Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kameronsharp13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm pre-dent ofcourse, going to be a sophomore at University of Kansas this year. Had a 3.6 gpa last semester but I slacked a little bit.

My curriculum is in line with what's necessary I think, I'm taking Ochem/Microbiology/Genetics/2 gen eds this upcoming semester. Right now I have 0 volunteer work and 0 shadowing. I personally know a dentist who will let me shadow so that should be covered and I should begin shadowing him this semester which should be great.

My question is do I NEED to get involved with research this semester? How much volunteering should I be doing? I'm trying to get more involved but I used to be a lazy stoner who only did coursework, and I'm trying to change that.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm pre-dent ofcourse, going to be a sophomore at University of Kansas this year. Had a 3.6 gpa last semester but I slacked a little bit.

My curriculum is in line with what's necessary I think, I'm taking Ochem/Microbiology/Genetics/2 gen eds this upcoming semester. Right now I have 0 volunteer work and 0 shadowing. I personally know a dentist who will let me shadow so that should be covered and I should begin shadowing him this semester which should be great.

My question is do I NEED to get involved with research this semester? How much volunteering should I be doing? I'm trying to get more involved but I used to be a lazy stoner who only did coursework, and I'm trying to change that.

You do not NEED to do research. Volunteer if you can. If you do, do something you like. Don't cater your life to your application because you think it's what they like to see. I have no idea of the average hours of volunteering.

Do your shadowing, but above all things, maintain your GPA. If extracurriculars will in any way get in the way of your grades, don't do them. Perhaps over breaks you can do some volunteering or something. Just put academics #1.

You do not NEED to do research. Volunteer if you can. If you do, do something you like. Don't cater your life to your application because you think it's what they like to see. I have no idea of the average hours of volunteering.

Do your shadowing, but above all things, maintain your GPA. If extracurriculars will in any way get in the way of your grades, don't do them. Perhaps over breaks you can do some volunteering or something. Just put academics #1.

Wow thanks for the quick reply. Your post is reassuring, as last semester that was my mindset, academics first. I think alot of students from KU apply to the UMKC's dental school which has pretty stringent shadowing/volunteering minimums.

This semester I definitely am ready to buckle down and focus on academics, I should have put effort into volunteering this summer and shadowing but there's always next summer. I see the average GPA here is like 3.8, and mines a 3.6 right now so clearly I need to work harder.

This semester I definitely am ready to buckle down and focus on academics, I should have put effort into volunteering this summer and shadowing but there's always next summer. I see the average GPA here is like 3.8, and mines a 3.6 right now so clearly I need to work harder.

Yes, academics are first. However, you really need to find a way to manage academics and volunteering. Even if you do something for just 3 hours a week, those hours add up.

As far as volunteering is concerned, next summer is too late. You will be applying next summer, and you'll be able to put down what you've done up until that point. Also, you will be pretty busy studying for the DAT in the summer as well.

Start volunteering now. Find something you like; it doesn't have to be dental related. My two main activities, for example, are volunteering 3 hours a week at an elementary school and volunteering every few weekends with Habitat for Humanity. But make sure you start soon... schools certainly expect you to have volunteer hours! :)