Am I on track for an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpatel9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore, by the time I apply following my jr. year, here's what I will probably have done:

-Biology major; econ minor: 3.6cgpa, 3.7sgpa (taking into account my first semester freshman year I dealt with a personal situation and ended with a 3.09 cgpa)
-32 mcat
-Strong lor's from 2 doctors, o-chem prof, and physics prof.

-Certified EMT-B, 100+ hours clinical experience
-150+ hours of shadowing (2 orthopedic surgeons, 1 pediatrician, 1 ob/gyn)
-5 months of research in a psych lab, 4 hours/week
-1 year of research in a genetics lab, 6 hours/week
-50 hours of basic volunteering at a hospital (had to stop because I tore my ACL and didn't have time/ability to do it with rehab, etc.)
-President of a SASA (diversity org.), member of APO (service fraternity), membership in 2 other orgs, and youth mentor in a non-college religious group

What do you guys think will be my chances of getting into an MD school? Any suggestions on how to improve my chances? Appreciate any and all input... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which state are you a resident of?

Your chances at receiving an MD acceptance are good. There's not much else that you can do except focus on maintaining your GPA. Apply early and interview well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed...the 32 MCAT you speak of is hypothetical? Honestly, until you take the actual test or have several practice scores, it's pretty much impossible to make judgments on your app. Just keep your grades up until then.

With the projected stats and experience, i'd say your chances of an acceptance somewhere are pretty good assuming a compelling Personal Statement, strong LORs (you'll need one from a non-science instructor also), and good interview skills.

The only suggestion I'd make would be to get in weekly nonmedical/noncampus community service. Two hours weekly would be fine. The youth mentor thing might fit the bill, depending on what you do. And what does the service frat accomplish? That might help, too.

If you're short on time and need to trim something back, about 80 hours of shadowing would be enough.