Am I making a terrible mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BusToER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my application for this cycle, but here's the thing:

- I haven't taken a physics class. At all. It's all being taken this coming year before (in an ideal world) starting in 2015.
- I'm taking the MCAT in August.

I've seen some advice on here that I should submit my application in June so that everything gets evaluated by AMCAS, and then apply to other places once the MCAT score gets in. Thing is, I have no idea how long that could possibly be after taking the test (maybe October, and isn't that late?) I'm also concerned that I won't even get a chance to explain why I'm missing one of the pre-requisites (so should I put it in my personal statement?) Combine both of these with the sense that I'm getting old, and I'm worried that I'm out of my depth a bit here.

I don't want this to sound like a "woe is me" sort of thing, but I'm a bit lost at this point, and could use a compass.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to finish pre-recs before applying, and you don't have to explain why. Wasting PS space to talk about coursework is not a good idea. There is a future coursework section to the coursework you enter on AMCAS.

but for real, no physics before MCAT? are you trollin?

Nyet, no trollin. Believe me, you're not the first person to tell me that. Not going into this blind though, taking MCAT prep and focusing hard on the physics part of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
One year will not make a difference in your career, so better take your time and prepare your application well! Since you are talking your MCAT so late for this cycle, your application will not be considered by any med school until they get your scores.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm w/ Cinabonchik on this one, that is, I think you have a bigger issue with late/unknown MCAT score. I wouldn't risk applying this year from what you say, but I have a feeling that this is not what you want to hear. good luck okay.

Someone please tell me what it means to "troll"

try to use google before you derail a tread, j/k :) via wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

I used "trollin" here because OP said he was not taking physics before the MCAT and that is at best highly inadvisable & I was trying to figure out if OP was serious or just looking to get a rise out of people.

Reactions: 1 user
100% concur. Taking a high-stakes, career-defining exam without having all of the prep for it is extremely foolish and makes me and my Adcom colleagues think that there is something wrong with your ability to make good choices.

Back when I was a lad, I had a good friend who took the MCAT without having taking Physics yet. Naturally, he did as well as random guessing would allow, and he bombed that portion (and others,...he just wasn't a good student). To this day, he just puts down his rationale as "being stupid".

Don't be stupid.

To say the least. And using getting old as an excuse is not an excuse. Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly

Taking a late MCAT, which will make your application very late despite the verification "trick" and taking it without physics puts probabilities against you, making you waste a ton of money and being a reapplicant next time.

My recommendation is apply next cycle

Reactions: 1 users
try to use google before you derail a tread, j/k :) via wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

I used "trollin" here because OP said he was not taking physics before the MCAT and that is at best highly inadvisable & I was trying to figure out if OP was serious or just looking to get a rise out of people.

Speaking of MCAT and physics, is a survey course in physics good enough or should one take Physics 1 and 2 or what is your advice on that for purposes of the MCAT???

Speaking of MCAT and physics, is a survey course in physics good enough or should one take Physics 1 and 2 or what is your advice on that for purposes of the MCAT???

I took a general Physics I&II (calculus based Physics is not necessary) & almost all topics covered in a year long course of Physics (I&II) were covered on the current MCAT. I cannot speak for the new MCAT nor can I speak to the content included in the survey course you are considering. My guess is the survey course will not be enough and will also not satisfy the pre-rec.

I took a general Physics I&II (calculus based Physics is not necessary) & almost all topics covered in a year long course of Physics (I&II) were covered on the current MCAT. I cannot speak for the new MCAT nor can I speak to the content included in the survey course you are considering. My guess is the survey course will not be enough and will also not satisfy the pre-rec.[/QUOTE

Ok thanks, I think you are right. btw, did you take calculus? Is college algebra sufficient for the MCAT?

I took 2 semesters of Calculus as an undergrad which, I should mention, was over 10 years before I took the MCAT. Calculus is a pre-rec for a small number of schools, but there is no calculus needed for the current MCAT. Basically, if you take Gen.Chem & Gen.Physics and performed well in those classes then your math skills are probably on par for the current MCAT. Like I mentioned earlier, I can't speak for the math requirements on the future MCAT.

Not trying to derail, but with a similar question; I read somewhere that going into the MCAT after Orgo I was ok... I have classes planned out that puts me taking a semester off to study for the test then Orgo II the semester after. Is that a bad idea too?

Not trying to derail, but with a similar question; I read somewhere that going into the MCAT after Orgo I was ok... I have classes planned out that puts me taking a semester off to study for the test then Orgo II the semester after. Is that a bad idea too?
Not nearly as bad as not taking any physics before the exam, but it is still not ideal. Can you take just Orgo II and do MCAT studying at the same time? Should be plenty of time to do both if you normally have a full-time schedule of classes......

I think if you study an Orgo MCAT book hard, I don't believe there is much disadvantage to doing this (some schools don't even require orgo II). I found that studying an MCAT book was the way I learned orgo best anyway.

Not taking any physics before MCAT is just a terrible idea.

MCAT without Physics first....just send me the fee for the test, at least that way you can feel better about throwing money away.

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to take Biochem the same semester I am studying. I could switch it out with Orgo2 - not sure which is more important before the test. It will be the new one since I am hoping to take it between spring/summer 2015.

I'm not suggesting that the OP take the MCAT without physics but to be honest the physics portion of the Physical Sciences section is quite elementary and you certainly don't need a year of physics education to do well on that section.

I'm not suggesting that the OP take the MCAT without physics but to be honest the physics portion of the Physical Sciences section is quite elementary and you certainly don't need a year of physics education to do well on that section.

It is very elementary, however it's still Physics and some of my class mates struggled really hard in it because they were used to memorizing facts and mechanisms not problem solving using general principles.

Everything is shades of grey. Is it impossible to do well without a year of Physics? Certainly not, but it is highly improbable. In OP's case, it makes especially little sense, as the MCAT would be really late in the application cycle, and even then I can't imagine he wouldn't stick out for having not taken physics... unless maybe he rocked the PS section (13+).

Cliffs: I would take the classes, do the MCAT in the spring, do other crap to improve your application (volunteering, etc.), and apply next cycle