Am I missing something here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncguy2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol, let them have some harmless fun. I'm sure plenty of doctors feel the same way about nurses, but I don't think it's the norm in either case.

Eh, for the most part it's just harmless fun, granted I'm not sure if a reciprocal group would be perceived as so. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
In healthcare every profession thinks they are the heart and soul of the healthcare system and that they protect patients from harm inflicted by other professionals. This isn't the case. Healthcare requires a multidisciplinary approach and no profession is the heart and soul of healthcare...the patients are. However, I do believe nurses have more patient interaction and are able to decrease errors from being on the front lines.

All in all, I think it's good natured ribbing.

I do believe nurses have more patient interaction and are able to decrease errors from being on the front lines.

All in all, I think it's good natured ribbing.

thats exactly right. when the docs have a bunch of patients and they order a med or a dose which doesnt seem right cuz its been a long day and they havent had dinner and the nurse catches the error.... OR when the nurse, who spends 99% of her time with 2-4 patients while the doc has 20 and the nurse calls up the doc and says, hey i really think you oughta order this med bc the patient is about to die....

its a teamwork thing. dont think you can survive without the nurses help because they really can save your ass when you're overwhelmed.

thats exactly right. when the docs have a bunch of patients and they order a med or a dose which doesnt seem right cuz its been a long day and they havent had dinner and the nurse catches the error.... OR when the nurse, who spends 99% of her time with 2-4 patients while the doc has 20 and the nurse calls up the doc and says, hey i really think you oughta order this med bc the patient is about to die....

its a teamwork thing. dont think you can survive without the nurses help because they really can save your ass when you're overwhelmed.

:thumbup:

It's just psychology man. People lower on the totem pole need a release for pent up inferiority. I'm sure if those nurses could click their heels and become physicians, they'd do so in a heartbeat. And it wouldn't be because they think they'll now be able to accidentally start killing patients.

But alas they can't, they are relegated to nursing. So let them play their games while the big boys look from afar and chuckle at how cute they are.

Here's the deal... its a team game. And yes, the nurses play a huge role in that. They are the ones who actually take care of the patients.

They do all the triage stuff, and they give the meds. So if you write for a medication that the patient is allergic to, or maybe something that is contraindicated because of another medication they are taking, or whatever, the nurses will catch you.

They are a very important part of the patient care process. They know how to do things. The physicians know why. The med students know ****.

But there is some overlap, in that the nurses are not just mindless drones who carry out orders. They do know a thing or two, and a good nurse can really bail out an inexperienced doc. I've seen it many times.

So have respect for your co-workers, because we all need each other there to pick each other up. We all make mistakes, and its nice to know that your teammates have your back.

Here's the deal... its a team game. And yes, the nurses play a huge role in that. They are the ones who actually take care of the patients.

They do all the triage stuff, and they give the meds. So if you write for a medication that the patient is allergic to, or maybe something that is contraindicated because of another medication they are taking, or whatever, the nurses will catch you.

They are a very important part of the patient care process. They know how to do things. The physicians know why. The med students know ****.

But there is some overlap, in that the nurses are not just mindless drones who carry out orders. They do know a thing or two, and a good nurse can really bail out an inexperienced doc. I've seen it many times.

So have respect for your co-workers, because we all need each other there to pick each other up. We all make mistakes, and its nice to know that your teammates have your back.

Last I checked, this wasn't a Facebook group of doctors diminishing the role of nurses. So rather than everyone fire back with the instinctual, "respect nurses because we work in a team" dogma, how about acknowledging that nurses have no business trying to diminish the role of the physician. Why in the hell are we talking about how doctors think of nurses. It's the ****ing nurses talking ****?!

Last I checked, this wasn't a Facebook group of doctors diminishing the role of nurses. So rather than everyone fire back with the instinctual, "respect nurses because we work in a team" dogma, how about acknowledging that nurses have no business trying to diminish the role of the physician. Why in the hell are we talking about how doctors think of nurses. It's the ****ing nurses talking ****?!
1. Nurses are disrespected by doctors much more than doctors are disrespected by nurses.

2. Nurses are the ones who do the majority of the **** work, so they should have the right to bitch a little bit more.

3. Its called catharsis. Don't be so sensitive. You can't take things like this too seriously, and you certainly can't take it personally.

Some of my best friends are nurses, and my girlfriend is an ER nurse, so I do have some insight into this. No they don't hate doctors. There are certain doctors that they like more than others. They have to deal with a lot of bull****. Many of them know a lot more than they get credit for. And on top of that, the good nurses have to pick up the slack for the bad/lazy/inexperienced nurses. And yes, they pick up the slack for the doctors sometimes too.

And the reality of it is, yes, they absolutely keep doctors from killing their patients. This is a daily occurrence at big teaching hospitals with a lot of residents, especially.

1. Nurses are disrespected by doctors much more than doctors are disrespected by nurses.

2. Nurses are the ones who do the majority of the **** work, so they should have the right to bitch a little bit more.

3. Its called catharsis. Don't be so sensitive. You can't take things like this too seriously, and you certainly can't take it personally.

Some of my best friends are nurses, and my girlfriend is an ER nurse, so I do have some insight into this. No they don't hate doctors. There are certain doctors that they like more than others. They have to deal with a lot of bull****. Many of them know a lot more than they get credit for. And on top of that, the good nurses have to pick up the slack for the bad/lazy/inexperienced nurses. And yes, they pick up the slack for the doctors sometimes too.

And the reality of it is, yes, they absolutely keep doctors from killing their patients. This is a daily occurrence at big teaching hospitals with a lot of residents, especially.

Fair enough.

I should add that the good nurses are very appreciative of the doctors who will take time to explain stuff to them. That is, why they do what they do in certain situations, etc.

My only experience is in the ER, where the docs and nurses work side-by-side a lot more. As a result, the personal relationship between the docs and nurses will be stronger, and it will also stand out more prominently when a doc is an a-hole (rare in emergency medicine... I can probably count on one hand the number of malignant attendings I've known in 5+ years being around EM).

On the floors, it is probably where most of the bitching occurs. The doc from whatever service might show up every now and then to round on his/her patients, never really get to know the nurses or discuss the patients at length with them, and there isn't the regular communication that they have in the ED. You can see how this might be frustrating to the nurses.

It's not hateful. It's the truth more often than we would probably like to admit.

In my previous life as a paramedic, I noticed something: Good physicians earned respect because they were knowledgeable, they knew what was going on, and they listened to nurses who questioned them. The bad docs were often the "malignant" ones who acted like they received a crown and scepter with their medical degree, and pulled the "You don't know anything, you're just a nurse" line when they were questioned.

Both kinds of docs made mistakes, but nurses were sometimes fearful of pointing out the bad docs' mistakes because those docs took it out on the nurses (as though it was their fault for the docs' screw-up). This made the nurses LESS likely to point out the bad docs' mistakes... which is just asking for trouble.

Trust me, you need the nurses. Pithy saying of the day: Docs save lives. Nurses save doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what really rubbed me the wrong way about this is just the way some of them word things. I completely agree that they are a valuable part of the healthcare team. I can't even begin to tell you how many times (out of the small amount of time I've shadowed/volunteered/etc.) that I've seen a doctor ask a nurse his/her opinion or a nurse give good suggestions that affect the patient's care plan.

What bothers me is some of these nurses on this page make it sound like doctors are mistake machines, when in reality doctors are human and are bound to miss something or make a mistake at some point...

If a patient (or potential patient) were to hear or read these comments, don't you think it'd damage or at least distort their trust in the doctor/patient relationship?

I think what really rubbed me the wrong way about this is just the way some of them word things. I completely agree that they are a valuable part of the healthcare team. I can't even begin to tell you how many times (out of the small amount of time I've shadowed/volunteered/etc.) that I've seen a doctor ask a nurse his/her opinion or a nurse give good suggestions that affect the patient's care plan.

What bothers me is some of these nurses on this page make it sound like doctors are mistake machines, when in reality doctors are human and are bound to miss something or make a mistake at some point...

If a patient (or potential patient) were to hear or read these comments, don't you think it'd damage or at least distort their trust in the doctor/patient relationship?

It's clear the implication is that they know better than the doctors. Or that doctors are too preoccupied with securing their next tee-time than actually attending to patients. Popular media is full of this.

I agree with T3A. It's all a team game. I've worked as a pharmacist for the last several years and have had several physicians act like jerks when you save their ---. On the other hand, most providers are very gracious when you have a positive impact on their patients
The moral of the story is that you should treat your team well as they can make your life wonderful or they can make it more
difficult.
The providers that think they can go it alone usually have the most difficulty and make the most mistakes.

I agree with T3A. It's all a team game. I've worked as a pharmacist for the last several years and have had several physicians act like jerks when you save their ---. On the other hand, most providers are very gracious when you have a positive impact on their patients
The moral of the story is that you should treat your team well as they can make your life wonderful or they can make it more
difficult.
The providers that think they can go it alone usually have the most difficulty and make the most mistakes.

You should be telling the nurses who started the FB group this.

No, I think physicians do a good job of that on their own.

Of course there are nurses who drank the kool-aid and talk about nursing as if they're the only ones who care about patients, but they're a small minority of the nurses I dealt with. Don't let it get to you. Surely you've had to deal with a boss who didn't have any clue what was really going on, and you probably remember it very clearly. Nurses have to put up with this, too, and some of them vent about it online... just like all of us premeds/med students/residents/attendings do on SDN.

Come to think of it, many of the threads here on SDN would be more damaging to patients' trust than anything on that facebook page.

So I guess I'm not sure why this topic strikes a nerve. Nurses and docs have very different jobs. It's not our duty to make their job easy, and it's not their job to always be meek and accept whatever we tell them. There's always going to be tension between us.

It's just psychology man. People lower on the totem pole need a release for pent up inferiority. I'm sure if those nurses could click their heels and become physicians, they'd do so in a heartbeat. And it wouldn't be because they think they'll now be able to accidentally start killing patients.

But alas they can't, they are relegated to nursing. So let them play their games while the big boys look from afar and chuckle at how cute they are.

No. :thumbdown:

And you wonder why they feel the need to make these facebook groups?

No. :thumbdown:

And you wonder why they feel the need to make these facebook groups?

And you wonder why I feel the need to denigrate their profession?

I guess it's only OK for nurses, not doctors.

And you wonder why I feel the need to denigrate their profession?

I guess it's only OK for nurses, not doctors.

They're in no way denigrating the profession - they're venting just like anyone does on SDN. It's certainly true that nurses are under-appreciated and definitely don't receive the respect they sometimes deserve.

But your implication that they're inferior and thus all of them only wish they could be physicians is exactly the reason why they feel this way. You're not better than them simply because you have a doctoral degree, and you don't know everything because of said education.

Most of them have probably been dealing with patients for as long as an intern/resident has been alive, and they certainly know plenty about medicine in general that they may not. I see it all the time in the ER.

They're in no way denigrating the profession - they're venting just like anyone does on SDN. It's certainly true that nurses are under-appreciated and definitely don't receive the respect they sometimes deserve.

But your implication that they're inferior and thus all of them only wish they could be physicians is exactly the reason why they feel this way. You're not better than them simply because you have a doctoral degree, and you don't know everything because of said education.

Most of them have probably been dealing with patients for as long as an intern/resident has been alive, and they certainly know plenty about medicine in general that they may not. I see it all the time in the ER.

The fact that you're holding them to a different standard with respect to the appropriateness of their venting vs. the appropriateness of physician venting is perpetuating the notion that they're inferior.

The fact that you're holding them to a different standard with respect to the appropriateness of their venting vs. the appropriateness of physician venting is perpetuating the notion that they're inferior.

No it's not. The venting that goes on at SDN is equivalent, imho.

I see all sorts of threads about med students bitching about their attendings and this and that. I don't see anyone crying about how inferior they are.

I agree with a lot of this.

I think a lot of the frustration stems from the lack of knowledge each profession has about the other. At this point I can't even begin to understand the amount of thought about a decision that a physician has to make before they even diagnose someone.

On the other hand, after seeing several of my friends prepare for the nursing board, I've been surprised at how much they're expected to know in two years of training.

No it's not. The venting that goes on at SDN is equivalent, imho.

I see all sorts of threads about med students bitching about their attendings and this and that. I don't see anyone crying about how inferior they are.

These nurses are making fun of doctors. I then make fun of them. You jump to their defense claiming how unfair it is for me to make fun of them.

In doing so you prove to me that deep down you think they are indeed inferior, which is why it's acceptable for them to vent in such a manner as to put physician's down.

I find it very hard to believe that if I started a FB group called (Physicians: Saving Lives while watching Nurses Shove Pastries into their Mouths with the Heel of their Hand), that you'd come to my defense with the same vigor.

These nurses are making fun of doctors. I then make fun of them. You jump to their defense claiming how unfair it is for me to make fun of them.

In doing so you prove to me that deep down you think they are indeed inferior, which is why it's acceptable for them to vent in such a manner as to put physician's down.

I find it very hard to believe that if I started a FB group called (Physicians: Saving Lives while watching Nurses Shove Pastries into their Mouths with the Heel of their Hand), that you'd come to my defense with the same vigor.

While I'm sure a lot of pissed off nurses would join, it'd be a funny group... especially if you could find a good picture.

I dont get what all this PC bull**** is about. Yea this facebook group really screams GO TEAM GO! Especially with every NP and their mom talking about how they can do they jobs of physicians on the news all the time. Only they do it better cuz they have nursing training too.

Someone tell me wth this means "IF THERE WEREN'T NURSES THERE WOULD BE NO NURSES. THEY ARE THE BACKBONE OF ANY HOSPITAL OR DOCTOR'S OFFICE"...

ummm....no crap?

If anyone believe this attitude is just playful banter, venting, or harmful inferiority issues ... go check out any of the threads in the "general residency issues" forum regarding the DNP (doctor of nursing practice) expansion/issues.

My favorite:

"I like the one that says "Do you want to talk to the doctor or the NURSE who KNOWS whats happening?""

If anyone believe this attitude is just playful banter, venting, or harmful inferiority issues ... go check out any of the threads in the "general residency issues" forum regarding the DNP (doctor of nursing practice) expansion/issues.

Well, think this is a separate from the DNP issue. I think mot of the nurses venting this way are regular med/surg floor RNs/LPNs, not DNPs looking to take over patient care without physician supervision. I agree with you totally on the DNP issue, I just think this is a separate issue.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Those who are getting all bent out of shape, relax! You have to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while. It's sarcasm and I seriously doubt patients are going to see this page and develop some sudden fear of MD's. There are plenty of groups on facebook that insult or objectify nurses as well and some of them are pretty funny!

:thumbup:

Well, think this is a separate from the DNP issue. I think mot of the nurses venting this way are regular med/surg floor RNs/LPNs, not DNPs looking to take over patient care without physician supervision. I agree with you totally on the DNP issue, I just think this is a separate issue.

Christina, everyone should have the common sense and sense of humor that you have. What makes an excellent physician is someone who is open minded and rational like you. I hope that we would get to work together some day. Being you are in NYC, its quite possible we may!

People who are narrow minded like these few people who keep insisting that all roads of nursing lead to a strong desire to take over MD roles are going to hurt the medical profession just as much as these crazy DNP's who want to take over.

I say, let them fight with each other, I could care less. People like us in the meantime, will be taking care of patients in our respective roles and living life to the fullest.

Christina, everyone should have the common sense and sense of humor that you have. What makes an excellent physician is someone who is open minded and rational like you. I hope that we would get to work together some day. Being you are in NYC, its quite possible we may!

People who are narrow minded like these few people who keep insisting that all roads of nursing lead to a strong desire to take over MD roles are going to hurt the medical profession just as much as these crazy DNP's who want to take over.

I say, let them fight with each other, I could care less. People like us in the meantime, will be taking care of patients in our respective roles and living life to the fullest.

We dont think all nurses are out to get us. There are great nurses and there are duds just like there a bad physicians and good ones.

However, the DNP is nothing more than an attempt to blur the line between physician and nurse in order to practice medicine without the training and education.

These 1000 hour "residencies" nurses are setting up are also a way to further blur the lines.

Nurses arent stupid, why would they want to practice primary care when no other physicians would either.

Heres a blog post by a physician who asked his nurse friends what they thought about nurses moving into primary care.

http://getbetterhealth.com/nurses-may-not-fill-the-primary-care-shortage-were-not-suckers/2008.11.07

"I have a friend who’s a nurse practitioner and she had to borrow over $100,000 for her education. I’m a three-year diploma nurse so technically I don’t even have a college degree - but I’m making a lot more than nurse practitioners and I don’t have all that debt. Politicians need to know that nurse practitioners can’t just “pick up the slack” from physicians. Nursing and medicine are two different specialties and we’re trained to do different things."

By pushing the primary care shortage issue they expand their practice rights and can then move onto other specialties like this dermatology "residency" they set up.

I guess I have a little bit more understanding - I work in an ED as a clerk, but also my mom is an RN, and I've heard her vent about her work almost everyday of my life. I just get why she feels the way she does and also understand that she doesn't harbor any ill will towards the doctors she works with, she just gets stressed out like anyone else!

Of course the issue, in the end, is teamwork. I think a lot of doctors like to think that nurses work FOR them, as opposed to with them - and that's certainly not the case. Everyone has to work together, and that includes the RNs looking over the medication orders before carrying them out - they're not mindless drones! :)

I like to tell people to think of it like the US government - there's a system of checks and balances to avoid mistakes, etc.

We dont think all nurses are out to get us. There are great nurses and there are duds just like there a bad physicians and good ones.

However, the DNP is nothing more than an attempt to blur the line between physician and nurse in order to practice medicine without the training and education.

These 1000 hour "residencies" nurses are setting up are also a way to further blur the lines.

Nurses arent stupid, why would they want to practice primary care when no other physicians would either.

Heres a blog post by a physician who asked his nurse friends what they thought about nurses moving into primary care.

http://getbetterhealth.com/nurses-may-not-fill-the-primary-care-shortage-were-not-suckers/2008.11.07

"I have a friend who’s a nurse practitioner and she had to borrow over $100,000 for her education. I’m a three-year diploma nurse so technically I don’t even have a college degree - but I’m making a lot more than nurse practitioners and I don’t have all that debt. Politicians need to know that nurse practitioners can’t just “pick up the slack” from physicians. Nursing and medicine are two different specialties and we’re trained to do different things."

By pushing the primary care shortage issue they expand their practice rights and can then move onto other specialties like this dermatology "residency" they set up.

All that quote means is that people should not go into NP school because they think they will make a lot of money. MD's and NP's cannot go into their respective training with the MAIN goal to make money. There is no place in medicine or nursing for people to be in it ONLY for the money. Sure if this RN in the example is only looking at money than NP school is not worth it. I know I will take a pay cut when I graduate NP school, but its worth it to me because I know I will be happier in that role.

I think its totally unfair that other practitioners can make more money than some MD's. Not that I think they should cut a nurse's salary after years of hard work and dedication, but MD compensation needs to increase or there will be no more independent MD offices, they will need to go to big groups to survive. If the MD's actually knew how much money the hospitals make off the MD's work in comparison to how they are compensated they would be sick. Attending friends I know make about 200k a year, but billed for over 3 million in one year. I have no idea how much they actually make off of nursing care, but if you actually see a bill someone gets from a hospital and they charge $50 for doing a urine pregnancy test, I'm sure not getting a cut from that! We both have important jobs and we should all be fairly compensated for what we do. The money is going into the pockets of administrators who have never touched a patient in their life, or do they take the risks we do every day.

I 100% agree that NP's are NOT trained to pick up the slack or replace MD's in any way. I think we need to distinguish the NP's going into primary care to join an MD practice and help patients achieve optimal health, from NP's who want to take over. I am willing to bet my year's salary, that 99.9% of the NP's in primary care today or those studying to become primary care NP's have NO intention of replacing MD's or going into practice without some sort of MD guidance.

Those extremists who want to play doctor should be stopped. That is a patient safety issue. I am also 100% against any practitioner who tricks patients into thinking they have more education or training than they actually have, incuding people like naturopathic doctors, lay midwives, and medication techs.

Primary care NP's are trained to diagnose and treat COMMON health care issues. That is defined in the scope of practice in every state regardless if independent practice agreements or whether they hold a doctoral degree. MD's are trained to take care of a wide variety of common and complex illnesses. Anyone who understands these basic definitions can understand that NP does not equal MD.

The purpose of these NP residencies are to give the NP additional training in a specialty area that they may not have had as a practicing nurse or in NP school. A residency trained NP will function with a broader knowledge base than an NP who didn't have this type of training. NP residencies that I am looking at say in their mission statements that the graduating NP will be an asset to a large MD group, not to go off on their own and practice. If an NP/PA residency advertises itself as equivalent training to an MD residency it should be shut down yesterday!

Years ago, hospitals were trying to train techs to replace nurses in order to save money and they failed miserably. Do you remember the advertisements on TV years ago "ask for an RN"? These techs were trained in 1 year programs how to give meds, do simple procedures such as foleys and IV's and other task oriented things that nurses do. What they found was that although they were able to teach techs how to accomplish tasks, the patient outcomes were terrible because these techs are not educated nurses who understand disease process. This will be the same truth that will be shown for any group that tries to replace MD's. Patient outcomes will suffer, because although you can teach a monkey to remove an appendix, they do not have the knowledge base to treat the disease process as a whole. The truth will set you free, and patients will demand that the leaders of their care will be MD's even if they do respect and feel they recieve good care from NP's when treated by them in an appropriate setting.

Are we even talking about the initial idea of this thread? I simply asked a question about a facebook group. In all honesty the more I read the group page (I still do occasionally) the more I feel mixed about it. A lot of people on there are legitimately just having a little fun. To be honest, I almost want to buy the shirt for a nursing friend of mine. Some may even use it as a place to vent, which is completely understandable...

On the other hand, there are some people who post comments that show some lack of respect for others in their field. Maybe it was due to a specific experience that soured their view of the physician/nurse/patient relationship or maybe they just don't have a full understanding of how other careers in their field function in relation to their own.

NYRN, I have no problem at all with you, but it seems like your comment about what makes an excellent physician is more of a stab at people you disagree with who have posted on this thread than it is a real assessment of what makes an excellent physician. I'm sorry I can't whole-heartedly laugh at the comments on the facebook group... I'm also sorry if my opinion of your last post sounds harsh, I'm really trying not to come across that way...

Personally I have no problem with FNPs, DNPs, PAs, etc. practicing medicine under the supervision of a licensed physician. I know that you (NYRN) agree with that point and if I remember correctly from another thread you stated you are against expanding independent practice rights of mid-levels.

Its sad that a few loud-mouthed people from your profession claim to speak for all NPs and are apparently angering other professionals in the medical community (at least it looks that way on SDN.. which is probably not too indicative of real life).

Sorry if I come across like a douche in this... I promise that I'm generally a funny person who appreciates good humor.

Alright, I'm done rambling.

Are we even talking about the initial idea of this thread? I simply asked a question about a facebook group. In all honesty the more I read the group page (I still do occasionally) the more I feel mixed about it. A lot of people on there are legitimately just having a little fun. To be honest, I almost want to buy the shirt for a nursing friend of mine. Some may even use it as a place to vent, which is completely understandable...

On the other hand, there are some people who post comments that show some lack of respect for others in their field. Maybe it was due to a specific experience that soured their view of the physician/nurse/patient relationship or maybe they just don't have a full understanding of how other careers in their field function in relation to their own.

NYRN, I have no problem at all with you, but it seems like your comment about what makes an excellent physician is more of a stab at people you disagree with who have posted on this thread than it is a real assessment of what makes an excellent physician. I'm sorry I can't whole-heartedly laugh at the comments on the facebook group... I'm also sorry if my opinion of your last post sounds harsh, I'm really trying not to come across that way...

Personally I have no problem with FNPs, DNPs, PAs, etc. practicing medicine under the supervision of a licensed physician. I know that you (NYRN) agree with that point and if I remember correctly from another thread you stated you are against expanding independent practice rights of mid-levels.

Its sad that a few loud-mouthed people from your profession claim to speak for all NPs and are apparently angering other professionals in the medical community (at least it looks that way on SDN.. which is probably not too indicative of real life).

Sorry if I come across like a douche in this... I promise that I'm generally a funny person who appreciates good humor.

Alright, I'm done rambling.

I'm not trying to take a stab at people who don't agree, and if it came across that way, I didn't mean it. In my opinion only, the phyisicans I work with who are open minded, have a sense of humor and are overall a well rounded person, tend to be better MD's. I am all for people coming here to vent, its healthy and we all need to do it. I just don't think its right for people to be as insulting as they are, that is not called for in any setting.

On these types of facebook pages, there will be some things said about nurses and doctors that are malicious and that I don't find funny at all. As long as we can laugh at ourselves when things are clearly to be taken tongue in cheek, I think its all good. Do you remember the old SNL skit called Staten Island Nurses?? I think that is hilarious!! Some nursing groups are upset over the show nurse jackie, but I know that its entertainment, and anyone with half a brain knows that we are not all drug addicts stealing meds from our patients.

Dude, I would join that group in a heartbeat! :laugh:

Dude, I would join that group in a heartbeat! :laugh:

The nurses that spend all day on the phone (personal calls) and shopping on the internet are much worse than the ones eating pastries. I wind up doing their work :mad:

The nurses that spend all day on the phone (personal calls) and shopping on the internet are much worse than the ones eating pastries. I wind up doing their work :mad:

Hahaha... actually the doctors in the ER that I'm in are really bad about that. I heard a tech say "If that doctor would stop looking at steering wheels for his car and start seeing patients the waiting room wouldn't be so bad"

The funniest statement I heard came from a former ER nurse who said "They're like little boys in a sandbox... always have to have the coolest toys (cars) to show off to their colleagues":laugh:

Hahaha... actually the doctors in the ER that I'm in are really bad about that. I heard a tech say "If that doctor would stop looking at steering wheels for his car and start seeing patients the waiting room wouldn't be so bad"

The funniest statement I heard came from a former ER nurse who said "They're like little boys in a sandbox... always have to have the coolest toys (cars) to show off to their colleagues":laugh:

Hahaha it's true - the ER docs I work with love to do stuff like that. If they're not shopping around, they're playing spider solitaire or MSN games like Bookworm and Text Twist, lol! But they don't reallyignore the patients for it - it's usually during downtime.

If the MD's actually knew how much money the hospitals make off the MD's work in comparison to how they are compensated they would be sick.

A lot of them were very aware of that, and that's why so many physician-owned facilities came into existence. However, that too has been reigned in upon due to the healthcare reform.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?g...cidentally-killing-you/110173628999830?ref=ts

This group seems so hateful to me... Maybe its just sarcasm at its best, but do nurses really feel like this towards doctors?

I am all for free speech and as long as this is restricted to a FB page where patients cannot gain access to it, that is fine. The problem becomes when patients hear these rumblings and start to believe that their physicians are unable to care for them. Medicine is about teamwork, yes, but it is also about TRUST. If our patients don't trust us because a group of nurses, who are supposed to be on our team, are going around telling them we are incompetent, then how exactly does this aid in their care???

I spent a good chunk of my premedical life as a CNA, working directly with nurses. I came to respect all the nurses I worked with and trust their opinion. However, when I saw them make mistakes (yes, nurses make mistakes too) I didn't create a FB page to undermine them to the patients. I also didn't call them out in the patients room or in the hallway (I have seen this happen in the hospital as well). Rather, I talked to them. We talk about teamwork, and working together but how, exactly, is a page like this, even if in good fun, helping to do this???

/rant

A lot of them were very aware of that, and that's why so many physician-owned facilities came into existence. However, that too has been reigned in upon due to the healthcare reform.

Yup, physician-owned facilities are now illegal. Lawyer owned, MBA owned, etc, no problem ... but not those greedy physicians.

Yup, physician-owned facilities are now illegal. Lawyer owned, MBA owned, etc, no problem ... but not those greedy physicians.

I'm wondering if there's any language preventing physicians' non-physician spouses from owning hospitals? Could be a way around it...

I'm wondering if there's any language preventing physicians' non-physician spouses from owning hospitals? Could be a way around it...

Checked it, they covered it. From what I can tell, the language is still pretty vague all around, and there will most likely be loopholes, but it's still such blatant discrimination and such a disgusting government move.

Checked it, they covered it. From what I can tell, the language is still pretty vague all around, and there will most likely be loopholes, but it's still such blatant discrimination and such a disgusting government move.

That's pretty lame. I don't see how it's any different than a bunch of lawyers owning a law firm, MBAs or even people with a bachelor's in business owning a business, teachers owning a private school or tutoring facility, mechanics owning garages, etc.

I can't wait to see what kind of loopholes the docs find though, as I know they'll be found and they will be interesting/entertaining.