Am I missing Organic Lab 2 ? Is this a mandatory prerequisite for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988786

I took Organic Chemistry 1 and its associated lab, then took Organic 2 without the lab as to not overwhelm myself for the semester.
When I transferred to another institution, the counselors described to me how the university that I transferred to doesn't have a lab associated with Organic 1, but rather only has a lab associated with Organic 2 , a course they call "CHM2211L Organic Lab Techniques 1" (2credits), which can only be taken with Organic 2.

when asking whether I should sign up for "organic techniques 1" , i got different advice from these counselors

• Counselor 1: The "CHM2211L Organic Techniques 1" course may be similar to the Organic Lab 1 I took at my previous institution, and that I might be able to ask for a permit to take "Organic Techniques 2". They said to reach out to Pre-health counseling
  • Pre-med counselor: "you having the 8 total credit hours of Organic Chemistry below, you should meet requirements for medial school admission.Most medical schools require you to have 2 semesters or 8 credit hours of Organic Chemistry; which you have" and said not to worry about additional labs? Is this counselor correct?

It makes me uncomfortable to not have a lab associated with Orgo 2?
To summarize: I have taken 2 credits of a Lab associated with Orgo 1, 3 credits of Orgo 1 lecture, and 3 credits of orgo 2 lecture. How important is it to have a lab associated with Organic 2?

I'm very confused. :( and don't know what to do. Am I fine like my pre-med counselor says, or am I missing lab credits?

1617065809017.png

Members don't see this ad.

I took Organic Chemistry 1 and its associated lab, then took Organic 2 without the lab as to not overwhelm myself for the semester.
When I transferred to another institution, the counselors described to me how the university that I transferred to doesn't have a lab associated with Organic 1, but rather only has a lab associated with Organic 2 , a course they call "CHM2211L Organic Lab Techniques 1" (2credits), which can only be taken with Organic 2.

when asking whether I should sign up for "organic techniques 1" , i got different advice from these counselors

• Counselor 1: The "CHM2211L Organic Techniques 1" course may be similar to the Organic Lab 1 I took at my previous institution, and that I might be able to ask for a permit to take "Organic Techniques 2". They said to reach out to Pre-health counseling
  • Pre-med counselor: "you having the 8 total credit hours of Organic Chemistry below, you should meet requirements for medial school admission.Most medical schools require you to have 2 semesters or 8 credit hours of Organic Chemistry; which you have" and said not to worry about additional labs? Is this counselor correct?

It makes me uncomfortable to not have a lab associated with Orgo 2?
To summarize: I have taken 2 credits of a Lab associated with Orgo 1, 3 credits of Orgo 1 lecture, and 3 credits of orgo 2 lecture. How important is it to have a lab associated with Organic 2?

I'm very confused. :( and don't know what to do. Am I fine like my pre-med counselor says, or am I missing lab credits?

View attachment 333715
If you go where it sounds like you go, it's one of the largest premed factories in the country, so the odds are high that your counselor knows what they are talking about. :)

Do you plan to take biochem? Most schools do not require a full year of orgo, with lab, AND biochem, so taking biochem with lab should cover you everywhere that wants 2 years of chem with lab. Of course, it is school specific, but I am reasonably sure you will be safe listening to your counselor.

At your school specifically, I think you are fine because, at most schools, the lab only carries one credit, so you need a full year with lab both semesters to hit the 8 credits. I think your counselor is correct, and med schools don't distinguish between one 2 credit lab and 2 one credit ones.

I think it depends on each medical school. Some schools just say 8 hours of organic. Other schools specify you need to have Orgo1, Orgo1 Lab, Orgo2, Orgo2 Lab.
But the fact that your lab was 2 credits might be okay cause labs are usually 1 credit.

Since your counselor is saying its okay, I'm sure it will be fine. If you want to double check, you can email a med school admissions at a nearby school to see what they think.