools.

Undergrad-Biology and Classics at Claremont McKenna college (uGPA 3.0, sGPA 2.9)
Grad-Masters in Molecular Biology gGPA 3.9
MCAT-24, retake 27 (8PS, 9BS, 10VR)
Idaho Resident
SES Disadvantaged 01
Speak Spanish, some Greek, some Latin
Combat vet of Afghanistan
Hospital Accreditation/Administration-4000 hours
Lab research-300 hours
Public Health Campaign-75 hours
Other Volunteer activities-1000 + hours
Stroke Analyst in rural hospital-600 hours (observed several neurosurgeries and other clinical experience)
After school program for disabled children-100 hours
Bio and Chem tutor-200 hours
ROTC-1500 hours
NCAA DIII Cross Country athlete
Boy Scout counselor-First Aid and Rock Climbing-600 hours
Combat First Aid instructor-150 hours
Hospital Candy Striper-500 hours

Please help or give suggestions on whether I should apply for more schools.

While I recommend applying to more than 9 DO schools I think the bolded can help make you competitive potentially.

Usually, But it didn't help last cycle. OP what have you done to improve your application since your last application cycle? Did you apply to DO schools last cycle? You might be getting auto screened at MD schools. You should be ok at DO schools.

The problem with the last cycle was that I applied super late in the cycle. I could not afford the apps, so I usually applied right on the deadline, not understanding the importance of rolling admissions (I even had to live in my car a few months to afford apps :-/). Money is still a bit of a consideration, and I thought I had a better shot at DO, so I applied to my top choices. I am working in hospital administration now, so I have about 4000 hours of clinical and leadership experiences in a hospital.

Your ECs are ridiculous. You have a good chance at the lower-tier MD schools, but your MCAT score is killing you.

Why don't you invest some time to upgrade your MCAT? If you did only marginally better, you would have much better chances, even at the top schools!

Your ECs are ridiculous. You have a good chance at the lower-tier MD schools, but your MCAT score is killing you.

Why don't you invest some time to upgrade your MCAT? If you did only marginally better, you would have much better chances, even at the top schools!

Top schools with a 2.9 sGPA? Really? And OP has already retaken the MCAT.

Don't just haphazardly make claims like that.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, my usGPA was 2.9. My gsGPA is 3.9, but unfortunately, it seems like uGPA counts for more. I agree though, I'm not sure if re-taking the MCAT would be worth it. I know I can do significantly better, because both times I took it I had military duties that prevented me from studying and devoting myself half as much as I was capable of, but I do not think they would be impressed with a 34+ MCAT after scoring a 24 and 27.

Top schools with a 2.9 sGPA? Really? And OP has already retaken the MCAT.

The AAMC recommends that we average the old MCAT as a benchmark to assess mastery of skills.
Graduate GPA's are not available for all applicants and are generally viewed to be inflated.
A late application could have affected last year's outcome but your very desirable personal qualities are being offset by grades and scores that are not consistent with success at most MD schools.
A broad DO application is probably more likely to get results.

Thank you gyngyn. So do you think it is likely they do not believe I am capable of performing in medical school? Is there anything I could do to help change that?

The AAMC recommends that we average the old MCAT as a benchmark to assess mastery of skills.
Graduate GPA's are not available for all applicants and are generally viewed to be inflated.
A late application could have affected last year's outcome but your very desirable personal qualities are being offset by grades and scores that are not consistent with success at most MD schools.
A broad DO application is probably more likely to get results.

Thank you gyngyn. So do you think it is likely they do not believe I am capable of performing in medical school? Is there anything I could do to help change that?
This cycle has left the station, I'm afraid. With an abundance of luck you may get interviews because of veteran status. Barring that, a post bac would be one way to overcome jittery committees (and an MCAT over 510).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. Should I add more DO schools? I did not apply to any of the branches of Touro U. Would that be a good addition?

This cycle has left the station, I'm afraid. With an abundance of luck you may get interviews because of veteran status. Barring that, a post bac would be one way to overcome jittery committees (and an MCAT over 510).

Last edited:
With veteran status (and many thanks for your service to our country) and the high post-bac GPA, should be good to go fro any DO school.

Have you retaken andy F/D/C science coursework? If so, calculate your GPA according to AACOMAS' grade replacement format.

I concur with gyngyn that applying to more DO schools will be a wise investment, including the coastal Touros.

Thank you for your advice. Should I add more DO schools? I did not apply to any of the branches of Touro U. Would that be a good addition?

I don't have any Ds or Fs, and only a couple Cs, but were replaced with As in the masters. The problem was that I had to work my way through undergrad, and being at a top tier school without grade inflation, I got pretty solid Bs in all my science classes. My AACOMAS sGPA is actually slightly less than my AMCAS one, because it does not count math, which I did pretty well in. I'll add a few more DO schools. Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate your advice.

With veteran status (and many thanks for your service to our country) and the high post-bac GPA, should be good to go fro any DO school.

Have you retaken andy F/D/C science coursework? If so, calculate your GPA according to AACOMAS' grade replacement format.

I concur with gyngyn that applying to more DO schools will be a wise investment, including the coastal Touros.

I don't have any Ds or Fs, and only a couple Cs, but were replaced with As in the masters. The problem was that I had to work my way through undergrad, and being at a top tier school without grade inflation, I got pretty solid Bs in all my science classes. My AACOMAS sGPA is actually slightly less than my AMCAS one, because it does not count math, which I did pretty well in. I'll add a few more DO schools. Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate your advice.

If you have a 2.9 after 4 years of schooling, the chances are you have more than only 2 C's. If that isn't true, then you surely dont have more than 1 A.

I had one B in my masters, and the rest were As.

@chickpeagoals Yes, I ended up getting 6 IIs, 3 DO, 3 MD. I got accepted to the first DO school I interviewed at less than a week after the interview, so I turned down the other two DO interviews. I was accepted at 2 of the MD schools and the #2 ranked alternate at the 3rd one. I chose one of the MD schools.

Last edited:
I'm curious why you created a burner account to ask a question on a thread that is 18 months old?