Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some confirmation if I am on the right track.

I am in my Sophmore year right now (Junior after this semester ends), when should I start studying for DAT and take exam? I would assume not this summer but the summer of 2011?

And when should I start APPLYING to Dental schools? (I want to apply EARLY so I have best chance at seats)

Members don't see this ad.

Take DAT after Junior year is finished so that you can enter a dental school by the time that you graduate.

You can apply to dental schools starting in June. It was June 1st last year and it's June 3rd this year so I guess it will be around at that time.
It used to be May if I remember it correctly.

As long as you submit everything by early July, I think you are good.
If you apply in June (1st batch sent to dental schools), then you have the best chance.

Take DAT after Junior year is finished so that you can enter a dental school by the time that you graduate.

You can apply to dental schools starting in June. It was June 1st last year and it's June 3rd this year so I guess it will be around at that time.a
It used to be May if I remember it correctly.

As long as you submit everything by early July, I think you are good.
If you apply in June (1st batch sent to dental schools), then you have the best chance.

Can I apply in June, study June/July and take DAT in August?

Members don't see this ad :)
August would be too late.

So I should start studying for DAT say April/May and take DAT in June?

Basically I am trying to figure out the best time to take the DAT so I have 2 months to study for it before I take test. It would seem it would be hard to do that while taking classes at school :/

August would be too late.

Taking the DAT in August isn't too late... I took it in September and things turned out fine. However, you should take the test earlier because...

1. you would want your application to be complete as soon as possible so that you are offered earlier interview dates
2. you want to have some room to re-take the test, if necessary.

Also, keep in mind that it takes a couple weeks for schools to receive your official scores. If you want to go straight into dental school from undergrad, you will need to apply the summer after your junior year.

At this point, you should do strive for a high GPA, start thinking about who you would want to write you a letter of recommendation, shadow dentists, and get involved in some extracurricular activities/volunteer work.

Taking the DAT in August isn't too late... I took it in September and things turned out fine. However, you should take the test earlier because...

1. you would want your application to be complete as soon as possible so that you are offered earlier interview dates
2. you want to have some room to re-take the test, if necessary.

Also, keep in mind that it takes a couple weeks for schools to receive your official scores. If you want to go straight into dental school from undergrad, you will need to apply the summer after your junior year.

At this point, you should do strive for a high GPA, start thinking about who you would want to write you a letter of recommendation, shadow dentists, and get involved in some extracurricular activities/volunteer work.

My GPA isnt anything skyrocketing and is a bit low, so I am aiming for an above average DAT score, which is why I want to spend the summer vacation studying for it.

Is it possible to apply say early June/end May and take DAT early August/end July?

My GPA isnt anything skyrocketing and is a bit low, so I am aiming for an above average DAT score, which is why I want to spend the summer vacation studying for it.

Is it possible to apply say early June/end May and take DAT early August/end July?

You're only a sophomore right now. There is still plenty of time to show an upward trend for your GPA.

AADSAS opens in June, but you can prepare prior to that by writing your personal statement, getting your LORs ready, making a list of your accomplishments & extracurricular activities, and researching the schools that you want to apply to. Keep in mind that your application will NOT be reviewed unless it is complete (submitted AADSAS, official DAT scores, LORs, paid application fee, and supplementary application-if applicable).

Okay no problem, you have a lot of time for applying the Dental school.

Last edited:
You're only a sophomore right now. There is still plenty of time to show an upward trend for your GPA.

AADSAS opens in June, but you can prepare prior to that by writing your personal statement, getting your LORs ready, making a list of your accomplishments & extracurricular activities, and researching the schools that you want to apply to. Keep in mind that your application will NOT be reviewed unless it is complete (submitted AADSAS, official DAT scores, LORs, paid application fee, and supplementary application-if applicable).

Isnt there a option to submit DAT scores later?

So basically if I want to apply early in June I have to take the DAT prior to June (which means studying for it April/May)?

Isnt there a option to submit DAT scores later?

So basically if I want to apply early in June I have to take the DAT prior to June (which means studying for it April/May)?

You can always submit your application first, then send in supplemental information later, such as your DAT scores and LORs. It takes time for AADSAS to process your application, your transcripts, and to mail it out to the designated schools anyways. You shouldn't worry too much. Being in the first batch or second batch does not really make any difference.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I am still confused - So I CAN submit my AADSAS early JUNE, and take my DAT early AUGUST?

Like I said before, I am trying to plan out when I should start studying for DAT, wanting to spend atleast 2 months doing it.

Sorry I am still confused - So I CAN submit my AADSAS early JUNE, and take my DAT early AUGUST?

Like I said before, I am trying to plan out when I should start studying for DAT, wanting to spend atleast 2 months doing it.

Yes, you CAN do that. But like I said before, there is NO point in applying in early June and not take the DAT until August. Your application will NOT be considered complete without your official scores. It will be complete sometime in September when the scores are processed and sent. You can do whatever you please though. Hope that finally answers your question.

Yes, you CAN do that. But like I said before, there is NO point in applying in early June and not take the DAT until August. Your application will NOT be considered complete without your official scores. It will be complete sometime in September when the scores are processed and sent. You can do whatever you please though. Hope that finally answers your question.

Ah that makes sense.

So say if I plan to take the test mid-July, then my scores would be processed mid-August - Is that still considered early?

Ah that makes sense.

So say if I plan to take the test mid-July, then my scores would be processed mid-August - Is that still considered early?

Assuming everything else is complete and paid for, yes that would be relatively early.

Assuming everything else is complete and paid for, yes that would be relatively early.

And I should submit my form and have my LOR etc done by June, or after I take DAT?

The earlier the better.

Ah so I could submit the application as early as April (when reg opens) and then once I take test in July my application would then be considered complete?

Take the DATs in the Spring if you feel prepared.

That seems to be the permanent solution if you want to be considered "early".

I'm a sophomore, too. Can't wait until next summer- no more stressing about dental school application-preparation. What dental school are you looking into woox?

Take the DATs in the Spring if you feel prepared.

That seems to be the permanent solution if you want to be considered "early".

I'm a sophomore, too. Can't wait until next summer- no more stressing about dental school application-preparation. What dental school are you looking into woox?

I am a Texas resident so somwhere here I hope.

Any there is no way I can be ready for DAT by spring, will be taking BioChem and Physics during then :/