Am I on track for Pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lcindian18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, so I have just finished my first semester of college as a freshman in Pre-Pharm. I ended with a 3.75 GPA. I took a dual-credit class in high school to test out of Gen Chem first semester, but I got a C+ in it.. I know I have to submit that to PharmCas, but how bad does that hurt me in the long run? I had an internship at a small independent pharmacy this past summer and I had volunteered at Rush Hospital in Chicago as a pharm tech over my Christmas break. I am also in 4 science-related clubs at school. Can anyone give me some feedback about this Chemistry grade and how it will effect me?

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine. Keep the rest of your prerequisite grades up and stay involved with clubs and pharmacies

Are you sure? I don't want it to screw me in the long run... Especially becuase I can always retake it in college if I need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can retake but pharmcas will take your previous grade and average the two. One C is not a big deal.

Oh really? I didn't even know that.. Are you currently in pharmacy school?

oh okay! well goodluck.. one more question. should I put all work experience on my app even if it is not related to pharm school?

oh okay! well goodluck.. one more question. should I put all work experience on my app even if it is not related to pharm school?
I put all of my work experience even if they're not health-related. Anything can give them a better view of you as a person, what you can do/have done. Your jobs can say a lot about you, don't hesitate to include it in your application.

Okay guys, so I have just finished my first semester of college as a freshman in Pre-Pharm. I ended with a 3.75 GPA. I took a dual-credit class in high school to test out of Gen Chem first semester, but I got a C+ in it.. I know I have to submit that to PharmCas, but how bad does that hurt me in the long run? I had an internship at a small independent pharmacy this past summer and I had volunteered at Rush Hospital in Chicago as a pharm tech over my Christmas break. I am also in 4 science-related clubs at school. Can anyone give me some feedback about this Chemistry grade and how it will effect me?

LOOKING AT IT NOW...
Now that i am here, If you have the time, repeat that class with the C+
All my prereqs r A or B for all sci classes but stupid calc came out with a C and that still drags down my gpa. I am passed the stage of worrying about it so much, but at the time of looking at my PharmCAS gpa, i wished i had just repeated it in time before that.

okay thank you guys.. I have a lot of work experience non-health related. that's why I asked. And yeah I will consider retaking it. As much as I don't want to, I think it will probably better me.

Hi,

So It looks like you did well, and a C+ is not a big deal. I had many. One of my biggest recommendations to the people in the Pre-Pharmacy track, think twice about this path! I am currently a 3rd year pharmacy student at one of the top 5 schools of pharmacy! There is a big Surplus of Pharmacists and people are graduating and unable to find a JOB! This will probably go on for the next 15 to 20 years. So for those in College or ready to apply to pharmacy school, i would rethink it. I wish I had. There are too many pharmacists and not enough jobs! The pay is going down for our services because we are essentially disposable. Employers can find a pharmacist rather quickly. I know about 50 people who graduated last year in my areas who still have not been able to find a job. SO word of advice, think twice.

In my opinion, one C+ won't hurt you much, as long as you keep your GPA high for the next semesters. In order to do so, I would recommend you to restudy and master the Gen Chem materials, either on your own or by retaking the class if you can. Why? From my experience, you will need a strong foundation of Gen Chem for your future prerequisite courses such as OChem, Biochem, Physiology (if required) and maybe more, as well as the courses in pharmacy schools. Once you have the foundation, things will be much easier for you and you will more likely to earn a high grade in those courses. Good luck :)

Hi,

So It looks like you did well, and a C+ is not a big deal. I had many. One of my biggest recommendations to the people in the Pre-Pharmacy track, think twice about this path! I am currently a 3rd year pharmacy student at one of the top 5 schools of pharmacy! There is a big Surplus of Pharmacists and people are graduating and unable to find a JOB! This will probably go on for the next 15 to 20 years. So for those in College or ready to apply to pharmacy school, i would rethink it. I wish I had. There are too many pharmacists and not enough jobs! The pay is going down for our services because we are essentially disposable. Employers can find a pharmacist rather quickly. I know about 50 people who graduated last year in my areas who still have not been able to find a job. SO word of advice, think twice.

Dana, I understand exactly what you mean. But I actually have a very close friend who owns an independent pharmacy. So if worst came to worst, he would hire me with out a doubt lol. But I appreciate the help you guys! it means a lot.