1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Am I on the right track? Starting college this August

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ClintParsons, May 26, 2008.

1. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    Wow, they really have a forum for everything. Since like age five, I've wanted to be a doctor. In high school, I was in honors classes, had a GPA of (IIRC) 3.75 or so, but never studied for anything except math. I've always been great at everything except math, which I'm average at (and did study a little and got B's and a C or two, but I could have studied more.) but I'm hoping being good at science will make up for that. I'll be going to Berry college this fall, but I really want to try and transfer into Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, or Tulane if I can get in. I really just want the name.... I was accepted into the Honors program at college (which came as a surprise since I didn't apply) so that's good... I guess I'm really just looking for some reassurance lol. Am I doing everything right? Will my average math be my downfall? I guess I'm supposed to be scared at this point in my life hehe. Of course I do plan on studying a lot in college... I'm really not the study type- I like to party-, but I've really come to the conclusion that to get where I want to be in life, I can't party every night and come to class strung-out like I did in high school. Although I don't think I did half-bad considering I never applied myself, but I do plan on working my ass off in college. I've got an all-or-nothing attitude and I don't think I can party just on the weekends and not have it spill over into the next week, so I guess I'll become a bookworm and live in the library. I'm just nervous about the whole pre-med program I'll be going into... ahhh!

So.. I'm rambling, but yeah, I guess I just wanted reassurance that I'm not going to fail miserably.... I've always had low academic self esteem even though I never had a reason to.

Clint

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Most high school classes can't be compared to the rigor of most college classes.

You wont really know how you fair until you get there.

4. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    I know, and that's why I joined lol. I don't have anyone else to ask lol. I guess I don't like the unknown. My uncle (via marriage) is a Dr. (in Dubai right now), but he hasn't seen me since I was a baby and I don't think I've ever even seen him lol. I'll actually be the first person in my immediate family to go to college.

And that was a fast reply! Thank you!

5. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Study and see how it goes. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Chemistry and biology were easy for me. First year calculus was a real pain. How the professor teaches and tests in the course matters quite a bit too.

There are too many variables to predict how you will perform in a college science curriculum without trying it out.

I'll say this though - with enough effort, most people can eek out good grades.

6. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Berry is a fine school, only transfer if it is convenient for you & your credits. Just know that your GPA will have a different "measuring stick" than those at UGA, Vandy, Emory, etc. and you will need to avoid a bad freshman GPA at all costs.

7. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    Than at UGA? Really? I didn't even finish the application to UGA once Berry accepted me, because it's a public school (no offense to anyone) and that I've heard UGA practically hands you a diploma. Lot standards.

Maybe I took what you said in a way you didn't mean it. Berry supposedly has a 90-100 % acceptance rate into med school for people who finish their pre-med program. Speaking of pre-med, that's listed as my major. I didn't know that pre-med was an actual major, just like a "track" that help you. Was that an error or something? They also gave me an $8500 per year scholarship, but that wasn't an factor in my decision. I really wanted to go to FSU (just to live in Florida..) but my parents are giving me a free ride through college and (cross your fingers!) medical school so they had a big say in it... and they said 'No! It's too far away!" hehe.

8. osumc2014

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe the first step to success is to get off sdn, it will ruin you!:D

9. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UGA has better science faculty and more research opportunities than Berry, not to mention a library of science courses to choose from. Berry has positives too, like smaller classes and better advising. But making it to med school is an individual effort. Just keep your grades up and you'll be fine.

At most universities, premed isn't a major. Some schools still offer it, and it isn't a bad idea to start out with that (or to finish with it, for that matter)

Also, that 90-100% figure is garbage designed to attract incoming students. Even if it were true, it has no bearing on you. Like I said above, med school is an individual effort.

10. anomalous738232

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well your mentality is on the right path. that's good that you're aware of your weakness-- but keep in mind, college classes are completely different from high school. biology in high school was my forte, and i falsely believed that i was naturally inclined in that subject, but biology in college sucked a$s. similar to you, i did "ok" in high school calc, but ended up doing really well in calc 1 and 2 in college. i guess it really depends. and you don't have to love studying in order to succeed. i wouldn't classify myself as a party goer, but i definitely keep up with the social aspects and have my share of fun ;) play hard, but study hard as well. if at all possible, try to avoid going into the "pre-med" mentality... although it works for some, you might find it more miserable than beneficial.

and like everyone has said... avoid SDN =p

11. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i'm curious how you knew you wanted to be a doctor when you were 5 years old....did you have an epiphany while playing operation with the other day care kids?

oh and dont worry about math...its not important whatsoever. you might have to take calculus...but thats only two courses out of your entire GPA...work hard and you will be fine.

12. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    I only did algebra I,II, geometry and trigonometry. I actually got A's in geometry and trig... Surprisingly it wasn't that hard.

What's the "pre-med" mentality and what's wrong with it?

When you were a kid, did you ever want to be a fireman, or an astronaut, or the president? For most kids like that, they say they want to do things like that then change their mind to the next career they think is cool the next day, but I wanted to be a doctor and I never wanted to do anything other than that. Anything else was never an option with my mindset.

13. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol, my path to medicine hasn't been as straightforward as I would have liked (and it might not be for you either) but I know what you mean:

[​IMG]

Me (1986ish). I was a doctor at halloween about seven times; I was R2D2 once (wasn't everyone?).

14. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stay focused, committed, determined - and you will do fine.
    Make friends, go out, learn how to balance your time.
    I suggest you don't transfer schools "just for the name," only do so if you really learn to hate your current undergrad experience.
    Learn to relax, join a club that interests you -- do not become that kid that has no social life b/c it will hurt you in the long run. Don't make your college experience only about getting into medical school - you will regret it. Learn to enjoy it!

And like someone said, don't screw up freshman year lol. Visit your pre-med advisor frequently so they get to know you as a person, not just another "pre-med."

Oh -- and this is very important. Pick a major you enjoy. TRUST ME. Don't just do a biology major because its the popular thing; you can be any major you want to be. That's cool that your school offers a pre-med major; but I would suggest you choose something else and have pre-med as you concentration...

Hope this helped and good luck!!

15. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, the above is the biggest advice out there. Pick what you can get the most out of in terms of life experience and enjoyment for a major. Everyone who applies to medical school has to take the same fairly rigorous science classes, so you may as well major in something else you truly enjoy. For me, that was philosophy. And when I interviewed for medical school, that really helped set me apart from the rest of the candidates, 75% of whom were biology or chemistry majors. Don't use college to "get a leg up" on medical school, because the biggest biochem major geniuses out there have an advantage that lasts maybe two weeks max at the very beginning of medical school, and then they're struggling along with everyone else. Just use this time to enjoy college, and work hard along the way, and medical school will happen for you if it's supposed to.

16. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As far as math goes there are majors were you can get around most math...youll probably just be required to take algebra and stats or something, but then again alot of gen chem is very calculations heavy so you might have probs there.

17. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

i guess....i'm still curious why a 5 year old wants to be a doctor. kids want to be astronauts and firemen b/c thats what they see on tv, thats what they pay with as action heros...they play with fire engines and they soar space shuttles through the air.....

there had to have been some external influence on you as a todder...was your mother a doctor? father? did you watch doctor cartoons? did you get a fake stethoscope?

i call coincidence on this one. or maybe you were just born to be a doctor....who am i to say

18. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    Nope lol. In fact until I was three, I was afraid of doctors. Go figure. I don't believe in destiny or that anyone is born to do anything; but THIS is just what I've always wanted to do. I can't tell you why I wanted to be a doctor specifically; I was like five lol. Later in life it was because I wanted to make a lot of money, and in the past five or so years It's been because I'd like to help people. Of course I'm not going to complain about the financial aspect, but that's not why I want to do it anymore. I was like.. 13 (or so) when I went from thinking about money to thinking about helping people. I'm very privileged to have an education without years of debt to follow, and recognize that (I hope I don't sound BoBo) and would like to give something back to the world when I'm in a position to do so, like Dr's without borders or something. Maybe I'm thinking far into the future, but I've really always thought far into the future my entire life hehe. Maybe I'm overly confident, but I like to think of myself as ambitious. I've always found science interesting and particularly how drugs work in the body. These substances are really amazing, I think, in how most don't really do anything but change the way other substances inside us behave. How the stereoisomer of something can behave totally differently, things like that. Maybe I'm a dork, but to me that's amazing. I don't know what it is that I want to specialize in, but I do know I don't ever want to do surgery if I can help it. I wouldn't want that kind of pressure. And definitely not a Pediatrician since I don't particularly care for children, of course my opinion could change in medschool and it wouldn't bother me anymore. For that reason I wanted to think about Family Medicine.. but I'd rather be great at one thing that OK at everything. I'll end up doing what I find most interesting and will make me the happiest, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what that is.

Maybe it was because I have always been around doctors more than any other profession (aside from like.. people working at burger king or a department store or something. You know what I mean) Since a kid I've had pretty bad chronic asthma, almost debilitating allergies, and a bit later in life I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism so I take 250 mcg's of Synthroid for that, but I had years of testing done to figure out why I was always so sleepy and cold, and not until the sixth grade did they find out why. I guess, on a subconscious level, that being exposed to so many doctors (so often) influenced me. I can't remember not being on at least three medications. My parents had the attitude of "Do whatever makes you happiest!" so it didn't come from them :p

19. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You've got me beat... I just wanna make loads of cash

20. brianmartin

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No you aren't a dork...we all think that's amazing. So you are on the right track :)

The best advice I can come up with? Don't be a typical pre-med student and become overly self-involved and obsessed. Don't plan what you're going to do based on how it will be viewed by the admissions committee. If you want to learn to play guitar, do it. Climb a mountain? Do it. People tend to over-define themselves, and spent huge amounts of unnecessary time thinking about being pre-med, constantly plotting how to get into med school. You'll meet these people as you take the pre-reqs, and I advise staying away from this scene.

21. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i didn't even decide on med school til my junior year of college... i'd say you're on the right track, bc i don't think anyone has really built much of a track to be on until maybe 2nd year of college. my advice is to focus on adapting and figuring out a major/what you like during your first year and start any posturing for med school during your 2nd and 3rd years. there is a general hype and exaggeration of the feats one needs to accomplish to get into med school.

of course, if it really surprises you that stereoisomers have different properties, maybe you are on the wrong track... just kidding ;)

...or am i?

22. ClintParsons

Pre-Medical
    Not surprising, just interesting.

23. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah i'm just giving you a hard time... i think it comes from my having brothers.

24. michwolverine

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You might do better at a smaller college than at a bigger name school, both in your grades and in getting to know professors, research opportunities, and so on.

More advice: get to know your professors. Go to their office hours; ask questions; discuss and go beyond the actual class, all in a genuine way (what actually interests you). If you have any opportunities to assist in research, get involved. Participate in any volunteering or charitable activities on campus that interest you. Find one or two and stick with that. Take English and writing classes because you will need to be able to write essays for med school apps, and it's good for your general education anyway. Read the NY Times and higher-level journals that interest you to improve your reading comprehension and logical thinking. Take logic classes.

You have a golden opportunity ahead of you, a clean slate as far as GPA goes. Take advantage of that.