Am I on the right track to getting into dental school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAUStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading some of these threads is, quite honestly, freaking me out. I am applying for the Fall 2012 and this is my progress so far:

Fall 2011, I will be a junior at Northern Arizona University. So yes, I will be applying a year early with 90 credits.

My current GPA is 3.88 and my science GPA is 4.00.

I am almost complete with the AADSAS app. I only need to finish my personal statement and I will be able to send it.

I am scheduled to take my DAT in early September.

I have 100+ hours shadowing two dentists and training as an assistant with an orthodontist.

I really don't have that much volunteer hours from college, but in high school I completed 400+ hours of community service due to being in student council and a community service club. I am planning on completing more community service this year.

I am applying to Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, University of Colorado, Oregon Health and Science University, and University of Washington.

What do you think my chances are of getting in and do you think I am applying too late??

Members don't see this ad.

Reading some of these threads is, quite honestly, freaking me out. I am applying for the Fall 2012 and this is my progress so far:

Fall 2011, I will be a junior at Northern Arizona University. So yes, I will be applying a year early with 90 credits.

My current GPA is 3.88 and my science GPA is 4.00.

I am almost complete with the AADSAS app. I only need to finish my personal statement and I will be able to send it.

I am scheduled to take my DAT in early September.

I have 100+ hours shadowing two dentists and training as an assistant with an orthodontist.

I really don't have that much volunteer hours from college, but in high school I completed 400+ hours of community service due to being in student council and a community service club. I am planning on completing more community service this year.

I am applying to Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, University of Colorado, Oregon Health and Science University, and University of Washington.

What do you think my chances are of getting in and do you think I am applying too late??

its pretty dang hard to get into dental school " a year early", especially since your AADSAS application wont be considered early. If I were you, I'd save your money and apply next year. If you do decide to go ahead and apply this year, do some research and figure out which schools do not require a degree. you're probably going to have to apply to more than 4 schools to maximize your chances of getting in without a degree.

(PS - i toured ASDOH as a sophomore with the intention of getting in a year early and they straight up told me i wouldnt get in without a degree. I have heard of students getting in a year early at midwestern, however.)

Im not overly familiar with the process as im sure some of the experts here are, but if you have the money to spend, might as well apply. If you dont get in, youre already set to apply june 1st of next cycle, and wasted maybe 1400$. in reality $1,400 is not much to spend for a possible one year advance starting date towards your career in dentistry. if this is an issue, maybe listen to other people. If youre taking your DAT in September, i believe it takes 3-4 weeks to be officially sent, so you wont be complete until October!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not overly familiar with the process as im sure some of the experts here are, but if you have the money to spend, might as well apply. If you dont get in, youre already set to apply june 1st of next cycle, and wasted maybe 1400$. in reality $1,400 is not much to spend for a possible one year advance starting date towards your career in dentistry. if this is an issue, maybe listen to other people. If youre taking your DAT in September, i believe it takes 3-4 weeks to be officially sent, so you wont be complete until October!

Thank you for some words of encouragement. This has been my career choice since I was a little girl so I am completely dedicated to getting in. However, it was only last semester that I realized I could get in with only 90 credits so I have been busting my butt to get this all done. That is why I didn't have everything ready by June. Hopefully, someone will see how I would benefit their school by being accepted.

its pretty dang hard to get into dental school " a year early", especially since your AADSAS application wont be considered early. If I were you, I'd save your money and apply next year. If you do decide to go ahead and apply this year, do some research and figure out which schools do not require a degree. you're probably going to have to apply to more than 4 schools to maximize your chances of getting in without a degree.

(PS - i toured ASDOH as a sophomore with the intention of getting in a year early and they straight up told me i wouldnt get in without a degree. I have heard of students getting in a year early at midwestern, however.)

"A formal minimum of three years (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours), but a baccalaureate degree is preferred. "
A direct quote from ASDOH's website. I understand that a degree is preferred but anything can happen, right?

Any Native American in the blood?

You're certainly on the right track to getting into dental school eventually, but the odds are against you this cycle. If you have the money, you may as well go for it since you seem to have everything in order to do so. I don't see how it would hurt. Do yourself a favor and do REALLY well on the DAT. Putting an 18 on the table in October isn't going to help you much.

As mentioned, the lack of a degree may put you at a disadvantage. Even though none of the four schools you list require a completed degree, it's rare to not have one. But it's possible and has been done.

Your selection of schools is narrow, but assuming you're a certified AZ resident, then it's a nice little set. Adding to that would certianly be to your advantage. MWU-AZ is an obvious one you should consider adding.

"A formal minimum of three years (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours), but a baccalaureate degree is preferred. "
A direct quote from ASDOH's website. I understand that a degree is preferred but anything can happen, right?

Pretty much everyone says that. So yes, you are more than welcomed to apply and it's possible to get in. It's just not the norm is all.

Just for fun, those without a degree (but >90 hours) for 2010 entering class:
ASDOH - 0
MWU-AZ - 4
Colorado - 2
Oregon - 0
Washington - 2

that may be what it says, but they specifically told me i wouldn't get in without a degree (even with my 4.0 GPA). You are right, anything can happen (especially if you are suuuuper involved in your community and have demonstrated a commitment to serve others). The 2010 ADEA guide says that 2 students were admitted to ASDOH with only 3 years of predental education. However, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado did not admit any students without bachelors degrees (these numbers were for students matriculating in 2009).

Any Native American in the blood?

You're certainly on the right track to getting into dental school eventually, but the odds are against you this cycle. If you have the money, you may as well go for it since you seem to have everything in order to do so. I don't see how it would hurt. Do yourself a favor and do REALLY well on the DAT. Putting an 18 on the table in October isn't going to help you much.

As mentioned, the lack of a degree may put you at a disadvantage. Even though none of the four schools you list require a completed degree, it's rare to not have one. But it's possible and has been done.

Your selection of schools is narrow, but assuming you're a certified AZ resident, then it's a nice little set. Adding to that would certianly be to your advantage. MWU-AZ is an obvious one you should consider adding.

I did add MWU to my list of schools. The original reason for not applying there was because their tuition price is significantly higher than ASDOH but if I am applying to out-of-state schools anyway then, why not?

And yes, I do have Native American in my blood (according to my grandma), but it wouldn't be anything significant because I am definitely white. hahah But nice profiling from NAU, specifically Flagstaff! My dad is currently the superintendent for the Native American Cultural Center being built on campus. haha

I did add MWU to my list of schools. The original reason for not applying there was because their tuition price is significantly higher than ASDOH but if I am applying to out-of-state schools anyway then, why not?

And yes, I do have Native American in my blood (according to my grandma), but it wouldn't be anything significant because I am definitely white. hahah But nice profiling from NAU, specifically Flagstaff! My dad is currently the superintendent for the Native American Cultural Center being built on campus. haha

i would definitely add MW-AZ to the list. It doesn't cost much more than ASDOH, but after interviewing at both places, i felt like it was a much better school. (other than being located in the west valley:thumbdown:)

i would definitely add MW-AZ to the list. It doesn't cost much more than ASDOH, but after interviewing at both places, i felt like it was a much better school. (other than being located in the west valley:thumbdown:)

Hahah love the west valley crack! I live in east mesa and my boyfriend lives in peoria and we are always trying to one up each other on how our side is better. BOO west valley!

Hahah love the west valley crack! I live in east mesa and my boyfriend lives in peoria and we are always trying to one up each other on how our side is better. BOO west valley!

east valley FTW. west valley sucks.

Just my experience, but looking through the official guide there are only a handful of students that get in without a degree. This last cycle I knew three of that handful and each of the three had an "in" at the school they got into (and it was the only acceptance they got). One got into the same school as their father, one the same as father and two brothers, and the third same school as father and one brother. If you don't have the connections you might be better off waiting a year.

*MWU now requires a degree

*MWU now requires a degree

Officially discouraged...

I take that back.. I will proceed and keep my head held high. The worst that can happen is that I have to finish undergrad school and apply again. The glass is not half empty or half full. It is always completely full.

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, degree breakdown:
2 YR predental edu - 0 matriculants
3 YR predental edu - 0 matriculants
4 YR predental edu - 0 matriculants
bachelors - 68 matriculants
M.S. - 2 matriculants

This is just an example... there are SOME kids who get in with only 3 years but its very very slim. Personally I think you should enjoy your time in college because you won't get another chance like it. :)

You have good stats but your dat will be super late... why not just get everything ready to go so you can apply right away at the beginning of the next cycle?

Also, another thing to think about is the difference between minimum requirements and your position as an applicant relative to other applicants. You don't get in just by surpassing a requirement. It is all about making yourself shine MORE than your competition. If all the other kids are walking in with degrees and you don't have one, don't you think that puts you at a disadvantage?

Reading this entire thread has really confused the he** out of me now..

I planned on applying the summer before my senior year (where I'll have a little over 90 credits) but there is a slim chance I'll get accepted because I haven't graduated yet? I plan on getting my bachelors before I matriculate, is that what counts?

Not trying to hijack the thread........just confused!!!! AHHHHHHHH!

I planned on applying the summer before my senior year (where I'll have a little over 90 credits) but there is a slim chance I'll get accepted because I haven't graduated yet? I plan on getting my bachelors before I matriculate, is that what counts?

what you're planning on doing, is what most people do:thumbup:. the OP wants to apply the summer before her junior year and matriculate with around 90 credits.

Last edited:

You will have your bachelors before you start dental school, assuming that you get in.

What jackbauer is saying, is correct.

what you're planning on doing, is what most people do:thumbup:. the OP wants to apply the summer before her junior year and matriculate with around 90 credits.

phewww...alright....thank you for clearing that up for me :D