Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immunomed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting on a couple schools for interview invites, but at this point I am not expecting anything. I am planning to reapply this June. My biggest mistake is that I submitted my primary late in july, but it did not get verified until the beginning of September.
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.46
These GPAs are including my post-bacc program.
MCAT: first attempt 26P
2nd attempt 32Q

Research:
1.5 years with 2 publications

Clinical:
1.8 years of volunteering and still continuing. 2 awards from this program.

Non-clinical:
3 years of translation experience at church.
3 years of Sunday School teacher
2 years of Young adult ministry leader at church
4 years of private tutor experience
8 years of volunteering at a multicultural organization

New things on application:
I will have 1 month of shadow experience
I just got a scribe job that I will start in May.
I am continuing with all my activities except my research activity.
rewriting my personal statement and essays.

Is there anything that I can do to improve more or am I on the right track? Much feedback would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is good for MD, but your GPA is a couple points lower than average for MD especially after post bacc, and this might be your weak point. However, I still think with your GPA and MCAT that if you apply to MD programs WISELY on June 1 you will get an acceptance as long as you have no serious red flags, etc. Also make sure your essay writing skills and interview skills are honed.

Also, if you are thinking about DO as a backup your stats are solid and I would apply DO on June 1 as well. Make sure you shadow a DO to get a DO letter.

Best wishes to a successful cycle!:)

Thank you very much! I am also planning on applying to DO schools. I was just wondering though, what schools are suggested for my status?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your state residency?

Looking good. Apply broadly to MD and select DO and you should get in.

Survivor DO

California...:oops:

Ouch, I feel for you guys.

MD-wise I would say Rosalind Franklin and possibly EVMS or VCUSM. The latter two appear relatively OOS friendly, though I have yet to get a definitive answer as to whether or not the number of OOS students they take may actually reflect a regional preference. I would defintiely apply DO as well, though I would research the schools to determine which seem like a good fit for you and are well established.