Am I Make a Fatal Error in my Study Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've always considered myself a much more auditory learner. I've been finding Chads videos to make much more sense than simply reading TBR. I've of course gone through the SN2 schedule and have been reading EK/TBR, but I'm thinking about placing a full emphasis on Chad's videos during my last 7 weeks of study.

Is this a mistake? Is relying on video a bad decision if I'm still trying to get some concepts down?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've always considered myself a much more auditory learner. I've been finding Chads videos to make much more sense than simply reading TBR. I've of course gone through the SN2 schedule and have been reading EK/TBR, but I'm thinking about placing a full emphasis on Chad's videos during my last 7 weeks of study.

Is this a mistake? Is relying on video a bad decision if I'm still trying to get some concepts down?

if that's how you learn, then reading the books wont do you any good! Just do what works best for YOU! Take some practice tests along the way to see how it's working out for you

This is so variable it would be hard to answer directly. I think it depends on the concepts/subject matter. Chad's videos are great for some things but then he doesn't give enough emphasis/time to other areas. I'm sure you have a list of things you are weak at by this point, and a time table to devote to those topics. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't limit myself to any one particular source or material. I think you could take the approach (since you are an auditory learner) of trying Chad's first, and if you still do not feel comfortable check out youtube. I'm sure there are plenty of in depth lectures over almost every topic on the mcat, even though it might be from a course specific perspective instead of the mcat.

The most important thing imo is to just make sure you keep plowing ahead until you can honestly say that you understand the concepts well enough to answer questions from every possible angle. It probably goes without saying, but I would make sure you use the standard sources for more practice passages once you nail down these weak areas, as those are the only real available standard for truly testing your comprehension in an mcat setting.

I have experienced this exact same sort of feeling. I've been reading TBR and while I grasp the material well, after a few weeks some of it doesn't "stick" as well it I'd like it. I started watching just some basic Kahn Academy videos and the videos have helped SIGNIFICANTLY. The concepts are much more clear when you have that visual attachment. I also poke through the kaplan reviews of concepts just to top it off.

Long story short, the videos have helped my understanding so much, but I'm not ready to abandon the detailed information and practical application I've gotten with TBR.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so variable it would be hard to answer directly. I think it depends on the concepts/subject matter. Chad's videos are great for some things but then he doesn't give enough emphasis/time to other areas. I'm sure you have a list of things you are weak at by this point, and a time table to devote to those topics. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't limit myself to any one particular source or material. I think you could take the approach (since you are an auditory learner) of trying Chad's first, and if you still do not feel comfortable check out youtube. I'm sure there are plenty of in depth lectures over almost every topic on the mcat, even though it might be from a course specific perspective instead of the mcat.

The most important thing imo is to just make sure you keep plowing ahead until you can honestly say that you understand the concepts well enough to answer questions from every possible angle. It probably goes without saying, but I would make sure you use the standard sources for more practice passages once you nail down these weak areas, as those are the only real available standard for truly testing your comprehension in an mcat setting.

Thanks for your response. This is somewhat what I was concerned about; Chad's videos not being detailed oriented enough. Truthfully, my goals are a bit different - my AAMC 3 was a 29 at the midway point of content review. I make no distinction between MD/DO and I'm not shooting for a competitive field (I'm very concrete in my ambitions). I'm 99% certain a 30 will get me multiple DO acceptances and perhaps an MD if I apply broadly.

For someone like me, who isn't all that concerned about shooting for a mid-upper 30's score, would videos itself suffice to get me to the 30 plateau...or anyone for that matter?

I would ask the same question, but to tell you the truth...I am just like you. I went through EK/TPR/TBR last cycle, but did not do the exam cause I really didn't do practice questions and what not...so i just read through the concepts to refresh ma mind and now I am back to the beginning. What am doing different though is indeed only CHADs videos for content review ****(And man! the guy is good! Whatever topic he teaches=just about it all you need, he makes it so clear/ way better than my professors that it actually clicks)...Everything i couldn't grasp during my pre-reqs now clicks in the 2-5 minutes he teaches the topic &&&you can't beat that&&&.**** So my thing this time, watch all MCAT vids for 8 days as he has them planned without taking notes, but doing practice questions and passages from TPR science workbook, then second round, watch them all again in 8 days with note taking, + TRP SWKBK, then perhaps (which is a definite for me) a 3rd round before full lengths.

All in all,,,i personally don't think its an error. THE GUY IS JUST GOOD....

Do whatever you need to do to learn the content (chad TBR ect) however there is no way you can get around doing a ton of practice problems. Do practice problems from TBR and TPR SB.

Do whatever you need to do to learn the content (chad TBR ect) however there is no way you can get around doing a ton of practice problems. Do practice problems from TBR and TPR SB.
Thanks for the response.

I plan on doing a ton of practice problems during my last 4 weeks...hoping to knock out 2500 practice problems (including AAMC tests). I've gone through most of TBR, are TPR SB just as good? also, how do you think those two compare to EK 1001 series (not a fan..)

Thanks for your response. This is somewhat what I was concerned about; Chad's videos not being detailed oriented enough. Truthfully, my goals are a bit different - my AAMC 3 was a 29 at the midway point of content review. I make no distinction between MD/DO and I'm not shooting for a competitive field (I'm very concrete in my ambitions). I'm 99% certain a 30 will get me multiple DO acceptances and perhaps an MD if I apply broadly.

For someone like me, who isn't all that concerned about shooting for a mid-upper 30's score, would videos itself suffice to get me to the 30 plateau...or anyone for that matter?

I don't think anyone could answer the bolded question with any real certainty. I encourage you to think of this in another way..... we both know that the variance involved in this test is fairly high. The only way to lower variance in this setting is to make sure you are strong in as many topics as possible..... ideally all of them. I think starting with a 29 halfway through content is a good sign, but you are going to be so sick with yourself if you underperform come test day because you didn't spend enough time with certain material. That is one of the few things in your direct control, take advantage of that. IMO again start with the videos, then do passages over that weak area.....If you are still struggling then find another reputable video source/text/podcast.

I say this all the time, but it is because I think it is so important. Have an internal dialogue with yourself and be completely honest. "Do I know this?"....... "Could I have answered that question with a gun to my head?"....
"Why did I only narrow it down to two AC's and not one?"........ do what ever is necessary and you will not be dissapointed if you don't do well..... you will know you did everything in your power with the amount of time available.

I think Chads videos have a good enough reputation that you can rely on it covering most MCAT topics accurately. If you know the way you learn best, then you should 100% go for it.

What I'm worried about is it sounds like you are doing WAY too much content review and not any practice passages at all. Content review is literally the least beneficial portion of a study schedule. It's necessary, sure.. but by and large useless on its own.

You NEED to do practice passages and full-length practice exams. Not after content review but along with it. Review a topic, do some questions, etc.

As far as which resources to use (as you asked in a followup post), check out the link below for a review of them all. IMO, given your goals and study schedule, I would use TPRH and not TBR. AAMC Self-Assessment is a must.

I think Chads videos have a good enough reputation that you can rely on it covering most MCAT topics accurately. If you know the way you learn best, then you should 100% go for it.

What I'm worried about is it sounds like you are doing WAY too much content review and not any practice passages at all. Content review is literally the least beneficial portion of a study schedule. It's necessary, sure.. but by and large useless on its own.

You NEED to do practice passages and full-length practice exams. Not after content review but along with it. Review a topic, do some questions, etc.

As far as which resources to use (as you asked in a followup post), check out the link below for a review of them all. IMO, given your goals and study schedule, I would use TPRH and not TBR. AAMC Self-Assessment is a must.

Thanks for your reply.

Just a question in the event I'm missing something here...

A couple of people have told me I need to do (more) practice questions. I've indicated in my posts that I've done 75% of TBR passages, as well as 25% of EK 1,001 questions/passages. This comes out to something like 1,800 questions. For some reason, are these not considered practice passages/questions (though I don't know why they wouldn't be) OR is the amount I've done with 6.5 weeks to go not enough?

Thanks for your reply.

Just a question in the event I'm missing something here...

A couple of people have told me I need to do (more) practice questions. I've indicated in my posts that I've done 75% of TBR passages, as well as 25% of EK 1,001 questions/passages. This comes out to something like 1,800 questions. For some reason, are these not considered practice passages/questions (though I don't know why they wouldn't be) OR is the amount I've done with 6.5 weeks to go not enough?

In the OP, it doesn't mention practice passages at all.. that's where the concern comes from. I only realized you are doing passages as I read through the rest of the thread. You talked about putting full emphasis on Chad's videos.. which are pure content review. That's not a good idea at all unless you are supplementing it with practice passages. Ditch EK1001 though.

Not that the amount of practice passages you do matters (more importantly is what you take away from them, so reviewing is a must), but that seems like a very healthy amount. You should start doing FLs soon.