Am I just not smart enough? Hours spent studying ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inchant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Junior here. I have a high gpa (3.96) but I worked my lil butt off for every single grade. Studying 6 hours a day is typical for me . Often times I have to utilize several resources (google, youtube, friends, in addition to textbook) to fully grasp concepts meanwhile I have friends who just glance at the textbook. They also think it's crazy that I study 5-6 hours a day (8 on weekends) and I notice that I am just generally slow to fully understand things. I know for sure that I want to be a doctor however, I fear that I maybe too dumb for med school. I know someone is going to say that I won't be accepted into med school if they didn't think I can do it but honestly they won't know how much sleep I get and how much I study every day. In your opinion will I be able to handle med school course work if I have to study that much in undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever works for you right now. In med school, you will need to change your study skills. This is true for the genius that studies 1 hour a day and goes and parties every night and still gets straight A's. This is true for someone with study methods like you.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm not in med school yet, but my understanding is that it's a whole new beast for all of us

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a 3.96 lol....

but if you really want to improve, you have to work for it. you have the discipline and work ethic. but now you need to just push yourself to be more efficient. try to pinpoint what strategies are high yield for you and what is a waste of time (for me, going to lecture & taking notes more formal than just scribbles on scrap paper was a waste)

Stop spending 6 hours per day studying in high school. Go live teenage life

To your question, we can't really answer based on a high school GPA, because there's no standard meaning to it! Something like AP classes and scores, SAT/ACT are really the best way to gauge how you'll handle college

Just don't compare yourself to others. The only way my study group in med school can stay sane is by not sharing what grades we get on tests.

To your question, we can't really answer based on a high school GPA, because there's no standard meaning to it! Something like AP classes and scores, SAT/ACT are really the best way to gauge how you'll handle college
What are you talking about? Where do you get that he's in high school?

work if I have to study that much in undergrad?

Stop spending 6 hours per day studying in high school. Go live teenage life

OP is in undergrad, I believe. And to be honest, OP, you need to change your study skills. Those hours are pretty extreme med school hours, where the volume is undoubtedly going to be more. I doubt it's that you're dumb, but you should work with someone to help you.

What are you talking about? Where do you get that he's in high school?
OP is in undergrad, I believe. And to be honest, OP, you need to change your study skills. Those hours are pretty extreme med school hours, where the volume is undoubtedly going to be more. I doubt it's that you're dumb, but you should work with someone to help you.
My bad, was in the highschool SDN forums in another tab.

OP if you have a 3.96 with half of college down, you're being ridiculous!

My bad, was in the highschool SDN forums in another tab.

OP if you have a 3.96 with half of college down, you're being ridiculous!
Haha, multi-tabbing on sdn. Doing work...

Reactions: 1 users
Also have you ever been diagnosed with ADD? That sounds like a lot of work... granted I don't know how rigorous your curriculum or course load is

I'd say you were smart enough but perhaps your study skills are lacking.

Go to the learning resource center. Tell Them your story and ask For help In developing more efficient study methods.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It depends. Do you have to study hard (or at all) for the finals? If the answer is no, you are doing fine. Can you master an obscure topic from a random course you have taken semesters ago? If the answer is yes, you are doing super and are actually very smart. I am one of those imbeciles who studied 1 hours/day (very generous estimates) and got As then forgot everything afterward.

Pattern-recognition is a task for monkeys.