Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently a sophomore and wanted some feedback on how I'm doing so far and what I need to improve to get into med school.

>GPA: 3.994 (science is the same, hopefully won't go below 3.85-3.9 by the time I apply/graduate)

>MCAT: planning to take by summer 2011

>ER volunteer- 1 year, ~150 hours

>Physician shadowing- will have 50hrs by the end of April (internal medicine), plan on shadowing some different specialties over the summer

>Taught 3 Junior Achievement classes for elementary school (1 per semester) and will continue to do so until I graduate (love doing this :))

>TA since summer 09 and hope to continue until graduation

>Will start to volunteer at a free clinic soon (already done with application and orientation)- hopefully will continue this until graduation as well

>Planning on trying to get into a research lab in the summer.

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
It's good that you have the nonmedical community service too, which, with the TAing makes you particularly strong in Teaching. Your clinical experience looks to be well above average by the time you apply. Definitely get in more shadowing (I think 60-80 hours split among a few specialties is a good goal). Research will help your application (about a year is average), as would a leadership experience (maybe related to the nonmedical community service if the opportunity comes up). Don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors; all of these are good to include on your application. You want to look well-rounded, and if possible, unique.

naijaboi

MS0
Nov 20, 2009
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
Awesome stats. Keep it up. Get a >35 MCAT and you'll probably be looking at a top-10 school.