Am I non-traditional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Am I non-traditional?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, you are a traditional student.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

missdiana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI!
I look at some of those "What is non-traditional?" thread but nothing is really clear to me.
Based on my search, Non-traditionals are people who are older than regular applicants and have another job to support themselves.

I am 24.
I transferred (Public university --> Community College for 1 semesters --> another public university)
I am soon to be graduating with BA in Biology.

I was a middle school teacher for a year (I taught electives, not those core classes. I had a supervising teacher as well)
I am a CAD/CAM manager at a dental lab now.
(I was studying while I was doing these).

I have been paying my own taxes. (I am not sure this is related to this, but just giving you more info)
I am not married or have any dependent.

I think I am a traditional student because I am graduating, but then I didn't really stay in university for 4 years like other students. I have a full time job that is somewhat related to dentistry, but not really. I had a job that has nothing to do with dentistry as well. I think I am young, then I am not 22 yrs old.

Am I a non-traditional applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

If I read it correctly you have been in school the entire time, so you're not really untraditional, but your background definitely adds to your application so it will probably help you

Reactions: 1 user
You are a non-traditional student. A traditional student enters a University and by senior year has an acceptance and matriculates into Dental School immediately after graduation. This is usually 21-22 year olds.

Times have changed. Most are non-traditional these days. Life happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if traditional or not (I'm leaning towards non-trad). I don't really think it matters much. What matter are your experiences. Being a teacher and CAD/CAM manager will look great on your application.

It doesn't really matter. The demographic of dental students is moving towards older matriculants, and if most people are non-traditional, does that change the definition of what is considered a "traditional" student? Most of my classmates entered school at 26.

You are a non-traditional student. A traditional student enters a University and by senior year has an acceptance and matriculates into Dental School immediately after graduation. This is usually 21-22 year olds.

Times have changed. Most are non-traditional these days. Life happens.

While yes, technically, a traditional student will generally enter undergraduate school and complete his or her program after 4-5 years, I'm not sure if it's considered traditional as well to matriculate into graduate school immediately after graduation. A broad definition of a traditional student is one that goes to school full time for undergrad. On the other hand, a non-traditional student would usually have setbacks that can hinder or delay his or her education like delaying enrollment, works full-time (so is only able to attend school part-time), has dependents, etc.

But for dental school admission, I'm not sure this is what the ADCOM mainly wants to see for a non-traditional student. I think they want to see those that have taken a non-traditional "route" that would distinguish themselves to the vast majority of other pre-dental students. So let's say a pre-dent that majored in English or an applicant that decided to switch to dentistry after some work/military experience.

Based on your definition, I should consider myself as a non-traditional student since I wasn't accepted into dental school on my first try. I, personally, wouldn't consider my non-traditional student just because I didn't get in the first cycle. Many others on SDN have been in a similar situation, and I don't think most of them would be considered non-traditional students as well. As @ncide said, the average demographic of matriculants leans towards 24-26 years old, not 22-23 anymore. Besides, more and more are taking a year off after undergrad. You think these applicants are considered non-traditional students? There's a reason that schools asked this, and I think it's for the most part to let them know how you overcame obstacles because of your non-traditional route.

You're definitely a nontrad, and hey fellow teacher!

@ncide, not trying to split hairs, since you've been immensely helpful to me in the past, but I personally think that older age of matriculation doesn't necessarily correspond to the downplaying of nontrad status. A lot of the older acceptances are due to increasing competitiveness (obviously) but if a 25 year old is working part time as a dental assistant, volunteering, etc. but with parental support, and spending those 3-4 years just preparing for dentistry, then yes, they're just a "traditional" applicant. But I think OP would definitely count as a nontrad, especially if she's studied through while working full-time and had full-time career experience outside of dentistry/undergrad.

Unfortunately, most schools won't give you as much of a leg-up for being a nontrad as much as you'd think, compared to an applicant who's been financially supported by living in their mom's basement. You'll still need high GPA and DAT scores.

Nonetheless, being a "true" nontrad in terms of paying your own taxes and finding your own way through dentistry (e.g. Asian parents didn't force you into dentistry) will help gain the attention of adcoms, and likely interview invites.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your definition, I should consider myself as a non-traditional student since I wasn't accepted into dental school on my first try. I, personally, wouldn't consider my non-traditional student just because I didn't get in the first cycle. Many others on SDN have been in a similar situation, and I don't think most of them would be considered non-traditional students as well. As @ncide said, the average demographic of matriculants leans towards 24-26 years old, not 22-23 anymore. Besides, more and more are taking a year off after undergrad. You think these applicants are considered non-traditional students? There's a reason that schools asked this, and I think it's for the most part to let them know how you overcame obstacles because of your non-traditional route.
The statistical evidence does not support your assertion.
2014 Age and DS 2006-2013

Doesn't help or hurt you