Am I on the right track for reapplication? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chupes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I applied this past cycle and didn't get in. I applied to 13 schools, turned in 8 secondaries and had no interviews.

Here's a little background:

Up Until First Application:
-I ended up applying very late (early Octoberish) due to laziness and lack of money and late MCAT
-I'm from Ohio, but also applied to several out of state public schools which was a mistake
-I had a cum. GPA of 3.42 in microbiology
-had a hard time in chem/o chem, got a C in 1/3 of gen chem and a C's in 2/3 of my ochem quarters
-MCAT 28Q PS8/VR10/BS10
-1 year of clinical research in retrospective chart study in surgery
-1 quarter as peer mentor in chem research labs
-about 40 hours of shadowing cards, gen surg, ER
-job experiences that shows good work ethic and ability to lead/delegate
-about 60 hours of volunteering in university hospital over the year (3hr/week)
-work during school year when able to

What's new for application in 2010 for start in fall 2011:
-finished senior year with best grades ever, all A/A- in mostly upper level science courses in microbiology
-cum. GPA raised to 3.58, graduate cum laude in Microbiology
-peer research contact for year (advised ugrads how to get involved in research via email)
-secretary of Microbiology Club for 2 quarters
-40 more hours of shadowing in gen surg
-work during school
-manuscript in progress from clinical research
-just moved to a great new city in a new state where my top choice school is
-just got a job at my top choice med school in a well funded pediatrics research lab, have opportunity to get my own project sometime hopefully
-plan to start studying for MCAT retake when I'm fully settled in the new city (still need to move into my apartment after it's repaired) (will probably retake in the new year)

Do you folks think I'm on the right track and making some decent improvements? I know I should retake an o-chem or two, but it wouldn't be feasible for me with having to start paying back my student loans in a couple months. Out of state tuition is very expensive at this school I work for. Do you think getting a job with my top choice school will help at all?

Thank for your input and advice, and I'm sorry if this was a bit lengthy.

Take care

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure you will hear a lot of this, but next time when you apply you should apply to a TON more schools. 8 is not nearly enough schools. The stuff you are doing looks great, just remember to continue volunteering in your new city. :)

If you need help choosing schools, look at the spreadsheet in what are my chances, or post on there when it is near application time for you.

Good Luck!

As a job shadowing non-medical student, suturing and Inserting catheters could be construed as assault, or practicing without a license.

I would not mention these experiences in your interviews. It may be negatively looked upon by a diligent physician reading the statements.

Members don't see this ad :)
By helping I sure as heck hope he/she only handed the packaged kit to the physician. Otherwise, sad state of medical care where ever that happened.

You're on the right track. I'd focus on the MCAT retake. Getting a score in the 32+ range will do wonders to help your chances.

Thanks buffy and gman. I will definitely concentrate on the MCAT retake.

I can't seem to find any community colleges in my new city where I can find ochem courses to retake, and the state school here has really high out of state tuition. I'm not really sure what the benefit of retaking an ochem would be compared to any benefit to my 4 yr cumulative GPA. I know its a prereq, but wouldn't getting all A's or A-'s in my last year of 500 level microbiology courses show that I could handle tough science courses?

Cleo and Just one: If you read my post, I said help. I never said I "did" anything by myself. Perhaps I should have been more clear, but all I did was open kits as directed and hand things to the physician as requested.

Your MCAT is decent if you are planning to apply to your state MD schools or if you are considering DO schools, since you have a GPA of 3.58.
If your science GPA is above a 3.5 you should be in good shape as well.
Your EC's look to be fine.

Apply to minimum 25+ schools. You must cast a wide net, especially when reapplying.

If you have time to retake the MCAT and are confident you will get a better score before reapplying, then do so. If you do worse on the MCAT the second time around it will really hurt you.
Good Luck

Well, my science gpa is about 3.50 exactly.

When I took my MCAT I didn't study physics at all or even have taken all my physics courses. I just kept running out of time and postponing, so I just registered for a date and took it regardless. I think I should be able to review everything now, since I'm just working for the year without any after work obligations. I'll just sit for the test when I feel I'm ready.